Jan 06, 2015, 03:22 AM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Thread OP
Build Log

Depron Saab JAS 39 Gripen

EDIT ...

Here are the plans for The Gripen, I have modified some parts and as yet these mods are untested

Please, if you find any mistakes let me know and I will change

All I ask is that ... if you build this model, please post some pics of your build and if possible a video of the maiden

The decal sheets are too big to post as PDF's (6.5 and 10 mb) so if anyone would like them, please drop me an email and I will send them to you (please state which ones you would like)

Because I have changed the front section and there is no reference to it being built this way in the photo build log, I have included a couple of sketches of the new front section build here. The reason for changing this was to make it easier to build and also make the front a little stronger ... needs a bit of sanding though

Plans are now available at: http://www.lockeysrcplans.com

Please enjoy

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Dec 04, 2016 at 07:34 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 06, 2015, 04:00 AM
Thread OP
Expecting All up weight with 1800 – 2200 / 3s battery ... D2826-6 2200kv Outrunner Motor … 6x4E propeller … Turnigy Plush 40amp Speed Controller to be about 700 grams (24.7ounces)

Sister ship Saab Viggen https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0#post30385053 came out around this weight and is about the same size

Lockey
Jan 06, 2015, 07:42 AM
When cows fly!

Gonna watch this one!

Would love to build this one, but I have 4 planes in various stages of progress. But I will be following this one very closely. Love your builds!

David
Jan 06, 2015, 05:33 PM
I have the plans cut out for a JS44 at 50% scale (Half Pint) already. I'd be glad to put it on the back burner, if I could do your's at 50% scale.

Ksqm
Jan 06, 2015, 07:10 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksqm
I have the plans cut out for a JS44 at 50% scale (Half Pint) already. I'd be glad to put it on the back burner, if I could do your's at 50% scale.

Ksqm

Go for it Ksqm, I would love to see that ... would you build her as a pusher or a EDF ?

Lockey
Jan 06, 2015, 07:42 PM
For simplicity, I would do pusher first. It would also give me an idea of the demensions and framing. Then I could double back and do an EDF. Already have gear for both. Been wanting to do one of your builds, two...

Ksqm
Jan 06, 2015, 08:03 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
For simplicity, I would do pusher first. It would also give me an idea of the demensions and framing. Then I could double back and do an EDF. Already have gear for both. Been wanting to do one of your builds, two...

Ksqm
Thanks ksqm, I assume you will be using 3 mm Depron for most of the build ?

Look forward to seeing your build mate, I too will be building it as a pusher, but will maybe build it as an EDF if it flies well

Drop me a PM with your email and I will send you the plans/patterns ... I assume you can reduce them OK

Lockey
Jan 06, 2015, 11:01 PM
Thread OP
Hi ksqm, plans sent to your email, look forward to seeing pics of your build, please let me know if you find any mistakes as they are untested

Anyone else like to have a go at a full size one ??

Lockey
Jan 07, 2015, 01:26 AM
Lockey,

Received the plans and scaled down. Will print them out in the morning, US East Coast time, and get started cutting foam.

Ksqm
Jan 07, 2015, 04:53 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Lockey,

Received the plans and scaled down. Will print them out in the morning, US East Coast time, and get started cutting foam.

Ksqm
Good stuff Aaron, look forward to seeing some build pics ... good luck with it mate

By the way, I was looking at the Viggen and the Gripen and thought ... If I combine the two, take away the canards and do a few mods I will have a Mirage ... so guess what ... so far (see pic)

Lockey
Jan 07, 2015, 09:18 AM
Wonderful looking forward to see the build of the Gripen.
The Harrier and Mirage 2000 was demo flying at the 1993 Avia India Air Show held in Bangalore
The Mirage - 2000 [length 24"] Black & White photo is a scratch built all balsa static model built by my brother Vino.
All pictures taken by me.
Last edited by Ponappa; Jan 07, 2015 at 09:44 AM. Reason: added pictures
Jan 07, 2015, 01:03 PM
Danish?Ain' dat' sommin U eat?
What is your typ. 6mm depron sheet size? (Mine are 500x1000mm)
Jan 07, 2015, 07:18 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for the pics Ponappa, your brother builds a nice model

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKChris
What is your typ. 6mm depron sheet size? (Mine are 500x1000mm)
Our sheets of Depron are 1000 x 700

Lockey
Jan 08, 2015, 04:58 AM
As a Swede, it's always nice to see people building "our" aircraft! I build a Steve Shumate Gripen once, but it had a rather hard meeting with mother earh where it was totally destroyed. Your Gripen seems to be more scale than Steve's so I'll keep an eye on this thread because a Gripen is always welcome in my fleet! Will the canard be controlled?

If you want inspirational photos of the Gripen, check out SAAB's photogallery from Axalp on Flicr
Jan 08, 2015, 05:08 AM
Thread OP
Thanks kalleman, yes mate the canards will be functional on this one

I will be changing the thread to a build log soon as I have started cutting out and ksqm is also building a pint size one (50% of the full size) I think it will probably look something like this (see pic)

I am really looking forward to seeing his build log, it should be very interesting and enjoyable

If anyone else would like to have a shot at the build, please drop me a PM with your email address and I will send you the plans/patterns

Lockey

Quick Reply