Feb 04, 2020, 06:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco
I've flown the ASW-20 a few times but not in really good conditions until the weekend. Saturday was my second longest soaring flight with any glider - over 40 minutes off an aerotow. With no vario and being used to the way a lightweight F5J signals lift I was very happy to find and work lots of different patches of lift. And the ASW-20 sure steps out and covers ground really well when it's time to move. It feels a bit odd that circling in a thermal is fast enough to hear a faint whistle, but but super impressive that a model with about 4 times the wingloading I'm used to can soar so well,

That was the good. The bad was realising I forgot the landing gear at about 3 feet off the ground. The smart thing would have been to just land gear up, but no, I panicked and tried to put the gear down and power up to go around. The result was an ugly landing with a bit of a cartwheel from a wingtip to the nose. Fortunately damage was light, but ended flying for the day - all 3 sets of batteries unused. The main wheel bent, but is now straightened out. The main problem is the seam on the bottom of the aft fuselage for about 15" forward of the fin has opened up. The joining tape is intact but is unstuck on one side, so I expect to be able to fix it by opening up the gap and working some resin in.

So the advice I'm seeking is what resin to use. It will need to be fairly slow curing and thin so I can work it in to the gap and have plenty of time to tape up the boom nice and tight to close the gap. Appreciate any suggestions.
If you don't do much building, West System Handy Repair Pack probably has enough for your repair.
Latest blog entry: Is-4 Jastrzab Build
to remove ads between posts
Feb 04, 2020, 04:25 PM
Pieced together a fuse using west systems epoxy 105 and hardner 206. I mixed in some Cabisol to keep it from running as much.

Good luck.
Feb 04, 2020, 07:13 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. Hopefully not a hard job
Apr 18, 2020, 12:23 AM
I will be selling a pristine ASW 20 next week with Covers and windshield cover RTF
MB3
Apr 25, 2020, 11:40 PM

Ready for tail boom repair - I think

I have my West 105 epoxy, as well as some milled fibreglass.

The split in the tail boom is from a narrow piece of fibreglass joining tape de-bonded from 1 fuselage half.

Squeezing the fuse opens up the gap and I think I can get resin in there ok.
The picture is the bonded side pressed down to open up the joint. Released it come back flush.

Should I add milled fibreglass to the resin - I understand it can help if there is a small gap between the fuse skin and the joining tape?
Apr 26, 2020, 09:44 AM
I wouldn't add anything to it to add thickness and block the halves from coming together tight. Get epoxy in there and tape it tight while it hardens. You've got a good lap joint inside.
Apr 26, 2020, 12:56 PM
Colloidal silica is probably a better choice than milled fibers if you are just trying to keep the resin from sagging or running. It flows better too so you can load the mix up in a syringe or piping bag for easy application.
Dec 01, 2020, 11:25 AM
Slopeflicker
so how do they keep the iron on film from bubbling?
Dec 01, 2020, 06:25 PM
How much for the ASW 20
Dec 01, 2020, 07:18 PM
Old guy who plays with toys
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireblade47
How much for the ASW 20
How much for what ASW 20?
Dec 01, 2020, 11:33 PM
THE EYE posted a sale of an ASW 20
Dec 02, 2020, 02:09 AM
Search the Classifieds forum for ASW-20. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/sear...y=%22asw-20%22
Jan 15, 2021, 11:18 AM

New to me asw20

Thanks to Les I have my asw20! Really looking forward to building and flying this one!
Yesterday, 10:07 AM
Really nice flying sailplanes. Wax and spray PVA on the exterior of the seat pan then glass one over it. 3 layers of 4oz. cloth plenty but use thinner stuff and filler in resin at sharp corners at the rear of the pan. Pop that off and use that for the model. Keep the 'lip' on the top edge so the pan sits on the top edge of cockpit ooening. The canopy will clear it. I made 6 or 7 pans for friends before mine started to 'etch' from the polyester resins used. Wash it well then spray rattle can primer on it before putting the red felt trim in it. Or paint it a different color altogether!

Quick Reply