Horizon Hobby & Blade's FPV Nano QX RTF With Fat Shark Vision System Review

The Nano QX is a proven high quality ultra micro quadcopter to which they have added an FPV system featuring a Fat Shark RC vision system. RTF nothing else is needed to experience First Person Video flying.

Splash

Introduction

Length: 5.5"
Width: 5.5"
Weight: 0.77 oz
Camera: Spektrum ultra micro FPV camera
Goggles: Fat Shark Teleporter V4 headset with head tracking
Transmitter: Blade MLP4DSM 4-CH 2.4GHz
Headset Battery: 2S 760mAh LiPo
Flight Battery: 1S 150mAh LiPo
Motors: Four 6mm brushed coreless motors with rotors
Receiver Board: 2.4GHz with DSMX technology
Experience Level: Beginner on up
Recommended Environment: Indoor/Outdoor
Manufacturer: Blade
Available From: Horizon Hobby
Price: $419.99 RTF

The FPV Nano QX comes fully assembled and Ready to Fly. The kit includes everything necessary for FPV (First Person Video) flying. I will cover the FPV system in the heart of this review but I want to start with a discussion of the Nano QX quad-copter.

The Blade Nano QX without FPV has been available for over a year both RTF and BNF. I have been flying mine for over a year and have found it to be a very stable and responsive flyer. This year I gave three as presents to family members for Christmas. Two have reported success in learning to fly their Nano QXs and I am waiting to hear from the third. I bring this up because it is critical that the camera platform be a good flyer or the addition of FPV would be meaningless. Blade started with an excellent flying micro quad. They were able to add the camera and the FPV transmitter to it and have the total weight be only slightly more than 3/4s of an ounce which is also excellent. The range of the video is reported as between 150 feet and 300 feet depending on the area and possible radio interference. I have gotten the 300 feet in a range test at a local football field but I generally limit my flying to under a 100 feet. The results have been very good.

The FPV Nano QX has Safe Technology which helps with precision hovering and stabilized flying in two flight modes: Stability mode and Agility mode. Stability mode limits pitch and roll at the transmitter no matter how far the control sticks are moved. This limited flight envelope along with the built in self leveling the moment the sticks are released greatly helps with control for the Beginner or newer pilot. The AS3X Technology helps adjust for wind gusts and other movements not generated by pilot command. It is in both flight modes and I find it beneficial.

The Agility Mode removes the movement limitations on pitch and roll aerobatic maneuvers can be performed. To switch between the Stability Mode and the Agility Mode I just depress the transmitters right stick for a moment.

Nano QX FPV RTF and BNF by Blade (2 min 2 sec)

Kit Contents

The Kit Contents

• FPV Nano with camera and transmitter RTF
  • 1S 150mah flight battery
  • USB charger for flight battery
  • Blade MLp4SMD transmitter
  • 4 AA Alkaline batteries for transmitter
  • Instruction Manual & Starter and Warranty information
  • Fat Shark headset
  • Antenna for headset
  • Battery for headset
  • Charger for headset battery
  • Cleaning cloth for headset
  • Fat Shark storage pouch

Key Features Promoted by Blade

Key Features

• SAFE® technology makes RC flight easy
  • Spektrum™ ultra micro FPV camera installed
  • Fat Shark Teleporter V4 5.8GHz headset with digital head tracking
  • SpiroNET circular polarized antenna system
  • Small enough to fly in any room or office
  • Tough, lightweight airframe with blade guards
  • Potent brushed motors that provide smooth and powerful lift
  • Ultra micro 4-in-1 DSMX® receiver/ESCs/mixer/SAFE sensor unit
  • Replacement rotor blades, included
  • E-flite® 1S 3.7V 150mAh 45C Li-Po flight battery, included
  • Compact USB 1S Li-Po flight battery charger, included
  • 4-channel 2.4GHz transmitter with Spektrum™ DSMX technology
  • Rechargeable 760mAh 2S 7.4V Li-Po headset battery and AC charger
  • Zippered headset bag and lens cleaning cloth
  • No FCC License Required

What is FPV?

