Chris...
to remove ads between posts
Aug 18, 2019, 01:59 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by britinoz
Possibly needs wheels 10-20mm forward??
Chris...
Chris I think you are right, I am printing a second frame with a few adjustments and the undercarriage will be forward as well as moving the rudder servo position to clear the body.
Joe
Aug 18, 2019, 03:18 AM
It's all in the Blades!
Quote:
Originally Posted by britinoz
Possibly needs wheels 10-20mm forward??
Chris...
Agree, it cant rotate naturally. Maybe could also do with a bit of extra blade? hard to tell unless your on the sticks. Whats the AUW Joe?

Rich
Aug 18, 2019, 05:28 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeLandings
Agree, it cant rotate naturally. Maybe could also do with a bit of extra blade? hard to tell unless your on the sticks. Whats the AUW Joe?

Rich
AUW 2.3 kg with two 2200 lipos.

Got it to lift the nose a little but uphill runway and wet grass made it difficult.

Removed the body and added an extended lipo tray to compensate for the body and had another try.

It was very gusty and not ideal trimming weather.
Joe

XENON SECOND TEST DAY LANARK (4 min 21 sec)
Aug 22, 2019, 08:17 PM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Hey Joe, great to see you back mate

The Xenon is (WAS) really flying nice .... what happened .. I guess its like my Models with 3D printed fuselages .. they start to get a bit heavy

I have been doing a lot more with 3D printing since we last spoke and might be able to refine the one I did back then, what wall thickness are you printing the body ?

I have played with different wall thicknesses and found 0.6 to be the optimum for rigidity, strength and weight ..
0.4 is way too flimsy, 0.5 is still a bit flimsy, 0.8 is GREAT but much too heavy so 0.6 seem to be the better choice IMHO

You've seen the Taube thread, here are a couple of others I have been playing with

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0#post42545279

This one I made mostly of foam with some parts in plastic https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0#post42558955

I love the nice shapes that can be achieved with 3D printing, BUT using too much gets much too heavy .. I think certain parts still need to be made from foam

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Aug 22, 2019 at 09:13 PM.
Aug 23, 2019, 01:38 AM
Thread OP
Tony I have built a couple of 3d printed Autogyros and the heavy body parts help get the hang angle.
The problem is usually with the tail and I have bought some LW-PLA and that has been the answer it prints light https://learn.colorfabb.com/print-lw...OPmivEdQ_G1A2Y

Been following your videos and posts, very impressive.

I will take you up on another body if that is OK but not the Xenon I will send you some files when I make up my mind which one to go for.

My Xenon body is 2 walls at 0.3with some extra walls where they join.
Joe
Aug 23, 2019, 02:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockadopolus
Tony I have built a couple of 3d printed Autogyros and the heavy body parts help get the hang angle.
The problem is usually with the tail and I have bought some LW-PLA and that has been the answer it prints light https://learn.colorfabb.com/print-lw...OPmivEdQ_G1A2Y

Been following your videos and posts, very impressive.

I will take you up on another body if that is OK but not the Xenon I will send you some files when I make up my mind which one to go for.

My Xenon body is 2 walls at 0.3with some extra walls where they join.
Joe
No probs Joe, you still have my email ? nice bit of design on the frame

Lockey
Aug 23, 2019, 05:24 AM
Thread OP
Yes still have will keep in touch.
Joe
Aug 23, 2019, 09:04 AM
Thread OP
Dry and sunny but still very windy, I could not resist another visit to the flying field.
Had a couple of roll overs and a few good hops, now have a better idea what needs doing to improve the model
Joe

XENON THIRD TEST DAY LANARK (2 min 45 sec)
Aug 25, 2019, 08:53 AM
Thread OP
Next day still a bit on the windy side but got a couple of circuits

XENON FOURTH TEST DAY LANARK (7 min 0 sec)
Aug 25, 2019, 09:21 AM
Joe, you have a lot more patience than me mate, I got so frustrated with autogyro's and went back to fixed wing

Lockey
Aug 25, 2019, 09:56 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockey
Joe, you have a lot more patience than me mate, I got so frustrated with autogyro's and went back to fixed wing

Lockey
I enjoy the challenge getting these things to fly.

Will have the body back on soon but I need to change the motor first.

This one hasn't any spare power on the climb out and with the extra drag and weight from the body I will need it
Joe
Aug 25, 2019, 06:33 PM
Well done Joe....although I think that I would have been a little reluctant to test in those conditions although the blades did spin up pretty easy.
Chris...
Aug 25, 2019, 11:59 PM
Thread OP
Chris it was a bit windy but as you say got the blades spinning.

Had a better day yesterday here is the video.
Joe

XENON CALM DAY TEST DAY LANARK (2 min 9 sec)
Aug 26, 2019, 01:52 AM
Its flying really sweet now Joe

Lockey

Quick Reply