byron f15 major overhaul.. - RC Groups
Dec 31, 2014, 10:35 PM
its TALON TIME!
Build Log

byron f15 major overhaul..

i picked up this byron f15 from jim drew....going t9 do a number of upgrades and structure mods to bring thus up to par with todays power and weight...also...im going to do scale gear..either jet legend gear or century jet gear. jet fan 120s and 12s 8000s with full ducting and gea doors...some spar and former reinforcements are in order too. i already started by ripping out all of the gear and gear mounts...all the old wires and hoses...ect ect....after it flies a more accurate scheme will be applied. shooting to be in the high 30 pound range..this is a very nicely built model..even has sheeted wings whoever built this knew how to build a byron nicely stay tuned..

ps..i think theres enough inlet area lol
to remove ads between posts
Dec 31, 2014, 10:59 PM
Awesome project, what was wrong with the gear in it? I think that is the plane he brought to E-jets in 2009, nice flier
Dec 31, 2014, 11:22 PM
PSALM 14:1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris True
I think that is the plane he brought to E-jets in 2009, nice flier
Yes it is.

In fact, there was no shortage of F-15s there in '09.

After Jim mentioned the two F-15s just sitting around I figured C/Nut would end up with at least one of them

Can't wait to see what you cook up for it...
Jan 01, 2015, 12:04 AM
its TALON TIME!
chris..not much wrong with the stock gear...other than they are way off scale...and make it real hard to fit full ducting thanks sammy...hopefully it wont be a super long project
Jan 01, 2015, 12:06 AM
its TALON TIME!
problem solved..ill add some reinforcement around the hatch area to retain fuse strength. now ive got plenty of access for fans and batteries. oh and the inlets measure 5.4x4....so looots of inlet
Jan 01, 2015, 12:18 AM
its TALON TIME!
heres the gear id like to use...they are a smidge small for scale but they are close enough..plus im going to need any extra room i can get for the ducting. these gear look insanely good.

http://www.jetlegend.com/index.php?Page=95
Jan 01, 2015, 12:40 AM
Pro Hoarder
Cool....BIG
Jan 01, 2015, 12:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut
heres the gear id like to use...they are a smidge small for scale but they are close enough..plus im going to need any extra room i can get for the ducting. these gear look insanely good.

http://www.jetlegend.com/index.php?Page=95
Nut:
I have those in my Jet Legend F-15 (turbine) and they are wonderful. A little expensive but really nice and smooth. IF you buy them you will not be disappointed. Looking forward to this project.

Ed
Jan 01, 2015, 12:45 AM
its TALON TIME!
sweet thats great news! any way you can post a couple pics of how they mount? they look a little weird in the mounting.
Jan 01, 2015, 12:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut
sweet thats great news! any way you can post a couple pics of how they mount? they look a little weird in the mounting.
I will see if I can get some photos in a day or two. It is cold and rainy here now but should clear up by the weekend.

Ed
Jan 01, 2015, 12:53 AM
deltas are cool
Man you tore into that project.you'll do Jims plane proud.
Hey Jim it was great to visit with you today.hope all you guys have a happy safe new year.
Jan 01, 2015, 02:19 PM
its TALON TIME!
thanks ed!
Jan 01, 2015, 03:32 PM
Need 4 Speed!
Very cool project!
Latest blog entry: original Y/A F-18 Kit
Jan 01, 2015, 03:46 PM
how about running 14 instead of 12. make it go a little better than a big bus.If any one can do it I think you can.
Last edited by lazer; Jan 01, 2015 at 03:58 PM.
Jan 01, 2015, 04:36 PM
Super project, Nut. Looking forward to the ride.

Den