First Person View (FPV) has taken our hobby by storm and the vast majority of RC Group members are already familiar with it. However, if you are new to this aspect of the hobby I have posted the You Tube video from Horizon Hobby that explains FPV. This video covers this better than I could explain it in 10,000 plus words. If you already understand FPV and how it works go on to the next section.

HorizonHobby.com Product Overview - What Is FPV? (16 min 11 sec)

The Fat Shark Teleporter V4 headset with Digital Head Tracking

Warning: Do not power up the headset or downlink kit without the antenna attached. Doing so will damage the transmitter and receiver amplifiers. Amplifier damage is not covered by warranty.

The goggles that come with the FPV Nano QX are from Fat Shark and have features that are available only in this combination with the Spektrum system. Some of the features in the goggles will not be used with the FPV Nano QX but are available for use with other camera systems you might acquire in the future. For example the goggles can receive both video and audio signals but with the FPV Nano QX there is no sound signal so that feature is not used with the FPV Nano QX. The goggles also have head tracking available when connected with a transmitter where the camera pans when the pilot moves his head from side to side. That feature requires a pan control with the camera which is sold for park flyers separately but is not available with the FPV Nano QX. I am really happy to have these additional features available in the goggles that I can use with my larger planes and a new pan camera and transmitter combo in the future. I am especially pleased to have the head tracking capability for use in future projects.

Head Tracking

Since the enclosed camera on the FPV Nano QX does not have pan and tilt controls true Head Tacking will have to wait for future projects. However. if the button on the top center of the goggles is pushed and held down for a second the camera switches to a zoomed in view. This allows for a larger view of a smaller area in front of the camera. To get back to normal view just press and the hold the top center button on the goggles down for a second. They post this under Head Tracking in the manual.

An Attempt to shoot Video off of an Eye Monitor in The Goggles

Since the goggles are the single most expensive item in this kit I wanted to try and shoot a video off of one of the eye monitors to give a direct idea of how they work. The other videos in this review showing the view from the FPV Nano QX use recordings that could have come from the Fat Shark goggles video out connection or from a separate ground monitor. None of them try and directly show a video from an eye monitor in the goggles. The reason for that is that the goggles eye monitor is designed for the eye with all outside light blocked off. It is not a monitor designed to have video shot off of it. But I didn't let that stop me from trying.

I shot video indoors in good lighting and one with the camera in light and the goggles in darkness. I shot video outdoors of which the one shot on a dark foggy day turned out the best. The video below is not AT ALL representative of the quality of image that is seen by the eye in the goggles. The videos by Horizon Hobby and RC Group members (below) actually look like what the eye sees in the goggles. The lighting available for the subject plays a major roll in how good the image subject matter looks in the goggles. This is true with all video and photography. But for this video dark worked better as there was less reflection. So on a dark and dreary day I shot a video off of the right eye monitor from my Fat Shark goggles. To make matters more difficult the head strap flipped in front of my video camera due to a breeze and I cut the video short in the editing process to remove that. Below is my video non masterpiece named: "Eye Goggle Monitor Video Take 6."

Fat Shark FPV Goggles Eye Monitor - RCGroups (0 min 51 sec)

The Camera

The camera is mounted in the Nano QX along with its transmitter. There is a lens cover over the lens and that needs to be taken off for the camera to work. I put it back on when my flying session is over. The camera lens rotates. My camera came in focus but if it hadn't been I would have rotated the lens until the picture came into focus. That is all I needed to know to operate the Nano's camera. Focus is determined by viewing using the Fat Shark Goggles and turning the lens on the camera on the Nano QX as needed.

