Nice Pics!
to remove ads between posts
May 12, 2015, 04:48 PM
usaf3kteam
Very cool pics thanks
May 25, 2015, 05:02 PM

IHLG ContestThanks

Hi Mike Smith and company, sorry for the late response, but
I just wanted to thank you guys for a great time at Poway.

I had a run of bad luck 10 days before the contest when I suffered 3 mysterious lock-ups on my Snipes. Wrecked three wings and had to repair them all before the weekend of the contest, but I still made it there, and with the worse case of bronchitis I ever had! I had no idea where I stood after the two days until someone tapped me on the shoulder Sunday afternoon and said great things to me about a good standing in sportsman. Well, for my second time at this affair, I had not expected my win! The surprise was the name John Erickson associated with the trophy. Had flown the Masters with John twice, and after his encouragement, participated in my first DHLG contest with John. He was a special guy, and always fun to fly with!

The most satisfying time for me was as a timer for a beginner, and to talk him through getting both his 4 minute flights in really challenging air. Shows him he can do it, and I think he will back again! Mission accomplished! All the guys from TOSS had a great time flying, meeting folks, and helping to fix planes literally on the fly!

Looking forward to next year,

Gary Filice
May 29, 2015, 09:16 AM
I'm not as bad as they say.
Epilogue
My treed airplane made it home.
I continue to be awed by the the kindness and helpfulness of others in the DLG sport. Tom Kiesling went out of his way to get my plane down and back to me, despite his own busy schedule.
Also to thanks to those who helped at their own expense. Pat, Ivan, Doug, Csaba (?), Clif and others.
Thanks!
Latest blog entry: AIrcraft I've built.
May 29, 2015, 04:17 PM
No really, it doesn't have one
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnowell129
Epilogue
My treed airplane made it home.
I continue to be awed by the the kindness and helpfulness of others in the DLG sport. Tom Kiesling went out of his way to get my plane down and back to me, despite his own busy schedule.
Also to thanks to those who helped at their own expense. Pat, Ivan, Doug, Csaba (?), Clif and others.
Thanks!
Glad to hear you got it back home Mickey! It is amazing how great the people in this sport are. Last year I treed a plane at the IHLGF (sorry again Chris) and Mike Smith, who I had never met before, was kind enough to get it from the tree climber and arrange for Doug C. to bring it to the CalChallenge for me. Their willingness to help out a newbie, who was also a complete stranger to them just a few days before really made an impression on me and was one of the big reasons I came back again this year.

Clif
May 29, 2015, 09:51 PM
usaf3kteam
Yes it is great cheers
Jun 12, 2015, 03:44 PM
Launching!

Some great news!

Gents,

I just wanted to drop in and leave a note from the IHLGF 2015.

Through the continuing support of our sponsors and the generous participation of the pilots in the contest, raffle and auctions, 2015 was another successful year for the International.

The Torrey Pines Gulls are committed to fostering opportunities encourage growth and competition in our great sport…..so once again, the Gulls have decided to step up…….

I am pleased to announce that the Torrey Pines Gulls Soaring Club is making a $2,000 donation to the USA F3K Team.

On behalf of the Board of Directors and all of our club members, I would like to formally say thank you to all of the competitors, to our sponsors, and our volunteers. You enable this event to be successful, and without you, events like this wouldn’t be possible.

Good luck to the 2015 USA F3K Team, you guys are gonna ROCK!

All the best!

Dan Cummins
2015 President, Torrey Pines Gulls
Jun 12, 2015, 04:05 PM
or GPS, F, J, K, or even TD
Thread OP

!!!!! Ihlgf donation announcement !!!!! again

ATTENTION TEAM USA F3K!

The Torrey Pines Gulls through it's success with the International Hand Launch Glider Festival has just approved a donation matching last year's.

$2,000 will be donated to Team USA F3K for this year's trip to Croatia for F3K WC #3!

I am proud to make this announcement knowing that this brings the total contribution by the Torrey Pines Gulls and the IHLGF to $4,000!

First I have to acknowledge the club. The Torrey Pines Gulls has always been a top notch organization for fostering enthusiasm for RC Soaring of all kinds. As it relates to DLG and F3K, we have been at this competition business for 22 years going on 23 next May, and each and every year, the club digs deep to make sure that the event gets the manpower and financial support along with a "can do" open minded attitude that really allows things to get done the way they need to be done. I am so proud to be a long time member of AMA Charter Club #129.

Of course I must acknowledge all the pilots that travel from all corners of the world to participate. Seeing pilots from Hong Kong, China, Taiwan, Germany, New Zealand, Czech Republic, Russia, Sweden, Brazil, and Canada travel all the way to Poway, California to fly our comp is truly humbling. Not to mention all the locals from nearby places like Escondido and those that travel all the way from Scripps Ranch! 6 miles of the easiest commuting ever!!! And of course all the participants from all over the US that have made the IHLGF their "can't miss" contest of the year. Without you pilots and your desire to compete, there would be no IHLGF and there would be no donation to the US Team. Thank you all very much. Give yourselves a big hand.

Good luck Team USA. You are only about a month away, but you will do great out in Croatia. I hope you all have a great time.

Cheers from the TPG and the IHLGF

Mike Smith
Jun 12, 2015, 04:40 PM
UAV Test Pilot
Awesome news! Thanks to Mike and everyone involved with the TPG!
Jun 12, 2015, 04:46 PM
Where is the lift?
You guys are amazing, Thank You!

Charlie
Jun 12, 2015, 05:44 PM
usaf3kteam
Ya that is very cool sure had fun this year and flew ok. Thanks as always to all you guys involved in putting o contest all over the US, sure have lots of them. Cheers
Jun 12, 2015, 07:58 PM
M Seid
HOW. COOL. IS. THAT?

Thank you again MOST to the pilots that continue to travel to san diego to make this event what it is!
Aug 09, 2015, 05:57 PM
Is there a "traditional" date set for this contest?
Or is there a tentative date set?
I'm planning on being there, but have to plan way ahead right now with work (work trips already scheduled for January ).
Aug 09, 2015, 08:26 PM
M Seid
Mickey, the first weekend in May has been what we've done the last few years. We have quite a number of intl pilots that have given us strong indications they are planning on coming. No official date has been released yet but that doesn't mean we can't discuss it internally and get something published. Thanks for posting.
Aug 10, 2015, 06:06 AM
Thanks Mike.
I will pencil in the first weekend in May.

Quick Reply