Jan 18, 2020, 04:30 PM
Bret Martin

Windows C++ Visual 2005 component

I have windows 7 Pro 64 bit. I installed the Windows C++ Visual 2005 component right from Microsoft and no help. It pops up: Can't open .xup file.
Any new ideas?
to remove ads between posts
Jan 18, 2020, 06:00 PM
3 Blades is Better Than 2!
Look in your Windows Event log. I should find an error message that corresponds to the error that popped up. It may have more information that will help explain what's wrong.

Kman
Jan 18, 2020, 06:09 PM
Bret Martin
Thanks for the advise. I think I have exhausted my ability with computers. I only have two of them so the easy way out is just put something else in and spend this time building or flying.
Jan 18, 2020, 07:27 PM
3 Blades is Better Than 2!
I dont blame you. Computers and software can be so frustrating. I work with them on a daily basis and the only nice thing I can say about them is that they provide good job security because they always need fixing, updating, or upgrading

Kman
Jan 19, 2020, 05:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman24
I dont blame you. Computers and software can be so frustrating. I work with them on a daily basis and the only nice thing I can say about them is that they provide good job security because they always need fixing, updating, or upgrading

Kman
Right on! The only person on this planet that really understands how to make these gadgets work is the guy that wrote the app and he don't speak English.

Zep
Jan 25, 2020, 07:52 PM
why are you trying to open an .xup file? It's a Binary file. You need to run the ZTW PC assistant program software and point it at the .xup which is then written to the esc. See page 1 of the thread. If the PC assistant is the issue, the issue may be 64 bit windows. Not sure if it was written for 32 bit software like XP/Vista.
Jan 25, 2020, 07:56 PM
https://www.motionrc.com/pages/ztw-e...g-support-page for the software as Altitude page no longer works. I will test this on Windows 10 as I have a Gecko 45A and the program box for it.
Jan 27, 2020, 10:49 AM
Bret Martin

Problem solved

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed2004
why are you trying to open an .xup file? It's a Binary file. You need to run the ZTW PC assistant program software and point it at the .xup which is then written to the esc. See page 1 of the thread. If the PC assistant is the issue, the issue may be 64 bit windows. Not sure if it was written for 32 bit software like XP/Vista.
Because I don't know what I am doing. I wanted to like ZTW. I have 6 of their boat escs. So so luck with them. Thought I would try them in airplanes. Bought 2 and they worked for a while. Now they just both screech and shut off. Bought a Manta and it "works". When first moving the throttle it growls for an instant and then works. I tried all the timing setting from Auto to 30 deg. It growls the least on 30 deg timing.
I solved the problem by ordering more Hobbywing ESCS. I have some in boats, cars, airplanes, and EDF jets. I have never had to "update" or what ever. They just work. Can't remember why I tried ZTW, wish I hadn't
Jan 30, 2020, 02:13 PM

Well, damn..

Ok fellas,

Looks like I might be in same boat with an ESC of this type purchased from him in March of 2019. I have the programmer inbound, but am having same errors with the program loading to the computer as described earlier. In checking my files on the computer my 2005 C+++ components are at level 8.6 blah blah blah.. The only downloads that I can find are of the 8.5 vintage (through Microsoft). I have downloaded them but not installed as have reservations about basically backdating my setup to try and get this to work...

My problem with my ESC that I have is no throttle response at a fully charged 6s level (25.2 vdc), at a depleated level (below 25vdc) the ESC seems to work. I have my travels and endpoint set correctly at 100%. I have been told by Motion tech support that this is indicative of the firmware issues. I’m running one of Suppo’s 4120 (Power 60 equivalent) motors that is rated for 6s ops.

Contact to Garrett has not been responded to (as of this writing). Called and messaged him through his website (as he was my supplier for said ESC)..

So right now, I’m pretty frustrated with the whole mess..

On a side note, Motion suggested ditching this thing all together and purchasing a Castle unit.. I may be forced with that soon if the inbound programmer fails to help...

Any thoughts on this???

JC

Austin, Tx
Jan 30, 2020, 03:16 PM
Blue Skies
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Cunny
Ok fellas,

Looks like I might be in same boat with an ESC of this type purchased from him in March of 2019. I have the programmer inbound, but am having same errors with the program loading to the computer as described earlier. In checking my files on the computer my 2005 C+++ components are at level 8.6 blah blah blah.. The only downloads that I can find are of the 8.5 vintage (through Microsoft). I have downloaded them but not installed as have reservations about basically backdating my setup to try and get this to work...

My problem with my ESC that I have is no throttle response at a fully charged 6s level (25.2 vdc), at a depleated level (below 25vdc) the ESC seems to work. I have my travels and endpoint set correctly at 100%. I have been told by Motion tech support that this is indicative of the firmware issues. I’m running one of Suppo’s 4120 (Power 60 equivalent) motors that is rated for 6s ops.

Contact to Garrett has not been responded to (as of this writing). Called and messaged him through his website (as he was my supplier for said ESC)..

So right now, I’m pretty frustrated with the whole mess..

On a side note, Motion suggested ditching this thing all together and purchasing a Castle unit.. I may be forced with that soon if the inbound programmer fails to help...

Any thoughts on this???

JC

Austin, Tx
JC, have you done a calibration on the ESC with your Tx and a motor? My 85A ESC would not work until I got it calibrated. And it would not calibrate at anything other than a (-)100% low throttle travel value. Having the end points set won't be enough. It's only after the calibration is done that it can recognize the end points.

I did get it to calibrate at (-)125% but the motor would only spin once. After that it would not spin again until it was unplugged and then repowered. A calibration at (-)100% was the only way I am able to get mine to work. And it's fine there on 2 different planes.

Here are the rest of my settings as read off the ZTW 85A ESC program card.

1. Brake - OFF
2. Batt Type - LiPo
3. Volt Prot(ection?) - 3.0V/60%
4. Motor Timing - AUTO
5. SBEC - 5.0V
6. Governor Mode -RPM OFF
7. Motor Rotation - Forward
8. Start Strength - 30% (important)
9. Cut Off Type - REDUCE POWER
Don
Jan 31, 2020, 04:16 AM

That all sounds familiar

Don,

I have tried the throttle cal, both at 125% and 100%. Both do exactly what you described. One start up and thatís it. But with the lesser charged battery, it works all the time. Thanks for the settings, when my programmer arrives, Iíll compare yours to what mine is presently.

JC

Austin, Tx
Feb 03, 2020, 09:01 AM

Forget this...

Well Fellas,

Programmer arrived settings were verified.. All were good, but went through them again.. in fact, the whole process of calibration.. Same result! A fully charged 6s (25.2vdc) battery is no bueno, 24 volts (depleted 6s) works fine. Tested many times.. I have made the call to just dump this project. I’m going with another brand of ESC. I shouldn’t have to backdate my personal computer’s working OS to attempt to load firmware on an ESC that by all accounts should function and have this updated firmware already, since it was purchased in March of last year.

In regards to Garrett and Altitude Hobbies, since he has never attempted to contact me in any form after I initiated a dialog with him concerning this issue, this will be my last order with him and his company. If you fail to support your customers, then you really should re-evaluate your business practices..

Since the ESC SEEMS TO WORK at lower voltages, I now will just keep it for lesser power setups (below 6s), if I even use it all. The whole endeavor has left me unconvinced of its quality in general.

JC

Austin, Tx
Last edited by J_Cunny; Feb 03, 2020 at 09:33 AM.

Quick Reply