Jan 07, 2015, 10:38 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
Doesn't the gear look a bit short??

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
May 13, 2015, 07:49 AM
Nil Illegitimi Carborundum

Here's mine

Just got this from HK Australia. It really is a superbly thought-out and manufactured model. The build quality is excellent and fittings are of good quality. It saved me scratcbuilding one and the outlines compare favourably with the Wingnut 1/32 and Eduard 1/48 - both of which I have.

The shiny covering makes it look toylike but that is an easy fix with satin acrylic clear.
The supplied guns and engine are OK when detailed a bit and The engine bay looks better shadowed out with matte black..
It comes with a surprisingly good pilot figure .

I have added fuselage cheeks out of plasticard and shallow conical wheel covers out of red craft card .

I'm just back at work but when I return in a couple of weeks I will post a PDF of the cheeks that should print out to the correct size on A4. And a method of making them. Also a template for the wheel covers.

It gets a NTM 35 900kv , E-flite SAFE receiver , 40A E-flite ESC , and I'm looking at Turnigy wooden slow-fly props and thinking 11" rather than the suggested 12".

Metal-gear servos installed. The supplied instruction manual is truly excellent BTW , and is a rare departure from the usual poorly translated and nebulous instructions we are given to expect.

This is made by Super Flying Model in Taiwan and they have done a nice job of it.
And credit to Hobbyking for supplying a model of this quality at a great price!
May 17, 2015, 02:03 AM
Well, based on your recommendation, I just hit the buy button! I recon it would benefit from having the wing slightly altered with 1/64 ply added to the leading edge (which would need you to recover the wing!!! But that's easy!
Cheers,

Hugh
May 17, 2015, 08:04 AM
Hi Hugh,
You wont regret it. I'm pulling the trigger on another one to strip/re-clad with lozenge.
Might tweak a few things to make it more scale but even as a starting point it would be hard to build from scratch for less.
Concealed servos and altered strut attachments could be quite nice and the ply would certainly be a good idea.
I just have to experiment with a decent, printable covering for the lozenge when I get time off.
There's a Japanese tissue paper that sounds promising and I have had reasonable results with brown masking paper.
Wright Brothers do 1/8 scale MG08 Spandau kits - close enough to 1/7.4 - and they look good.

Dave.
May 17, 2015, 01:26 PM
And lengthening the landing gear struts which (at least to me) appear to be too short...if you are going to strip and recover..

SteveT.
May 19, 2015, 05:37 AM
For Aussies, HHQ have these ARFs much cheaper and a kit version for $119
May 19, 2015, 06:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT.
And lengthening the landing gear struts which (at least to me) appear to be too short...if you are going to strip and recover..

SteveT.

Indeed Steve! One of the things that will be worth looking at.
I have the Wingnut 1/32 kit and the Eduard 1/48 as fairly reliable references.
The Wingnut is worth the dough just for the nicely done instructions/detail booklet alone. The decal sheets are exquisite as well.

My second HK/SFM Fokker will be on it's way now.
May 19, 2015, 06:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMcC
For Aussies, HHQ have these ARFs much cheaper and a kit version for $119
I had a look at that site but they seemed to be a wholesaler only?
Can you order direct or simply get referred to a retailer?

$119 sounds great for a kit but I'm time-challenged and modding an ARF makes the extra $100 or so a good choice for me.

Found the retail link - HTdirect.com.au --- some great kits and planes there - quite like the SFM Pilatus.
Not bad prices on some stuff
Last edited by Threenaddies; May 19, 2015 at 05:10 PM.
May 19, 2015, 02:14 PM
The HTdirect.com does not work, unless you put .au on the end...so.. HTdirect.com.au...

SteveT.
May 20, 2015, 12:40 AM
Arrived today. Looks good.

One thing I will definitely be doing is what Steve suggested... Making the U/C legs more scale length and moving them back to where they should be (mounted in line with the Cabane Struts).

Cheers,

Hugh
May 20, 2015, 01:30 AM
Ok...so it wasn't just the picture!! I thought it looked a little strange. That like HK sells a Gee Bee that has horribly short landing gear which really makes the plane ugly..

SteveT.
May 20, 2015, 02:42 AM
Yeah, it's too short and way out of where it should be.

Should be easy enough to beef up where it needs to be though...

Cheers,

Hugh
May 20, 2015, 03:31 AM
Post some pics when you're done please. I'm going to post the cheek template when I'm back home 2nd June.