Goggle Controls and Audio/Video In and Out Port

On top of the goggles there are several controls that allow for channel select, volume control and the Display Button that allows one to adjust the brightness of the images in the goggles. With no sound on the FPV Nano QX system I didn't try the volumne adjustments. The images were fine as the goggles arrived but I did use the Display Button and after making the image worse I got it back were it was if not even a little bit better. The button works and does adjust the display. The channel select allows one to select different channels (one at a time) in the 5.8 GHz range to view what others at your field are seeing with their FPV systems. It allows for change if the selected frequency is having a problem. I have been able to view images from an Estes quad-copter FPV system as well as someone's hand built system that is unnamed. If someone is transmitting video in the 5.8 range near you it is possible (not guaranteed) you can get their signal and see what they are seeing. There are four bands used for FPV: A,B, E, and F. This system uses the F band the same as all FatShark and Immersion RC equipment. It will not pick up E band transmissions and they are illegal to use in North America anyway. You may be able to pick up some of the A and B band transmissions but it is unlikely they will be a stable video signal. Just to make things more confusing some systems on the F band use a different system from FatShark and Immersion and these other vendor systems may not be received or clearly received on your system. The important news is that in multiple tests I was always able to receive the transmitted video signal from my Nano on my FatShark goggles. I did not test or review this system in a crowded FPV environment. The most systems that were on at one time during my review were three and the other two were not FatShark.

I have been told that in reality because of signal overlap that although there are 24 channels available we are doing pretty well if you can have five transmissions going on at the same time on 5.8 GHz. The Instruction Manual on page 15 lists seven FPV transmitter channels for the Spektrum Ultra Micro.

The Audio/Video Out port is an option that requires additional accessories to use. First it requires a cable of which several are available. They discuss a cable with RCA connectors that allow the goggles to be connected to a television or some computers. So to take advantage of this port I will first need to buy a cable and I need to have something to plug the cable into like a television, a computer or a video recorder. I will be doing that after this review. I do know that there are cables available from Horizon Hobby for the goggles. I just need to learn which one I want to get.

Getting the Goggles Ready to Use.

To get my goggles ready to use for the first flight I used the included charger for the 2S battery and charged the battery up. Four wall socket connectors are included with the charger for international use. I selected the plug that matches the sockets here in the US. The battery fully charged is good for several hours of use and gives a beeping warning when it gets low. I haven't experienced that in this review but I will land immediately if I ever do get the low voltage warning beep. The battery fits in a little pocket on the side of the head strap and it plugs into the battery port on the right side of the goggles.

The third component to get the goggles ready is the antenna that screws into the goggles on the left side. It is CRITICAL that the dome of the antenna be at the top of the goggles to get maximum range. No glue or Locktight is needed, NOR should it be used, as the antenna can be screwed into the proper position by hand.

If you still have any questions about the goggles you are in luck as Horizon Hobby has a video just about them and I have posted it below.

HorizonHobby.com Product Overview - Teleporter V4 FPV Headset with Head Tracking (6 min 5 sec)

COUNT DRACULA WARNING! This is not a joke, just a hopefully catchy title for a real warning!

Do not let the sun shine on the LEDs inside the goggles as the bright light will burn them out! This is not a made up warning! The magnifiers in front of the LED lenses will intensify the light and destroy your goggles just like Count Dracula is supposedly destroyed by the rays of the sun. So put the goggles back in their protective case or other dark place when they are not in use. Sunshine will not hurt the outside of the goggles in normal use.

FPV Nano QX Assembly

No Assembly of the FPV Nano QX is required as it comes ready to fly. Just charge and install the flight battery for the FPV Nano QX.

Completion

The 1S Lipo for the FPV Nano QX has to be charged using the included USB Charger. The other set up requirements are covered above or below.

The Transmitter MLP4DSM

The four AA Alkaline included batteries for the transmitter have to be installed in the transmitter.

The transmitter that comes with the FPV Nano QX is a good little transmitter but the first three letters, MLP stand for: Micro Low Power! This transmitter in intended for use only with micro air craft such as the FPV Nano QX that will be flown close to the pilot. This is not to be used with a park flyer or larger multi-rotor as they can easily fly outside of this transmitters range as they are larger aircraft that can be comfortably seen at greater distances. Additionally, when flying FPV it can be very tempting to just keep flying and possibly loose tract of how far out you have flown the FPV Nano QX. During this review I flew at a local park and had no range problems at 50 yards away and 50 feet up in the air on a very calm morning. The Nano QX was mighty small to my friend's eye but vision was still good on the goggles.

For this review I did a longer range test and flew at a football field while standing at the end line and flew out to the other end line and I still had complete control but I wouldn't push it past that. For a football field I would at most fly from goal line to goal line. Just remember MLP stands for Micro Low Power and don't out fly your control range.

