Dec 30, 2014, 10:31 AM
Bo Edstrom, Sweden
Thread OP
Discussion

World Championship RC-1 (F3A) 1962 COLOR videos!

Hi,
I do not know if it has been posted here before but have a look at these great Italian made videos from the past.

World Championship RC-1 (F3A) 1962 COLOR videos!

Italian speaker (so I understand not much what is said) but great videos.
If anyone that can speak Italian could do some translation to English and post here it would be nice to read what the speaker say in the videos.
I suppose it was someone in the Italian WC team 1962 that made the videos?

Part 1: Travel to World Championship, arrival and accommodation.

Londra - Campionati mondiali F3A 1962 1^ parte (10 min 0 sec)

Part 2: Preparation and testing of models in the hangar, flight line and flying.

Londra - Campionati mondiali F3A 1962 2^ parte (9 min 52 sec)

For example Masahiro Kato's Thunder-Chief plane in color, Gustav Sämanns Caravelle in color etc etc. A goldmine to see what color these old classic pattern planes had.
Tom Brett take off, flying and landing his winning Perigee.
Italian team members flying.
And in the end of the video is shown briefly a red/wite/blue plane "Mustfire" that belong to competitor Per-Axel Eliasson from my country, Sweden.

Part 3: More from the hangar with close videos of the models.

Londra - Campionati mondiali F3A 1962 3^ parte (9 min 33 sec)

For example:
Swiss team models.
US team models.
More flying.
At the flight line.
Gigantic score board.

And it seems these two videos below belong to above videos (same speaker).

How to fly pattern with reed (Orbit 10)
Italian speaker also here but one understand most of it anyway in these great videos from the past.

Part 1:
Cosa significa RC part.1 (7 min 42 sec)

Part 2:
COSA SIGNIFICA R/C parte 2 (7 min 15 sec)

Have fun (I had)!

/Bo
Last edited by bossee; Dec 30, 2014 at 10:47 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 31, 2014, 04:49 AM
Classic Pattern Pilot
SUPER SUPER!!!

Technology improved a lot since but the guys looked a lot smarter those days.
I will also wear a tie and suit next time i go out to the field...

Regards and a happy new year.

Achim
Dec 31, 2014, 04:58 AM
Videos where made by Luigi Baldi from Milan a active modeler and supporter of the italian team at '62 WCh. Probably he is also the speacker
Dec 31, 2014, 07:46 AM
Bo Edstrom, Sweden
Thread OP
latinRClover,
Nice to know who made the video, thanks.
I see You are from Italy. What interesting did the speaker have to say in the videos? Any partyicular You could tell us (that do not understand Italian)?

/Bo
Dec 31, 2014, 08:57 AM
Great vids Bo, thanks for posting these.
Mark
Dec 31, 2014, 04:21 PM
Hi All,

Yes thanks very much Bo, I really enjoyed watching them. I always love to watch RC videos from the past.

Happy New Year !
Ron T
Dec 31, 2014, 04:22 PM
Hi hook 57

Happy New Year!

Ron T
Jan 02, 2015, 05:29 AM
Great videos, they bring back many memories - I was there as an RC mad schoolboy
Jan 02, 2015, 07:39 AM
Bo Edstrom, Sweden
Thread OP
ukengineman,

Holy smoke - You where there and saw the flying and the planes?!
What do You remember from this World Championship 1962? Something special You remember?
Did You see the winner Tom Brett flying his Perigee plane?
How old was You at that time?
Did all really dress up like going for a nice dinner when they where flying (suite, skirt and tie)?
I suppose the dress code at WC at that time was like that and people wanted to look neat at the Championship (maybe one of their greatest event in their lives, who knows).
If they dressed that nice at the competitions I wonder how they dressed at the banquet at the end of the competition (must have been almost like going to the Nobel price banquet).
How many people, spectators, do You think was there at the competition days? Thousands?

In the videos they seemed to fly rather good considering they flew reed radio that could not be that precise with the constant flipping of the switches.

/Bo
Last edited by bossee; Jan 07, 2015 at 04:59 PM.
Jan 03, 2015, 05:44 AM
Hi Bo, I was 16 years old at the time. Without doubt what impressed me most was seeing Don Brown flying his proportional equipped model which of course led to the Quadruplex system. If he hadn't had the misfortune of an engine cut he might well of won the event.

I only attended on one day (I still have the programme by the way) and I would estimate that there were a few thousand people there, it was not uncommon to see people wearing ties to go flying back then. The flying standard varied from quite good (Brett, Brooks, Olsen, Brown etc) to terrible.

