Jan 02, 2015, 05:17 PM
Play that funky music right
Thread OP
Discussion

Bucker Jungmann (Supermann) by Carl Goldberg

A sad story to start out with...

A club member is terminally ill. He decided to sell off all his collection of airplanes, equipment and parts. I wound up with his Goldberg Bucker Jungmann and a "bunch" of spare parts, control horns, electrical, nuts & bolts etc. He said if he didn't sell it or give it away it would wind up in the land fill. He didn't want that to happen.

I've decided that everything else will wait while I try to get this plane done as quickly as possible. Of course at the speed I build it may take a while

It came with Fiberglass Specialties cowl and front turtledeck/canopy. I don't have the original plastic cowl but do have the clear front turtledeck. You can see from the photos I've removed the glass portion of the FG deck and will cut and insert the clear glass in it's place. This brings me to my first issue. I thought I would follow Roberts lead and screw the deck (sheet metal) to the fuse as to facilitate future repair and or maintence of the cabain attachment points. The cowl will cover the forward 4 or 5 inches so I would need to use a flat head screw for that part. No issue there. My problem is how do I make the deck removable and still keep it "sealed" up to prevent intrusion of oil where not wanted? Of course all the wood will be sealed but it's better to keep it out if you can.

Ken
Last edited by kenh3497; Jan 02, 2015 at 05:24 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 02, 2015, 05:20 PM
Thread OP
I found this thread on Flying Giants. The owner of the Full scale Jungmann jumps in at post #9.

http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=25031

Ken

See... I told ya my A.D.D was going to kick in!
Jan 02, 2015, 05:54 PM
What a great idea to finish the CG Jungmann, Ken. If I lived closer I'd drop on over and give you a hand in getting it finished. As for the "oil intrusion" I would opt for installing the deck as tight and true as possible, seal the wood and parts, and be sure to clean the outside and inside mating areas after each flying session. Silicon can be used between the parts as a "seal" for extra protection, similar to using Silicon as a wing/fuselage seal. I'm sure there are other ways to do this but this is my contribution to the thought process. Good luck with this project, my friend!

Soft landings,

Joe
Jan 03, 2015, 03:58 PM
Thread OP
DUH... Silicone, who wuda thunk The silicone will seal and attach/glue the turtle deck yet allow for removal if the need arises. Thanks Joe, for a simple solution! If you ever get to the neighborhood Joe, you are welcome to drop in anytime!

Onward with the turtle deck and canopy work. I cut some 1/8 lite ply stiffeners to glue into the canopy to maintain it's shape while open and closed. The instrument panel is 1/8 balsa which is glued to the turtle deck. I wanted the rigidity the panel provides so everything stays aligned. The rear of the canopy gets cut completely loose while the front gets a stiffener glued in just behind the cut to maintain the shape somewhat like the full scale example. All these parts will be attached to the canopy before the movable part is cut free. If all goes to plan, the two parts should match up perfectly. I felt the need to do this, as over the years the glass turtle deck/canopy took on a bit of a "doesn't fit so well" shape. The bottom is just splayed out a bit. I'm guessing after the first day in the sun on a hot day it will settle into a natural fit from the heat. For now it needs some help

I will be using Joe's trick of painting some Titebond to all the joints of the rudder and elevators just for good measure. Not all the joints are a perfect fit and like Joe says, "it cant hurt". Then they will get sanded and prepared for hinges. The gluing will have to wait as the last guy that used the glue brush didn't put it back in the water cup so the bristles got a bit stiff. It's soaking now and looks like it can be saved. I wish I could get my hands on that idiot

Ken
Jan 03, 2015, 07:39 PM
Thread OP
I had to put the wings on to figure out how long the "N" struts are on this old girl. SO... I thought I'd throw the cowl on and see what it looks like. This is the first time both wings have been on at the same time. The Bucker doesn't have N struts per say, as the middle brace is not present. Instead it has cables Xed between the struts. I'm not doing that.

I'll be using 1/2 inch aluminum streamlined tubing if I can find some. I'll need to call my LHS to see they have it in stock.. That means a 120 mile trip one way I need some other stuff so maybe the wife will want to go shopping

A slight surprise I found by mounting the wings. Both left hand panels have 3+ degrees of washout. There is supposed to be none. I'm sure it was a storage issue. The panels twist easily enough but I want them "right" as my plans for the struts depend on everything being square to the world when it all gets fastened down for the last time. I plan on a stub (haven't decided on material yet) to be glued and screwed to the ply rib in the wing. This stub will extend about 1/2 inch above the wing surface and the strut will slide over the stub to be screwed in place. It should look much better than 2-56 pushrods with clevises! And be more functional.