Flying

In my opening I discussed how the FPV Nano has both SAFE Technology and AS3X Technology. Both of these have been available for some time now but if you are new to the hobby you may not have heard of them. These features are well explained in videos made by Horizon Hobby and so for those of you new to these features I have posted these videos here to briefly explain these features. For those familiar with them please jump forward to the Flying Basics section.

Please note that there is no flip of the switch SAFE save (a feature mentioned in the video) for the FPV Nano QX RTF but that otherwise the video is subject appropriate.

SAFE™ Technology (1 min 35 sec)

SAFE supplies two Flight Modes for the FPV Nano QX. These modes are Stability Mode and Agility Mode. When you turn on the included transmitter it is in Stability Mode. To switch to Agility Mode just push down (push not slide) the left stick and it will click. To switch back just push down again on the left transmitter stick. When turned on it always comes on in Stability Mode no matter what mode it was in when it was turned off.

Stability Mode is Colored Blue

In Stability Mode the FPV Nano QX will limit the amount of pitch or roll that can be obtained when moving the right stick even with full stick input. The FPV Nano QX will return to a hover if you let go of the left and blue sticks or let them get to their neutral position. This flight mode is recommended for Beginners and those wanting more relaxed flying. It also helps make the FPV Nano a more stable camera platform.

Agility Mode is Colored Red

In Agility Mode the pitch and roll restrictions from Stability Mode are removed. This allows for faster flight and more aerobatics. Additionally centering the sticks no longer induces a hover. Instead, the FPV Nano QX just keeps heading in the last direction it was commanded to go. Agility Mode is preferred by experienced pilots who want to fly fast or perform aerobatics.

Dual Rates

While not part of SAFE now is a good time to discuss the Dual Rates. High rates allow for more aerobatic flying as the controls can reach their maximum values. In Low rates the transmitter limits the maximum movement just as it does in Stability Mode. The most active flying can be done in Agility Mode High Rates. The most controlled flying is done in Stability Mode Low Rates.

When the transmitter is turned on it comes on with High Rates. To switch to Low Rates push down on the right stick. To get back to High Rates push the right stick down once again. The transmitter always turns on with High Rates on no matter what rate was being used when the transmitter was turned off.

To learn about AS3X Technology watch the video below.

If you are already familiar with AS3X technology skip to the next section.

AS3X technology - Control the Air (10 min 10 sec)

Basics

They have a start up procedure that they felt should be followed and was important enough for them to print up a card with the information. I have followed it through out this review and here it is for you to read. (The card was originally for a helicopter. I have left the quote as printed and inserted "FPV Nano QX" where I felt it was appropriate.)

"Prior to each flight, you should ensure that you power on your transmitter and wait about 5 SECONDS before you plug in the flight battery to the receiver. Doing this allows time for the transmitter to scan and secure two open frequencies. If the flight battery is plugged in too quickly and the link is missed, it may cause the receiver to inadvertently enter bind mode. If this occurs simply leave the transmitter on and then disconnect and reconnect the flight battery. Once the flight battery is plugged in, put the helicopter "FPV Nano QX" (reviewer's insert) on a horizontal surface as soon as you can (within two seconds) for gyro calibration. Do not move/sway the helicopter "FPV Nano QX" during the calibration process. Failure to do this will cause unstable flight performance."

The FPV Nano is controlled like other quad-copters in mode 2 with the throttle and rudder on the left stick and the right stick controlling forward/backward and side to side flight. As discussed above SAFE technology allows for two flight modes and for basic flight I recommend Stability Mode. This mode limits pitch and roll and makes the FPV Nano QX a more stable and controllable machine. Also as discussed above the AS3X corrects for wind and other such none intended departures from the controlled flight signals a pilot inputs. The key to controlled flight is small movements which can be made larger as the pilot gets their head into the FPV Nano and becomes comfortable flying her. The FPV Nano supplies good responsive control and hovers are pretty stable by just going hands off in Stability Mode.