I travelled to the event on my 50cc pedal assisted moped, quite an adventure!

Alan
Jan 04, 2015, 04:15 PM
DavidsPlanes
Fantastic videos Bo!

Great narration too, quite funny at times. The Italians had a mathematician amng them who was calculating the probabilities of them winning during the channel crossing from France... I'll do some translation if I can find the time. The beginning is rather rough and hard to decipher but about half way into part 1 it becomes intelligible.

Amazing to see MK already deep into the swing of things, logo and all, with what would become a legendary company. It is mentioned that he was the chief designer (or perhaps manager, can't recall will have to check) at OS. Make sense that many of his designs would later revolve around their power plants.

David
Jan 04, 2015, 04:17 PM
DavidsPlanes

n

Alan,

Those must have been good travels!

Say, with Don Brown are we talking of Dave's father?

David
Jan 05, 2015, 07:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doxilia
Fantastic videos Bo!

Great narration too, quite funny at times. The Italians had a mathematician amng them who was calculating the probabilities of them winning during the channel crossing from France... I'll do some translation if I can find the time. The beginning is rather rough and hard to decipher but about half way into part 1 it becomes intelligible.

Amazing to see MK already deep into the swing of things, logo and all, with what would become a legendary company. It is mentioned that he was the chief designer (or perhaps manager, can't recall will have to check) at OS. Make sense that many of his designs would later revolve around their power plants.

David
sorry was away from home since.... the 1st. part describes their meeting in Bellocchio's house near Turin : Competitors are Bellocchio, Corghi (the mathematician ), Miliani the first two also have respectively Carlino and Bacchi as personal mechanics and there is a interpreter along with supporters ... travel starts Saturday 11th thru the Moncenisio Pass to France where they have some difficulties at the border because the unusual models electronics caused suspects among the police....anyway after a adventurous trip along france, the caravane including two Fiat 2300 sedan cars and the VW van carryng 5 planes, several radios and the equipment reaches Boulogne to board on the Saint Germain ferry to reach Dover....Some romantic toughts on the crossing followed by funny considerations at the British customs where "our equipment is not supposed to be used for a invasion"..
After 29 hours no stop drive they finally reach Kenley and very impressed by the friendly welcome they fall asleep by 7.30 pm.....the following Monday is flyng....at part 2
Jan 05, 2015, 09:03 AM

Part. 2

Starts with Bellocchio's models set up
then at minute 0.16 Fritz Bosch's car and mid wing plane "a very dangerous and hi skilled competitor from Germany" ,
at min 0.26 planes by Corghi X12 X13 ,
at 0.46 by Swiss team a huge box containing several beautifully built Orions,
at min 1.06 engine tuning and radio test under vibrations of Bellocchio's Tian one of the most admired planes of the event...the X13's engine gets Bacchi a bit crazy...comment is "women and engines, joy and pain" ,
min.2.18 Stephansen's plane from Norway,
min 2.30 japanese team with "misterious ideograms on the box maybe prayers and exorcisms for victory we tried in vain to have them explained, but there should be something misterious because radio Txs are accurately hidden from our indiscrete eyes... while our Miliani's Astro Hog is not a secret" (min 3.42).
Radio area at min 3.52 ,
Fritz Bosch models again at min 4.22 ( but should be all the German Team, first from right is Samann's Caravelle ),
min 4.30 Russian Team planes with hammer and sickle flag on tails, after wich "of course the Americans Brett and Brown" min 5.15
at 5.24 the Spreng's (so the comment says) plane flyng with a experimental proportional radio..
min 5.55 Tom Brett's model at practice flight take off ( Speacker calls it Nimbus...to me is a Perigee) comment is "landing of the American Champion not so ortodox...)
min 6.28 italian team practice flights time slot, first is Corghi and emphasis is on the fingers blipping on the controls and tense expression on the pilot's face in a "almost ipnotic state"
min 7.14 Bellocchio's flight "those test flights are indispensable to adjust controls for straight and level flight and adapt to the local conditions with a strong breeze so different from our usual ones in italy"
"test flights are to be in a hurry because the time slot is tight and mechanics are under pressure"
min 8.35 Bellocchio's plane is tryng different manouvers to check the best positioning according to wind direction...
min 9.27 Eliasson's plane from Sweden
End of part2 on a Russian plane rudder..
Last edited by latinRClover; Jan 05, 2015 at 09:08 AM.
Jan 05, 2015, 09:44 AM
Bo Edstrom, Sweden
Thread OP
latinRClover,
That is great so we know what the speaker said. Thanks for taking the time to do a nice translation and summary for us.

/Bo

Quick Reply