Jan 05, 2015, 09:03 AM
Platinum Card Member
Thread OP
FAQ

Jet Drive Boats

I thought we could use a forum for all Jet Drive rc boats here since the NQD jetsprint thread evolved into something different. Please post pics, videos, builds, questions and suggestions on any jet drive boats here. I will start it with a recent Pursuit conversion I just completed. I put a 40mm KMB PowerJet into a non-stepped Pursuit hull and here are some pics of the beginning of the project.
Last edited by sundogz; Sep 14, 2020 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Name change!
to remove ads between posts
Jan 05, 2015, 09:16 AM
Platinum Card Member
Thread OP
Terry235 posted a question on that other thread about a boat with a Leopard 5692 that is burning up esc's. I have a question for him first: What KV is the motor you are using?
Last edited by sundogz; Jan 05, 2015 at 09:36 AM. Reason: 5692,not 5602!
Jan 05, 2015, 09:43 AM
Platinum Card Member
Thread OP
As you can see, the powerjet requires you to remove quite a chunk of the hull for installation much unlike other drives that just need a hole in the transom and the inlet port cut out. On a previous build (batboat) I installed the same type drive more or less on the 'outside' of the hull but on this build I'm putting it inside (flush mounted) for lack of a better way to describe it. This requires extra notches in the bottom of the transom so I can slide it in from the back. This made a stronger mount, and will result in a more recessed drive.
Jan 05, 2015, 09:53 AM
speed-boater
Hmmh, your hull doesn´t have the right shape for a jet drive. We have here some very experienced race-boats guys converting a deep-V mono hull to jet-drive, but they all flatten the hull in this area.
The area where the jet drive gets the water in should be flat.
I expect you will have problems to get enough water in there.

Here you can find a HowTo for the mounting of a jet - unfortunately in german language.

And here the installation and operating manual ftr the 28 KMB Jet in english.
Last edited by rbachmann; Jan 05, 2015 at 10:04 AM.
Jan 05, 2015, 10:20 AM
Hey Sunny D...
Looks like a great build,,,, supa sleek
nice shaped hull for control at speed,,
the flat bottom boats do tend to spin out easy,
and are very hard to control in movin water,,,
good luck with build bud
Mark...
Jan 05, 2015, 10:31 AM
Platinum Card Member
Thread OP
Thank you for your interest, rbachmann. This is just the beginning of mods to the hull to incorporate the drive. There are several ways to install jet drives in v-hull boats. Like you said, one way is to flatten an area (in the mold) near the transom to facilitate the pump. This makes for an easy installation. Another is to add a flattened area (nacelles) to the hull. I have a boat from BBY that Randy custom installed a nacelles on a mold and vacuum molded an ABS plastic hull for me to try. But it ultimately provided too much lift and resulted in a boat that porpoised (hopped) badly no matter where the COG was. Also, the transom was not 90 degrees vertical so I had to recess it a bit to fit it properly. I even tried a trim plate to no avail. Here are some pics
Last edited by sundogz; Jan 05, 2015 at 11:50 AM.
Jan 05, 2015, 11:48 AM
Platinum Card Member
Thread OP
Thanks Mark! This hull has a more rounded keel than most V-hulls, so instead of a sharp delta that is typically used to direct water into the intake I chose to keep it smooth and round (like Italians design cars and guns). I used carbon fibre for a platform and built it up outside to make the transition smooth. It is not a secret that I cannot paint worth a hoot (and couldn't find a color to match) so I went down and dirty with black enamel, sanding between coats and finally decided to just leave it alone, as it will no doubt end up scuffed soon enough. I tried to get a good pic of it, but you be the judge. It looks rough where its sanded thru to the FG, but if you feel it, it is real smooth. Good paint would show that better, but it's like sheetrock mudding, the more I mess with it the worse it looks.
Last edited by sundogz; Jan 05, 2015 at 12:03 PM.
Jan 05, 2015, 12:05 PM
speed-boater
Ah, that looks much better for me than the first pics with the cutted hull.
Now i know what you mean and how you created the intake.

Very interesting solution - i am curious to see that nice boat running.

Roland
Jan 05, 2015, 12:48 PM
Platinum Card Member
Thread OP
Thank you Roland. I just finished the boat, but will have to wait a while for it to warm up a bit as it is the middle of winter here. The Pursuit hull is very lightweight and even flexes a bit, so I decided to lay down a (thick) pad of carbon fibre to set the motor mount on. I'm sorry that I didn't take pics throughout the build - only afterwards, so you will have to imagine some of this. I used a piece of prefab carbon battery tray from Kintec to span across the hull over the jet drive to put the steering servo in and other goodies on. It made it convenient and safe from water intrusion (though there should be none of that with this drive). It was cleaner looking before I decided to install a separate bec which mucked up the looks. But this is a cheap Chinese made 200A 7S esc and I don't trust the built-in sbec, so clipped the red wire and ...well you know the rest. I stiffened up the area in front of the motor with another carbon tray but the 6S lipo (two 3S 5800ma lipos in series)will go side by side, just resting one side on the tray. Because of orientation, the speed control leads were too short, so I used double 12ga wire to make jumpers terminating with 8mm bullets.
Jan 05, 2015, 12:54 PM

Leopard

Here is the specs on the 5692 and cheap prices on Leopard motors.
http://www.atomikrc.com/collections/...rc-buggies-and
As usual my mistake there are a few 5692's but still cheap prices.
Last edited by flexator; Jan 05, 2015 at 01:14 PM.
Jan 05, 2015, 01:03 PM
LUV IT !!!
You've created a monster ))
Ha Ha....
Jan 05, 2015, 02:10 PM
Platinum Card Member
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by flexator
Here is the specs on the 5692 and cheap prices on Leopard motors.
http://www.atomikrc.com/collections/...rc-buggies-and
As usual my mistake there are a few 5692's but still cheap prices.

Yep, Terry235 hasn't gotten back yet, but the 730kv 5692 is the one to have on that boat for sure. I would run it on 10S to keep the amps low enough to use a Castle Creations Phoenix Edge 160 HV esc. Sounds bulletproof to me, and should be plenty fast. But in the interest of full disclosure I have not run this setup yet (or anyone else I know) and it is just (my) gut feelings. Maybe someone with experience with this motor lashed to a jet drive will speak up.
Last edited by sundogz; Jan 05, 2015 at 02:26 PM.
Jan 05, 2015, 03:34 PM
Nice to see a thread just about Jet drives, subscribed to this .
Jan 05, 2015, 04:18 PM
Platinum Card Member
Thread OP
Thank you Michael, for your contributions to the betterment of the hobby (owner of MickieBeez.com jet drives for those that aren't familiar) . I think once the smoke clears, there will be an abundance of participation. Interest in jet drives is not dead, it's just scattered all over the planet. Consider yourself a platinum member - whateverthehellthatmeans! Dave
Last edited by sundogz; Jan 05, 2015 at 04:19 PM. Reason: bad grammar
Jan 05, 2015, 05:27 PM
Thankyou Dave, I will try to chime in from now and then. I dont believe that the Jet drives are dead either, still selling jet units and hulls, so the numbers do not lie.
Lets try to keep this thread to building and running jetsprints eh....

Quick Reply