Taking Off and Landing

Smoothly power up and she lifts off. Climb up a few feet and she holds a pretty good hover. For landings I get her into a hover over where I want to land and slowly reduce power until she touches down and then I kill the power. She handles takes off and landings very well. If on a smooth surface such as a wood floor indoors takeoffs can also be made by advancing the throttle with a little throttle and forward right stick input and then more throttle while she is sliding forward and takeoff. This is a pretty easy move to perform with a little flying experience.

Aerobatics/Special Flight Performance

Agility Mode in High Rate is recommended for aerobatics but I consider the FPV broadcasting rather than aerobatics to really be its special performance. I have other less expensive quad-copters for performing flips with so I plan to use the FPV Nano QX simply for FPV flying. Still flying at high speed using the goggles can lead to crashes. Fortunately, the FPV Nano QX has proven rugged thus far.

Is This For a Beginner?

YES! With SAFE Technology and AS3X the FPV Nano QX makes an excellent quad-copter for a Beginner. Keep the FPV Nano QX in Stability Mode but use the right stick to switch to Low rates after turning on the transmitter. I recommend that the total beginner do the first flight with the FPV Nano QX facing away from them and with direct visual observation to see where the aircraft is actually going on their commands. It helps in learning the importance of small stick movements to avoid hitting the ceiling or racing into the wall. With that lesson learned the first flight using the goggles should be easier understanding orientation control. Additionally, the Beginner should give themselves as much room as possible in all directions and flying sitting down on a chair.

This Reviewer's True Flight Experience During the Course of this Review.

My first flight of the FPV Nano QX was without the goggles. I flew it under normal visual observation and it performed flawlessly. I specifically made nice slow pirouettes in both directions in expectation of doing that with the goggles on as well as checking on steady hover and flight in all horizontal directions. I was very happy with her handling and my piloting of her. She was performing perfectly.

This was not my first FPV flying. I have flown planes and quad-copters using a smart phone as a monitor as well as a monitor in the transmitter. With those I switched between direct visual observation of the aircraft to flying using the FPV as my eyes from the aircraft. I have even bought a Vapor FPV and flown it outside without any problem using the Fat Shark immersive goggles. With that background I expected to be able to fly the FPV Nano QX with the goggles without much difficulty. Boy was I wrong!

Now before I continue I want to confirm that all of the equipment was working perfectly. I simply went from an experienced quad-copter pilot to a bumbling idiot with no throttle control. I was flying from floor to almost hitting the ceiling over and over. I could feel my left thumb over controlling and while I was able to reduce the movement I had no where near the control I should have had or expect in my normal flying. Fortunately, I was slowly improving but I went through the battery flying like a complete newbie.

I reflected on the experience and I realized I felt extra pressure from flying indoors while not being able to see except what I saw in the goggles from the Nano's camera. I intentionally made my next flight outside in calm conditions. I was wearing the goggles and could only see what the camera showed me. This time however I had very little problem controlling the left stick and had no trouble steering around the open park with the right stick. I felt much more relaxed and in control of the situation.

During this review I became more and more comfortable flying indoors. Just like a beginner I learned to control the hover with the left stick and then doing pirouettes in place before moving on to slow flights around the room and finally faster flights around large rooms. It was a comfort learning curve rather than how to fly learning curve. In talking with others I have learned some had initial problems similar but less severe than mine while others were able to fly FPV as if they had done it all their life. I share this so if you experience some adjustment problems to flying FPV you now know you aren't alone. Just proceed as if you were a new pilot and take it step by step. I have gotten pretty good during this review but I still have hesitation around furniture but I am improving and enjoying the experience more and more.

Flight Video/Photo Gallery

The FPV Nano Qx as Sold Doesn't Record Video, it Transmits a Video Signal and the Goggles Receive It

As discussed above the videos showing the view from the FPV Nano QX in this review from Horizon Hobby and RC Group Members, optional items were required to record the videos. The Fat Shark goggles have a video out connection and that may have been used with a recorder or a separate ground station may have been used to record the video broadcast from the FPV Nano and it's camera and transmitter in these videos. Those videos are pretty good representations of what is actually seen in the goggles themselves. To be clear! There is No ability to record a video directly in the FPV Nano QX nor in the Fat Shark goggles included with the kit without an additional item or items that need to be purchased separately.

