FPV goggles or screen - RC Groups
Jan 02, 2015, 12:14 PM
emergencymonkey
Discussion

FPV goggles or screen

I am new to the idea of fpv but very excited about the idea. I purchase the AP combo blade 350 qx2 and it is yet to arrive but had me thinking. While it comes with fpv using my phone, and I know this is purely opinion, what is your preference for goggles vs a small to mid size screen?

I understand total immersion with goggles, but I feel some of the fun is watching your aircraft fly in the sky. How about being aware of your surroundings and having the goggles on? Just curious people's thoughts. Thank you so much!
Last edited by zoltarDO; Jan 02, 2015 at 01:27 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 02, 2015, 01:14 PM
fly by night
there are many opinion on this!

goggles:
pro:
-light, small, easy to pack and carry
- more immersive than small monitor
- guaranteed not to 'blue screen' with static
- real nice having built in receiver
- real nice having headtracking for fpv airplanes
con:
- very expensive
- less aware of the airspace in your vicinity. cannot see fullsize aircraft
- cannot see the landing area very well, so many folks switch to line of sight to land

Small LCD monitor
pro:
- very cheap. even $30 for a used one
- can more easily switch to line of sight in an instant, without time for eyes to adjust
- can scan landing area quickly prior to landing
- good for framing shots using a stable quadcopter doing videography
con:
- bulky, clunky, fragile.
- often a nest of wires to deal with
- hard on the eyes watching a tiny screen - well if you are over 40 years old, LOL.
- I hate HATE flying with a small LCD (I have a 9 inch) and never do it
- not immersive at all, makes it not useful for demanding FPV flying like scale, aerobatics, miniquad

Personally, I find the best possible FPV is with a LARGE LED Television. But that can be difficult depending on your flying site. I fly with goggles 90% of the time, but also with a 32" LEDTV sometimes. It is immersive and also a bit safer and than goggles. Really nice to share the experience with others, and switching pilots is simple, unlike with goggles. But even a 19" screen is good and can be found new for around $100 or so, just beware as many of them bluescreen on static
Jan 02, 2015, 01:36 PM
emergencymonkey
Thanks for taking the time to write your opinion it is greatly appreciated! I knew this would be a matter of preference and I probably won't be able to completely decide until I've bought and used both methods
Jan 02, 2015, 05:15 PM
I find that even when the tiniest crack of light slips into my goggles its annoying. Its something akin to someone opening the door in the back of the movie theatre. Monitor guys have it rough.
Jan 03, 2015, 02:51 AM
i'm using the below Fatsharks and love them!!
I've owned and used a 9inch lcd, fatshark base, headplays and now the dom v2's. The dom v2's are by far the best ive used so far, plus the cups around my eyes dont let the light in unlike other video glasses ive used.

The big difference between glasses and a screen imo is with glasses you really feel like your in the plane flying, Sure the screen's picture is alot sharper but you just dont get that "inside the plane" feel.

start with a screen but keep saving for a good set of video glasses along the way

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...X_480_VGA.html
Last edited by evo101; Jan 03, 2015 at 06:51 AM.
Jan 03, 2015, 06:30 AM
emergencymonkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by parajared
I find that even when the tiniest crack of light slips into my goggles its annoying. Its something akin to someone opening the door in the back of the movie theatre. Monitor guys have it rough.
Great analogy

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyda00
i'm using the below Fatsharks and love them!!
I've owned and used a 9inch lcd, fatshark base, headplays and now the dom v2's. The dom v2's are by far the best plus the cups around my eyes let no light in unlike other video glasses ive used.

The big difference between glasses and a screen imo is with glasses you really feel like your in the plane flying, Sure the screen's picture is alot sharper but you just dont get that "inside the plane" feel.

sure start with a screen but keep saving for a good set of video glasses along the way

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...X_480_VGA.html
Those are some awesome looking goggles!

I guess the next question would be the ability to record using these goggle setups. Is that a whole nother ball of wax? A separate camera or one that can do both like a gopro?
Jan 03, 2015, 06:55 AM
the dominator v2's and the dominator HD's have a video recorder built in its simple and easy

thats the other thing with FPV you can end up getting a ground station so complicated it takes 30 minutes to set up / pack up. instead of spending more time flying
Jan 03, 2015, 07:35 AM
Crash With A Crowd
go for both.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...19&aff=1119744

^^^ cheapest goggles and geat price for a static screen too!
Jan 03, 2015, 10:36 AM
emergencymonkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by soupaboy
go for both.

Hmmmm....not very fancy but who cares. Don't the fatshark goggles have an A/V output that can go to a screen too?
Jan 03, 2015, 01:37 PM
Crash With A Crowd
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoltarDO
Hmmmm....not very fancy but who cares. Don't the fatshark goggles have an A/V output that can go to a screen too?
yep so your friends can watch when you upgrade soon
Jan 03, 2015, 06:49 PM
looks like a good budget option, has any one tried this setup before?

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupaboy
go for both.

Jan 03, 2015, 07:06 PM
emergencymonkey
A little too much...for me that is
Jan 03, 2015, 08:36 PM
Just go on to fpv my self. I am using an old portable DVD player 9" screen as a starter. I have bad eyes and don't think goggles are glasses friendly. My local shop carries fat sharks and they are definitely not glasses friendly. I find with goggle, you are "committed" for sure. I am so inexperienced need that I need a spotter even when I am staring at the screen. I would like to get to the goggle stage in the future. But need to find a pair that is glasses friendly
Jan 03, 2015, 10:08 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
Most comfy FPV position you'll ever see
(bi-focal friendly too!!!!)