New Products Flash Sale
Thread Tools
Old May 17, 2004, 02:25 PM
nolasco is offline
Find More Posts by nolasco
Registered User
nolasco's Avatar

Solite vs. Nelson LiteFilm


What is the difference between Solite and Nelson LiteFilm? Are they actually the same product? One vendor seems to say so. If not, which one is better?


Jun Nolasco
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old May 17, 2004, 02:27 PM
hoppy is offline
Find More Posts by hoppy
Space Coast USA
hoppy's Avatar
Go to Google and search for nelson solite
Old May 17, 2004, 02:35 PM
pda4you is offline
Find More Posts by pda4you
Registered User
pda4you's Avatar
Yep it is the same stuff.

Mike
Old May 17, 2004, 02:46 PM
nolasco is offline
Find More Posts by nolasco
Registered User
nolasco's Avatar
Hmm. So they are the same. Thanks.

I guess the source of my confusion is that I know someone who sells both and has LiteFilm at 27.5x78 and Solite at 27.5x50.

Thanks again.


Jun Nolasco
Old May 19, 2004, 08:14 PM
BEC is offline
BEC
Find More Posts by BEC
BEC
Registered User
BEC's Avatar
The only difference is the instruction sheet (the one Nelson puts in - or has put in - is a little more detailed).
Old May 19, 2004, 08:45 PM
RonD is offline
Find More Posts by RonD
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolasco
Hmm. So they are the same. Thanks.

I guess the source of my confusion is that I know someone who sells both and has LiteFilm at 27.5x78 and Solite at 27.5x50.

Thanks again.


Jun Nolasco
Radical RC has both, I could have this backward but the LiteFilm is in larger rolls at a higher price and the Solite is in smaller "flats" at a lower cost. I don't know which is cheaper per sq/ft. They plan to only carry the rolls in the future. If you order a roll of Litefilm your might get either Litefilm or Solite rolls depending on what he has in stock.
Old May 21, 2004, 03:22 AM
babblefish is offline
Find More Posts by babblefish
Yes, that is Jamie
babblefish's Avatar
Just to add a bit more confusion - or choices - Coverite Microlite, sold by Tower Hobbies/Great Planes is also another version of Solite/Litefilm. It is made in England, weighs 0.6oz per sq/yd, comes in all the same colors and may be more readily available for some.
Old May 21, 2004, 05:28 AM
pda4you is offline
Find More Posts by pda4you
Registered User
pda4you's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by babblefish
Just to add a bit more confusion - or choices - Coverite Microlite, sold by Tower Hobbies/Great Planes is also another version of Solite/Litefilm. It is made in England, weighs 0.6oz per sq/yd, comes in all the same colors and may be more readily available for some.
Didn't know that - great option....

Mike
Old May 21, 2004, 08:16 AM
Tim Wolff is online now
Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
Tim Wolff's Avatar
If they would make it in orange, they could call it anything they want
Old May 21, 2004, 09:54 AM
Aobid is offline
Find More Posts by Aobid
Enjoying the good life!
Aobid's Avatar
I've always thought they were the same product.
Old May 21, 2004, 09:05 PM
Dereck is offline
Find More Posts by Dereck
Visitor from Reality
Not only, but also.

Solarfilm's orginal film - funnily enough called "Solarfilm" has been wandering around the US for years. It's somewhat lighter in feel than Moneykote, and is carried by a couple of MO shops. Balsa USA sell what might be Solarfilm under another name, for one.

Funny thing is, every Solarfilm Sales 'product' comes in vastly different colour ranges. I've often wondered why they don't have a uniform colour range, but that's their marketting weenies for you. Maybe not so critical in an era where thousands of modellers are quite happy to have identical models, but "Solarfilm" comes in some unique colours. Okay, my pink and purple colour schemes are pretty unique. They were originally done in Solarfilm colours before I moved 'over here'.

Now, if they could stick see-through and do some really nice off-beat solids???

Regards

Dereck
Old May 23, 2004, 02:35 AM
BEC is offline
BEC
Find More Posts by BEC
BEC
Registered User
BEC's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by babblefish
Just to add a bit more confusion - or choices - Coverite Microlite, sold by Tower Hobbies/Great Planes is also another version of Solite/Litefilm. It is made in England, weighs 0.6oz per sq/yd, comes in all the same colors and may be more readily available for some.
No, it's not. Coverlite is like LiteSpan. You have to paint adhesive onto the structure separately (as with Micafilm). See the last bullet point here: http://www.coverite.com/covering/covq1800.html

Note that they quote the weight at 0.89 ounces per square yard - half again as heavy as SoLite. This, of course, doesn't count the Balsarite (or StixIt or BalsaLoc) needed.

If Coverlite handles like LiteSpan it is MUCH fussier to put on (shrinks little).

None of this means that it isn't a perfectly good covering - but anyone buying some thinking that have a SoLite/LiteFilm equivalent will be disappointed.
Last edited by BEC; May 23, 2004 at 02:37 AM.
Old May 23, 2004, 06:26 AM
babblefish is offline
Find More Posts by babblefish
Yes, that is Jamie
babblefish's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
No, it's not. Coverlite is like LiteSpan. You have to paint adhesive onto the structure separately (as with Micafilm). See the last bullet point here: http://www.coverite.com/covering/covq1800.html

Note that they quote the weight at 0.89 ounces per square yard - half again as heavy as SoLite. This, of course, doesn't count the Balsarite (or StixIt or BalsaLoc) needed.

If Coverlite handles like LiteSpan it is MUCH fussier to put on (shrinks little).

None of this means that it isn't a perfectly good covering - but anyone buying some thinking that have a SoLite/LiteFilm equivalent will be disappointed.
Please note that I said Microlite, not Coverlite. Microlite IS the same as Solite, I stock it in my retail store. It DOES have an adhesive on one side and Tower Hobbies lists the weight as 0.6oz per sq/yd., NOT 0.89oz.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGDV2&P=7
Last edited by babblefish; May 23, 2004 at 06:42 AM.
Old May 23, 2004, 08:30 AM
pda4you is offline
Find More Posts by pda4you
Registered User
pda4you's Avatar
Yep here is the quote from the tower site.

Quote:
FEATURES: Perfect for all park flyers, indoor models and light fly aircraft
Quote:
Ultra light weight, only 0.6oz (17g) per square yard
Quote:
Adhesive pre-applied to back

Sure looks like it to me! Great to have another source.

Mike


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Matching paint to SoLite / Nelson Litefilm SchiessCo Electric Plane Talk 0 Mar 03, 2003 08:07 PM
Good source for Solite or Nelson Litefilm? Sal C Parkflyers 5 Dec 07, 2002 03:06 PM
Nelson Litefilm (SoLITE) ICQ Parkflyers 10 Oct 16, 2002 08:52 AM
Nelson LiteFilm (SoLITE) ICQ Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models 6 Jun 07, 2002 03:38 PM
Problems with Nelson LiteFILM (AKA SOLITE) Dandi6065 Power Systems 13 Mar 23, 2002 11:46 AM