KATIE MARTIN TRIBUTE 5 June 6 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jan 06, 2015, 11:08 PM
Life is better now
Discussion

KATIE MARTIN TRIBUTE 5 June 6

Hi Fellow Slope Flyers:

It’s that time of year again to announce the 5th Annual Katie Martin Tribute Fly-In. The event in the USA will again be hosted by the Torrey Pines Gulls at the beautiful Torrey Pines Gliderport slope near San Diego.
I have not yet confirmed it but again this year, our good friends in Great Britain, Spain and Venezuela will probably be holding Tributes to Katie also.
The last two years were a truly international event and my sincere thanks to everyone, here and overseas that came together to honor Katie.

The date is June 6th at the world famous bluff of Torrey Pines beginning at 12 noon PDT.

Here is a map on how to get to the gliderport if you do not know. This link came from the Torrey Pines Gulls web site:
http://www.torreypinesgulls.org/torreys.htm

I wanted to get the word out so those that wish to attend will have time to make arrangements and those overseas can begin planning too.

I encourage you all to make plans to attend and let know what you will be bringing. Remember, this event is to honor Katie and enjoy a day of flying, food, fun, raffle, meeting old friends and making new ones. Any brand of sailplane is welcome.

If you wish to know more about the beginning and history of the Katie Martin Tribute click HERE.

Watch for more news and comments on this thread soon.

Bob Martin

For those that may not know about Torrey Pines and the rules to fly there.....let me assure you, it is easy and really worth the effort.
Now for the rules of flying Torrey Pines. Here are the rules and requirements:

1) Current proof of AMA membership
2) There is an insurance waiver that must be signed before flying. This is done at the flight shack at the south portion of the gliderport. This takes about 10 minutes and normally results in writers cramp if done properly.
3) The cost of your share of the insurance burden is $10.00/day or $200.00/year for unlimited access. This will be paid when you accomplish item #4.
4) You must sign in on the flying roster at the counter in the flight shack with your name, AMA # and the date of expiration of AMA. You will be required to show your card to the administration person at the counter.

Torrey Pines is an active airport and must follow stringent rules, plus it is a park in the city of San Diego who requires these rules to be in place.
Most of you that will be attending are most likely not Gulls members, and are not rated to fly at Torrey Pines.
You are however allowed to fly Torrey as a Gulls guest as long as all of the above requirments are met. You must have a Gulls member as a spotter at all times If you fly as a guest.
You can also join the club and get a rating and fly unattended.
You must have a qualified Gull to give you a rating. Ratings simple to aquire and only take about 20 minutes or so.
If you have any questions of comments on flying Torrey Pines, please direct them to Ray (Rockbus)(TPG Slope Coordinator) Also check out the Gulls web site, ( http://www.torreypinesgulls.org/ ) it is a very nice site with quite a bit of information.
Last edited by bob57hdt; Jan 17, 2015 at 06:20 PM. Reason: more info
to remove ads between posts
Jan 06, 2015, 11:14 PM
It was just a flesh wound!
Sounds great, Bob...looking forward to it. One of the high points of the year!

Dale
Jan 07, 2015, 02:13 AM
Aeronca Driver
Hi Bob. I will be there. Look forward to this event every year. Always a great group of people show up and all have a great time. Katie would love it.

-john
Jan 07, 2015, 04:33 PM
hello bob, i used to fly your coyote in the windy rolling hills of shell ridge in walnut creek ca. i miss the plane very much i went through 3 of em! do you know where i can find a coyote kit? any ideas? thank you very much hope all is well...tim s
Jan 07, 2015, 06:04 PM
Mongo like wind. Wind Good.
Way cool Bob.

I am building the Katie Superhawk G3 right now. (along with 12 other G1's and a minihawk , LOL!)

I will see if I can be there this year. If I can it would be great to see you again. The Torrey Pines Gulls are terrific hosts and the site is, well, world class for soaring.

Keep bumping the thread as this is a great event to attend if you can.

Turbulence and barfbags!

Jan 08, 2015, 05:22 PM
Life is better now

Coyote

Tim,
Check RC Groups for listings. It seems that most folks are not eager to give up their Coyote but you might get lucky. There is always eBay but they are usually nib kits and are a bit pricey. Good luck in your search.
Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by timsky74
hello bob, i used to fly your coyote in the windy rolling hills of shell ridge in walnut creek ca. i miss the plane very much i went through 3 of em! do you know where i can find a coyote kit? any ideas? thank you very much hope all is well...tim s
Jan 08, 2015, 07:39 PM
Kits and planes show up regularly on Ebay. Got to love those vintage SR-7's.

I bet a few will turn out for the tribute this year.
Last edited by V1VrV2; Jan 09, 2015 at 04:42 AM.
Jan 11, 2015, 07:15 AM
gonzalo contreras

HI Bob..

Hi my friend.

I follow your thread to the succes, i send to you the SR-7 in box in few weeks, but i`m waiting to buy the materials to paint the fuse, the stores are closed until january 20... I send to you a private msg soon.

Regards.

Gonzalo Contreras.
Jan 11, 2015, 12:36 PM
Life is better now
Good to hear from you my friend. I worry about your situation and hope it improves this year. Happy to see you and your Venezuela buddies are on board again this year. I wish you good conditions this year. I am anxious to see your SR-7.
Best
Bob
Jan 11, 2015, 03:05 PM
Dragons, WindMills, all Same
Hi,
Coyote SS in Indy.
May be willing to let go, dirt cheap.
Glass fuse, snub nose, shortened wing, removable wings tips, wider flaperons, dual wing servos, T6 Alum load tube, dadada. Needs a complete refurb and new tails.
Shipping would be very expensive.

Best flying Coyote I ever flew or saw and would love to see her fly again, especially at the Tribute.

Jared
SoCal for 53 years
Jan 13, 2015, 01:44 AM
Hey Bob,

Remember I said I met you years ago at a model expo in Long Beach years ago? I just found this with my paperwork today and remembered I picked it up from you at the show. Amazing I still had it!

Katie was there too. You guys were super busy.

Cheers!
Jan 13, 2015, 03:36 AM
Life is better now
Tony,
That flyer was before we got permission to market it as a HOBIE HAWK. Everyone knew what it was but Coast Catamaran own the trade name "Hobie" and wanted to make sure we lived up to the quality that Hobie stood for. Hobie visited us and inspected our production and recommended Coast Catamaran license us to use the trade name HOBIE HAWK and they did. It was only right that it carried the name of the designer! Great memories, thanks.
Jan 13, 2015, 12:43 PM
characters welcome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by V1VrV2
Hey Bob,

Remember I said I met you years ago at a model expo in Long Beach years ago? I just found this with my paperwork today and remembered I picked it up from you at the show. Amazing I still had it!

Katie was there too. You guys were super busy.

Cheers!
Now, THAT'S a collectible!

mw
Jan 13, 2015, 02:40 PM
Oh man!!!!
i cant wait. A great event for a great woman!!!!!
Jan 13, 2015, 02:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by V1VrV2
Way cool Bob.

I am building the Katie Superhawk G3 right now. (along with 12 other G1's and a minihawk , LOL!)

I will see if I can be there this year. If I can it would be great to see you again. The Torrey Pines Gulls are terrific hosts and the site is, well, world class for soaring.

Keep bumping the thread as this is a great event to attend if you can.

Turbulence and barfbags!

This is VERY COOL!!!!!