Jan 06, 2015, 09:47 PM
Alert

ZTW Gecko FIRMWARE UPDATE to fix timing issues

11/07/16 UPDATE: all Gecko ESCs are now shipping from Altitude Hobbies with the latest firmware files pre-installed. Follow the instructions below to update your existing ESC if you are experiencing timing issues.

Hey, everyone –

As many of you know, the ZTW Gecko ESCs began experiencing timing issues with many of the new Motrolfly motors which would cause commutation errors or a glitching during run up. Altitude Hobbies has been working hard with ZTW over the past several months to fix this issue, and we believe we have. ZTW has developed new firmware updates for both the SBEC and HV OPTO versions of the ESCs. We have tested the SBEC update with several Motrolfly motors and it seems to have fixed the issue; we’re still waiting on test reports with the OPTO firmware, but are fairly confident it will work well also.

Therefore, if you would like to receive this updates, please send us an email to support@altitudehobbies.com and we would be happy to send it to you.

P.S. There’s lots of discussion threads going on about this issue, and I cant possibly cover them all. So, I’m posting this in a few places to hopefully spread the word as much as possible.

SBEC VERSION ONLY download link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By_...ew?usp=sharing

OPTO HV VERSION ONLY (NEW): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By_...ew?usp=sharing

OPTO HV VERSION ONLY (Original):

NOTE: difference between NEW and ORIGINAL OPTO versions.....the original file is the "original" firmware these ESCs came with when released a couple of years ago. The new file is a brand new version developed by ZTW. We've found both are successful in fixing the timing issue, it just depends on your motor. We suggest trying the "new" version first. If that does not work, try the "original" -- one will do the trick.

IMPORTANT!! HOW TO UPDATE:

1. Download and install the ZTW PC Assistant software (download link in item description here: http://www.altitudehobbies.com/ztw-g...djustable-sbec).

2. Follow the instructions that came with your ESC to connect it to your computer. If you no longer have these instructions, you can download them on our website. To connect an SBEC version ESC, it is as simple as connecting the card to the computer via the USB cable, and connecting the ESC to the card via the signal cable. Then, connect the ESC power connector to a standard lipo battery. For an OPTO HV ESC, you must also connect a 4.8-6.0v battery into the batt port on the side of the program card to provide power to the unit since the OPTO models do not have an internal BEC to power the card. Note: if you open the PC assistant software and none of the buttons are "clickable," there is a connection error or the card is not powered properly.

3. Open the ZTW PC Assistant Software. Click the circular button labeled "General" (second from left near the top of the screen). On the "general" screen, click the "update settings" button. This will open a file command window. Navigate to find the .xup firmware file that you downloaded and saved to your computer from the links above and choose to install that file on your ESC. This is all you need to do...once it is done loading, the ESC has been updated!

NOTE!!!! We have had issues with customers selecting one of the options ("LCD program box" or "ESC speed controller") under the "device" drop-down menu on the top navigation bar. DO NOT DO THIS! We have found this can cause the program to try to flash the firmware to the program card instead of the ESC and will cause the card to fail. You DO NOT need to select one of these options. If you accidentally select one, close the program and open it again....then, follow the above instructions (select "general" and then "update settings" -- this is all you need to do).

Thanks,
Garret @ Altitude Hobbies
Last edited by Garret H; Nov 07, 2016 at 09:00 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 22, 2015, 06:17 PM
How about posting the dang file so we don't have to wait days for you to answer your emails.....
Jul 22, 2015, 06:29 PM
"Just Do It!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by JurassicJet
How about posting the dang file so we don't have to wait days for you to answer your emails.....
Exactly! I can't fly because of this. I've been waiting for 2 days now for a reply and nothing. Can someone on here please email me the firmware that works for them?
Last edited by jgale; Jul 22, 2015 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Sp
Jul 22, 2015, 07:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgale
Exactly! I can't fly because of this. I've been waiting for 2 days now for a reply and nothing. Can someone on here please email me the firmware that works for them?
You sent me an email yesterday at 1pm (not two days ago)....then you proceeded to call a personal (home) phone number not listed on our website, send me a facebook message, and five more emails from two different accounts within a couple hours of each other. Please understand we get over 50 emails a day in additional to normal business operations so it sometimes takes us a day or two to reply to all of them. Regardless, check your email because you have the file.

P.S. The file cannot be uploaded or even linked to in the thread because it is not a supported file type. When linked, it produces a string of garbled characters which is why people must email us for the file. We get many emails a day for this file and try hard to reply to all requests within 1-2 business days.