The video below shows my FPV Nano QX being flown and video taped indoors. It does not show a video made from a Nano QX broadcast.

FPV Nano Immersive Flying (1 min 18 sec)

RC Group Member videos

This first one is by William Bush, AKA RC Group member resistgravity, and it blew me away as he flies all around his house and it was only his second flight with his FPV Nano QX. Someday I want to grow younger and fly like that. Enjoy his flying.

NanoQX FPV DVR Footage (2 min 33 sec)

This next video is also by William/resistgravity and he does a great job on his obstacle course. I might be able to fly over his obstacle course but even then resistgravity would probably still get a better time, OK a much better time than me.

Nano QX Obstacle Course (2 min 27 sec)

This next video is by Tony, AKA RC Group's member tp8888 and shows him flying around his house with his FPV Nano. He is doing a great job and like resistgravity above shows some of what is possible with the FPV Nano.

FPV Nano QX Flying Around The House (3 min 39 sec)

This final member video is also by Tony/tp8888 and I think it is a great video as it shows how tough the FPV Nano QX is and how it takes practice to complete an obstacle course. He certainly flies FPV much better than I can.

Blade FPV Nano QX The U Turn (1 min 48 sec)

Conclusion

I thought a nice way to start my conclusion was to post the FPV Nano QX System OVERVIEW from Horizon Hobby and then go through those claims. I have quoted the overview below.

"The tiny Blade® FPV Nano QX quad-copter is a totally immersive RC experience you can take everywhere. Incredibly light and surprisingly durable, the FPV Nano QX can be flown in spaces no bigger than an office cubicle. Its potent motors are smooth and Spektrum™ 2.4GHz DSMX® radio technology delivers outstanding 4-channel maneuverability. But it’s the exclusive SAFE® technology built-in that offers a quad-copter experience like no other. That’s because the specially tuned SAFE system makes sophisticated flight envelope protection possible so flying is incredibly easy and more fun-even if it’s your first time. Plus, the Spektrum™ ultra micro FPV camera is already installed which means you can get started in the short time it takes to charge the batteries."

My testing of this product found this claim to be completely truthful. It is an immersive RC Experience. It can be taken everywhere. (Although it can be taken everywhere it cannot be flown in high winds.) It is light and has proven durable in my flight testing. I have flown it in office cubicles. The motors run smoothly and carry the weight of the aircraft and camera very well. Safe Technology gives two flight modes to allow for stable flights or more wildly aerobatic flights at the pilots choice. It can be flown by a Beginner to an Expert. It was ready to fly as soon as the batteries were charged and installed and the antenna screwed into the Fat Shark goggles.

I have carefully documented my personal initial problems flying indoors with the immersive system and how I have gotten past that. From talking to others at an AMA event some have shared my problem and some had no problems at all. However, unless you are truly claustrophobic, the period to get comfortable with the goggles may only be a few flights in large open rooms as it was for me. I am getting better on small rooms and navigating through furniture. I have found it very much worth the effort as it is a lot of fun.

The system worked right out of the box! I had no problem with the Nano QX or the FPV system. Both have been easy to work with and the only problems were me getting used to immersive flying as described above. I have some suggestions for others that might have some initial adjustment problems.

Tip for air sickness or initial problems with the immersive system.

Some reported dizziness when first using the goggles. The recommendation is to fly sitting down with your head resting on your chest. After a few flights to adjust to the system you should be able to transition to standing up but some prefer to remain sitting while flying.

I give the FPV Nano QX two throttles up! It is a great mating of an excellent ultra micro quad-copter, micro camera/transmitter and some excellent Fat Shark head tracking goggles. Although the head tracking is not used with the FPV Nano I have ordered a camera with pan and a separate transmitter as well as the cable to connect head tracking from the goggles to my DX 9 transmitter. I will soon have FPV ability in one of my larger planes and the extra equipment wasn't too expensive and the purchase of the equipment was made with ease and confidence from Horizon Hobby. I have friends who are still trying to get their separate components from separate suppliers to work properly and are very frustrated. I can happily say that the FPV Nano QX system works as advertised right out of the box. No frustration and optional equipment from Horizon Hobby that I know will make my next project a success. Spare parts are available and if something doesn't work right I can call Horizon and deal with their excellent support team and not have to e-mail a company in China and hope to work things out. This is definitely worth two throttles up!