I did have to stop and add one VERY important tool to the shop. I've missed having some music in the background. Not that I ever REALLY listen it. I set up our AV receiver and speakers. It doesn't fit our new layout with no place to put the speakers or receiver. No use letting them go to rot.

Ken
Jan 04, 2015, 03:10 PM
Thread OP

New shop mate!

Look who joined me in the model shop! She is such a chicken scaredie dog. I think she was scared of the steps. It's funny the steps to our second floor is taken at a dead run, up and down We've lived here for 6 years and this is the first time she has made a choice on her own to visit me. I hope to see more of her as the days progress. I'll need a "resting place" though if I want to keep her there.

Ken
Jan 05, 2015, 08:01 PM
Thread OP
A little more progress with the canopy. The opening for the clear glass is done and fitted. I then proceeded with the fiddly job of cutting the hatch out. I stared with my pull saw put switched to my Zona saw for cutting the sides. The Zona worked better on the sides.

I'm currently adding 1/32 ply to the sides in prep of adding a latching mechinisim and hinges. I thought I had some pinned hinges around but they have long disapeared. I either need to mail order some, or make a hinge. I'm up in the air about this one.

In retrospect I wish I had made the frame below the clear glass a bit wider. It's going to be a bit tight adding hinges and latch but will be OK.

Ken
Jan 07, 2015, 01:10 PM
Thread OP
I'm at the point I need to make a decision on what to use to hinge the canopy with. My first thoght was pinned hinges but I can't find or don't have any. My choice of local stores is limited. Maybe Hobby Lobby will have something in their doll house making supplies?????

Ken
Jan 12, 2015, 10:29 PM
Thread OP
No joy so far on hinging the canopy. I made some hinges (like a hinge on the trunk of your car) but the compound curves of the canopy where the hinges will attach won't let the hinges work like they are supposed to. One of my club mates has some pinned hinges. I'll get them from him later this week and have another go. In the mean time, I'll fit the ailerons and dewarp the wings.

The other issue is the "N" struts. I'm not buying four three foot chunks of 1/2" streamlined tubing. I think some balsa over flat aluminum will be just fine.

Ken
Jan 13, 2015, 08:00 AM
ARFs Are Me
K&S tubing is cheap. Just reiniforce it on the inside, using the tubing as a facade.
Jan 13, 2015, 08:13 AM
Thread OP
The only way I can buy the 1/2 inch tubing is 4 pieces 30 something inches long. I need about 40 inches total. I doubt I'll ever use the leftover. About $20 for the bundle. I guess I must be Scottish or something to not be willing to lay out the cash only to have leftovers laying around.

Ken
Jan 13, 2015, 08:23 AM
...but the plane was free, Ken...

Soft landings,

Joe
Jan 13, 2015, 08:12 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperjoe
...but the plane was free, Ken...

Soft landings,

Joe
Yes I know, but the rest of the budget is still firmly in place I "need" an engine for the nose of this thing. The budget dictates what I buy. I'm hoping to power it with the same as the prototype but time will tell.
Jan 13, 2015, 09:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenh3497
Yes I know, but the rest of the budget is still firmly in place
Nothing wrong with that. Staying in budget is important.

Soft landings,

Joe
Jan 14, 2015, 09:42 PM
Thread OP
A little more progress. The wing panels have been de-warped and the clear glass has been tweaked and fitted to the new canopy opening. The glass had some scuffs in it from the years of being moved around, re-boxed and what not. I used the headlight polisher from work and buffed it up today. I only used some swirl remover and it was enough to make for a good enough presentation. Actually I was very happy with the outcome. I'm working on the canopy latch. It will be "scale like" in operation with a rod to the front and rear corners of the opening. An old square post servo horn will be cut down to provide motion to the lock rods and a shaft with a handle will poke through the canopy someplace to make it all move. And... a new fuel tank location in place since I plan on a YS engine. The old location is wrong even for a conventional engine as it is to low. I even found a use for a claw hammer on a RC plane

Ken

Quick Reply