Garret
Last edited by Garret H; Jul 22, 2015 at 07:37 PM.
Jul 23, 2015, 07:30 AM
I am a nice guy! Really!
Um, perhaps you could post a link to a website where the file could be downloaded. You have a website don't you?
Jul 23, 2015, 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garret H
You sent me an email yesterday at 1pm (not two days ago)....then you proceeded to call a personal (home) phone number not listed on our website, send me a facebook message, and five more emails from two different accounts within a couple hours of each other. Please understand we get over 50 emails a day in additional to normal business operations so it sometimes takes us a day or two to reply to all of them. Regardless, check your email because you have the file.

P.S. The file cannot be uploaded or even linked to in the thread because it is not a supported file type. When linked, it produces a string of garbled characters which is why people must email us for the file. We get many emails a day for this file and try hard to reply to all requests within 1-2 business days.

Garret
I am actually the one who called your house (your Mom?). Why did I do this? Because last week I asked about a motor and it took three days for a response. Did I care about that, not really, because it was just a potential sale for you. No skin off of my nose. So when a plane is grounded and no phone number is listed on a website, yeah, I start to dig.
I guess I am used to service like Randy at RcDude gives. Ships same day. Emails answered with a few hours. Phone number listed and he actually picks up.
I know the person I talked to last night said that you were in school and leave early and get home late and then have to study. Maybe you should put a disclaimer on your website that this is only a part time gig and you will get around to shipping orders and answering emails when you feel like.
When a customer asks for info, it should not be days before a reply is granted. Don't give me excuses, give me results.

Oh, and I am sure that there is a way to host the file, and not just emailing it to everyone that asks for it.
Jul 23, 2015, 08:04 PM
Quote:
I am actually the one who called your house (your Mom?). Why did I do this? Because last week I asked about a motor and it took three days for a response. Did I care about that, not really, because it was just a potential sale for you. No skin off of my nose. So when a plane is grounded and no phone number is listed on a website, yeah, I start to dig.
I guess I am used to service like Randy at RcDude gives. Ships same day. Emails answered with a few hours. Phone number listed and he actually picks up.
I know the person I talked to last night said that you were in school and leave early and get home late and then have to study. Maybe you should put a disclaimer on your website that this is only a part time gig and you will get around to shipping orders and answering emails when you feel like.
When a customer asks for info, it should not be days before a reply is granted. Don't give me excuses, give me results.

Oh, and I am sure that there is a way to host the file, and not just emailing it to
everyone that asks for it.
These are our contact options:

http://www.altitudehobbies.com/index...mation/contact

The fact that our phone number is not there probably means we don't offer phone support. We are an online business and choose to handle support by email. When we did offer phone support, there was days I quite literally spent the entire day on the phone answering questions from people who would look up an item on HobbyKing's website, call me because they knew being a US store that I would answer, then go buy from HobbyKing. After a while, you quickly realize it isn't worth it...it greatly increased my order processing times and provided little increase in business for the reason listed above.

Having been in business for over 4 years and having been like RCDude for most of those, I will tell you that it is near impossible to sustain that type of service for very long unless you are Horizon Hobby and even they often take more than a day to write customers back. We are a small business that is tasked with having to keep prices low due to international competition which means our profit margins are not conducive to hiring full time customer service reps like everyone assumes is the simply answer. Because of discount stores in China, everyone has sadly come to expect cheap prices and impeccable service from US vendors and the two rarely go together. This is a side business for me which I have operated in much the same way for four years; we operate entirely online and have our website setup in an easy to navigate manner so that anyone can place an order there without having to call. Due to time constraints, we no longer offer phone support, but we do work hard to answer all emails. Granted, we may not get back to them within "hours" but I don't think a 1-2 business day reply time is out of line. You emailed at 7am in the morning, and when I didn't reply by noon, you proceeded to barrage us with contact attempts. Emails are mostly answered at night due to my schedule which means you would have gotten the file that evening regardless. As part of being an online business, our main priority is shipping orders quickly; we have a full-time order processing employee which means most orders are fulfilled next-day. If 1 day processing times and 1-2 day email turn around is unacceptable to you, I guess I don't know what to say. You got the file in 24 hours so I don't know what better "results" you are demanding.

And to answer your question, I've tried directly linking the file, and the file type causes it to not link correctly. Also, the other reason we instructed people to email is because the files for the SBEC and OPTO versions are different...if mixed up (which we had people do), it will fry the ESC. I've finally discovered a way to host it through google drive, so here's the link for the SBEC VERSION ONLY for anyone needing it.

Garret
Last edited by Garret H; Jul 23, 2015 at 08:18 PM.
Jul 23, 2015, 09:27 PM
You are talking to two different people in that last post. JGale asked for the file and emailed you whenever. Don't know his timeline.

You have a contact option. No plural there. Email or nothing.

And....I'm not "demanding" results, that is your wording, not mine.