Bonus Video

Once you master flying the FPV Nano QX you may be up for another challenge and that is FPV racing. I believe the best races are with equally matched equipment but it is fun to see the guy with the high powered faster machine loose to slower equipment that is better flown. Horizon Hobby has prepared a video of a race between "The Steve" and the "Red Giant." Both are flying the FPV Nano QX. One last video for this review.

FPV Nano QX - Racing Challenge (2 min 27 sec)

Pluses & Minuses

Pluses

• Has everything needed to fly FPV with the Nano.
  • The Nano is an excellent flying quad-copter and it remains so with the camera and transmitter.
  • Now that I have the goggles, I can add FPV to other aircraft for just the cost of the camera and transmitter.
  • It really can be flown by a Beginner but is fun for almost everyone.
  • The FPV Nano QX stores and transports in the original box very nicely.

Minuses

• Doesn't record video as sold!
  • WARNING: This is highly addictive and has already lead to additional battery and camera/transmitter purchases.

Thanks

I want to thank Horizon Hobby and Blade for supplying the FPV Nano QX to RC Groups for review. I want to thank Dick Andersen for his assistance in my getting in air media for this review. I want to thank Doug Hallum for flying the nano while I was shooting video from the goggle eye monitor. Finally, I want to thank our editor.

Last edited by Michael Heer; Mar 04, 2015 at 11:24 AM..
Mar 06, 2015, 03:00 PM
Thread OP
Saved for possible future use. Mike Heer
Mar 07, 2015, 01:41 AM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
subscribed!
Latest blog entry: Random Pictures ...
Mar 07, 2015, 09:48 AM
www.gunnphotoservices.com
Nice work. I know you've been FPVing for a few, but I'd like to officially welcome you to the dark side...
Latest blog entry: www.gunnphotoservices.com
Mar 16, 2015, 08:21 AM
Multirotor Promotor
subscribed
Sep 06, 2015, 12:11 PM

Can I use my Spektrum DX8/9 and my Fat Shark Dominator V2 on the BNF version?

Hello Michael/ forum, my name is Erik - Norway.

I am doing some research on the Nano QX FPV BNF version and I am new to the FPV world. So as the title says, I am wondering if I can use either my Spektrum DX8 or DX9, and my Fat Shark Dominator V2 on the BNF version of the Nano QX FPV? Reason is that one of the videos from HH (Horizon Hobby) they state that they had a co-op with FS (FatShark) on the goggles on the RTF version, and I am purchasing the BNF version as I already have the Goggles and the TX:

Spektrum DX8 and Spektrum DX9
Fat Shark Dominator V2

I don't want to spend $270 extra on the RTF version when I already have the TX and the goggles.

In the video below that you posted in your excellent review, HH representative say the co-op with FS and HH say it is compatible with the DX9, with their version of the Fat Shark goggles in the RTF kit. But what about me that have both the DX9 and the Fat Shark Dominator V2 and want to purchase the BNF kit? Will it be fully compatible when I purchase this kit?

Video where he mention this:
https://youtu.be/OW2F4laVXeo?t=51

Full video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=74&v=OW2F4laVXeo

Appreciate any answer that put me on the right lane here, I think I will be OK though. Just want to make sure so I don't end up needing something extra, that I can order at the same time as the Nano.

Thank you all, Erik.
Sep 09, 2015, 11:56 AM
Thread OP
1) Your Spektrum transmitters should easily control the Nano QX BNF. it is designed to work with the Spektrum 2.4 GHz system.
2) Both Fat Shark systems work on 5.8 GHz. I have viewed other cameras with transmitters broadcasting in Fat Sharks frequencies and they work fine together. Although I have not tested your specific goggles I don't see why they wouldn't work together as long as you are still using antennas designed for use with the Fat Shark system. I also think you will be OK.
Sep 09, 2015, 02:31 PM
Suspended Account
Fatshark Dominator V2 Unbeatable price US$299.99 in banggood's 9th anniversary sales now

Quick Reply