This thread is privately moderated by J Morgan, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 01, 2015, 04:22 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Build Log

F2A-3 Buffalo at 1:7.5 scale

Started this thing to be a simple park flyer but things got out of control. So we're doing a bit more detail on it.
Here's a link to the thread in Scale forum.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2298302

Finished the 57" ws Buffalo and then built a park flyer at 47" of the B-239, export version of the F2A-1. Smaller one weighs about 45 oz.

Built another little Buffalo like the original and then finished this thread up with a 1/5 MXY-7 Ohka build powered by a SPJ and weighing about 42 oz.

J
Last edited by J Morgan; Mar 04, 2015 at 03:40 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 03, 2015, 05:32 PM
Watt Waster

Buffalo

Always did like these fat fuselage planes. May not fit exactly within the cartoon park flyer theme, but they came close. I recently found out from a friend of yours you use the basic concept of build-over plug to make an aircraft fuselage. Started reading one of your threads and see you are into fiber glassing for a thin shell. I have generally found fiberglass and epoxy, or another bonding agent to be a tad heavy. I also found the shells tend to be a little flexible and more work has to be included to stiffen things up. Since I normally build smaller park flyer sized RC aircraft, I come to love using thin sheet foam over a frame or plug that can be cut once to make a seam so the foam shell can be removed from the build-over plug, or frame.

Have a few threads here and other places about the construction method, and a few video related to the process and details. I first make what I call rib rings that are a friction fit device for the plug/frame. The thin foam skin is glued to the rib rings. I generally space the rib rings 2, or 3 inches apart on center. I find a 1/2" rib ring to be plenty wide enough for the skin panels to share and glue to. If I fear the urethane glue isn't going to stiffen the foam enough, I use two rib rings since the lamination tends to be very stiff for the smaller park flyers. I don't use very much urethane glue since a very thin wetting of the foam makes a very strong bong and is plenty to get the job done. Well, enough rambling. There is more about the concept and construction method with plenty of details in my RC groups threads and Youtube.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=331545

xP-55 Ascender Project (3 min 51 sec)
Last edited by Tsavah; Feb 03, 2015 at 05:38 PM.
Feb 08, 2015, 06:52 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Interesting method T. I find that the FG fuses really aren't that heavy and a few foam bulkheads really stiffen them up. I've done them on as small as 40" ws models with good results. The increase is strength and better finish is what I'm looking for. But I'm sure you've had success with yours too.

J

Quick Reply