I believe that you should put a disclaimer that it may be days before you reply to an inquiry. 2-3 days for a response (remember, my email was 3 days) is a while to wait. Especially when your website states.... "If you ever experience any issues with our products, please email or call us right away -- we'll make sure to resolve the issue. Our number one priority is keeping you flying with quality products at great prices!" (You definitely need to change that wording since there is apparently no acceptable way of calling you).
Quote:
In most cases, email is the fastest and prefered way to reach us concerning product or order support:
Your idea of quick response and my idea of a quick response are apparently diametrically opposed.

In the end, it really does not matter to me. You probably just lost two customers, but then again, you told me to buy from someone else anyhow.
Jul 23, 2015, 09:58 PM
Quote:
You are talking to two different people in that last post. JGale asked for the file and emailed you whenever. Don't know his timeline.
The message I got was from a Neil H who was calling on behalf of a friend named Jeremy G. You both live in WI within 50 miles of one another and your phone numbers have the same area code. You also both posted comments in this thread within 15 minutes of one another with the same subject matter. Seems like to me you are not separate people like you are trying to make me believe. The email I got concerning a motor from a Neil H in WI (who I am assuming is you) came on Thursday. Yes, I did not reply until Sunday but your email stated:

I am considering the Suppo 7035 - 8 for a large P-40 build. Not that I need it right now, but do you normally have them in stock or is it a special order item?

If you were in such a big hurry, maybe you should have stated that instead of saying you weren't in a hurry? Also, the website shows that item as in stock so I don't really understand the point of your question. If it is only a special order item, why would it show as in stock? Seems like you could have answered that question by simply reading the website.

Quote:
You have a contact option. No plural there. Email or nothing.
That is my preferred method of contact and is posted on the website for anyone to read. If you did not like that option, you should have ordered elsewhere.

Quote:
And....I'm not "demanding" results, that is your wording, not mine.
You stated you "wanted results" -- seems pretty demanding to me.

Quote:
In the end, it really does not matter to me. You probably just lost two customers, but then again, you told me to buy from someone else anyhow.
That's the beauty of the free market system. I answered your question (which you stated you were not in a hurry for) on a Sunday (when I'm normally closed but was trying to get caught up on work). And I responded to your friend's request for the firmware file in 24 hours. If that isn't satisfactory for you, I suppose it would be best if you look elsewhere from now on because I will clearly never be able to satisfy your unreasonable demands (not sure if any shop can).

Garret
Jul 23, 2015, 10:22 PM
All I can say is "WOW".

You should write a short story titled "How to get rid of customers".

Apparently business is so good you don't need customers.
I have dealt with a lot of business in my lifetime and if you think I am unreasonable, you have a lot to learn kid.
Jul 23, 2015, 10:35 PM
Quote:
All I can say is "WOW".

You should write a short story titled "How to get rid of customers".

Apparently business is so good you don't need customers.
I have dealt with a lot of business in my lifetime and if you think I am unreasonable, you have a lot to learn kid.
haha! Says the person who flat out lied to me and tried to escalate the situation by having his friend also post not thinking I would know the two were connected.

You may have dealt with a lot of businesses, but I've owned them. Come back and talk after you have. And my business, which I worked very hard to grow from scratch, is very successful. And part of that is because I don't let myself be brought down or controlled by customers who get their jollies out of whining and complaining about anything they can.

Quote:
You have a lot to learn kid.
haha, if you only knew. That's so laughable it isn't even worthy of a response.

Garret
Jul 23, 2015, 11:00 PM
No where did I try to hide anything nor did I lie to you. That is absolutely ridiculous. Go ahead, twist this around.

You have not idea who I am or what I do.

I really hope this thread shows up in searches for Altitude Hobbies. It really does show your true colors. You really should change the name to Attitude Hobbies.
Jul 23, 2015, 11:09 PM
Quote:
No where did I try to hide anything nor did I lie to you.
Actually you did. You tried to act like you and jgale were two entirely separate entities in order to make the situation seem worse than it was. When, in reality, you were calling me on behalf of jgale to ask the same question. And when I called you out on it, you twisted it around and attacked my business model and work ethic.

Quote:
You have not idea who I am or what I do.
Likewise; as I said, AH is a side business. Yet you drew untrue conclusions based upon your own bias.

Quote:
I really hope this thread shows up in searches for Altitude Hobbies.
I'm sure people can draw their own conclusions from reading your comments.

Garret
Jul 24, 2015, 11:47 PM
I came to me own conclusion. And that is some people need to realize 2 things 1st this is a hobby it's not life threatening . 2nd the world does not revolve around you. I can't believe how many demanding pricks are on these forums.
Jul 27, 2015, 08:33 PM
I just saw this thread after trying my Gecko 85 amp esc with a Hacker A40 10s V2. Throttles up nice and smooth until about 3/4 throttle then screeches. Happens with quick throttle applications as well. Will this firmware resolve this with Hacker motors as well? If so, I will order the usb interface from Altitude hobby. If not, I'll just move this esc to another non-hacker airplane.

Mike