New 3D kit: 3DZ - RC Groups
May 16, 2004, 07:03 PM
Crash Test Dummy

New 3D kit: 3DZ

This is the most fun I've had in R/C in a long time!

Here it is! After extensive flight testing with various motor/prop configurations and build details, the 3DZ is ready to release in kit form.

The 3DZ is an all-out 3D aerobatic machine that will hover easily on cheap IPS motors.

Here are the specs:

Wingspan - 26"
Length - 22"
Wing area - 200 sq.in.
AUW - <6oz (single motor)
Wing loading - < 4.3oz/sq.ft.
Airfoil - modified NACA 0015/20
Battery - Kokam 3S1P 340mAh
ESC - 5A (eg. GWS ICS-100)
Servos - 3 x Pico (eg. GWS Pico, Hitec HS-55)
Rx - 4 channel micro (eg GWS Pico)
Motor/prop options
1. GWS IPS DX-C with GWS 11x7HD
2. GWS IPS DX-A with APC 9x3.8SF
3. GWS IPSD-RXC-A with GWS 10x4.7SF

These motor/prop combinations are configured to deliver the most static thrust while limiting the motor current to <2.5A on a 3-cell lithium polymer battery pack. So, your motors will last as long as ever and won't become another "consumable" item.

Combo's 1 and 2 provide solid hovering with dependable vertical acceleration. Combo 3 hovers at ~1/2 throttle and delivers rocket-ship vertical, at the expense of flight duration. This is all based on the 'standard' 6-oz AUW. If you want to reduce weight by using a 250mAh pack or remove servo plugs, etc. then the performance just gets better, of course. The movie link shows a typical flight with the good ol' DX-A.

The wing is hotwire-cut EPS foam, the fuselage and huge control surfaces are resilient Zepron foam. The wing is a carefully designed combination of airfoils to eliminate tip-stalling and minimize energy loss in high-alpha maneuvers. The fuselage has ample side area up front and a huge low-slung counter-balanced rudder for easy knife edge flight. The 'elevators' are powerful full-flying stabilators. The fuselage is reinforced with dual carbon rod stringers and the wing may be (optionally) reinforced with a fibretape "spar". The motor mount is embedded in the wing for durability. The all-up weight is honest and easy. There's no need to remove wires, plugs, rx cases, etc. to build to this weight.

Foam cutting is proceeding now. The first kits should be available for shipping by May 21. If you've wanted to get into this type of flying but have shied away from the expense of brushless motors and controllers, now's your chance. Here's a full-performance 3D design that will ease you into this aspect of the sport for a minimum investment.

Check out the video at the top of the dV Flight Technologies Movie page for the "flight demo".
http://gvillette.rchomepage.com

PM me and reserve now!

Price $34.95 +s&h
Last edited by cayuse; May 17, 2004 at 03:53 AM.
to remove ads between posts
May 16, 2004, 07:36 PM
Experienced R/C Repairman
Looks like a great little flyer!

Yes, I would like to reserve one.

Keep up the good work!
May 16, 2004, 11:39 PM
Would this plane hold together if the power plant was an Axi 2208 34?

Colin
May 17, 2004, 03:43 AM
Crash Test Dummy
There's only one way to find out, Colin!

The motor is in the same weight range, but how do you mount the thing???

Tell you what, I'll meet you at Lando Field on the weekend, you lend me your Axi and I'll figure out a way to mount it.

Cheers,

Gary
May 17, 2004, 04:40 AM
Crash Test Dummy
Colin,

I couldn't let it go! I went over to parkflyermotors' site and looked over the Axi specs.

The trouble with the typical 'stick-to-ring' motor adaptor is that it puts the thrust line way off the centerline of the stick. Fine for a Slowstick but useless for a serious aerobatic ship.

Then I saw the radial mount! What we need is a laser-cut plywood adaptor that fits on the end of the stick, makes allowance for the rear-facing shaft, and presents a small "firewall" for the radial mount. Not so difficult!

I'll see if I can draw something up this week. If I can, my laser guy can probably cut a few in time for the Chilliwack event. You do have a radial mount, don't you?

Cheers,

Gary
May 17, 2004, 05:36 AM
Can i get 3 sent to australia
Regards Neal Collins.
May 17, 2004, 11:53 AM
Tee Sqaured
Way cool Gary!

I got a chance tof ly this on at the chilliwak indoor fly-in. Not sure what prototype i tested, but it flys AWSOME and is totaly worth 34 bucks!

wish i had some extra cash floating aorund, i want one!

Thomas
May 17, 2004, 12:11 PM
Pro Bro #495
Them holes in the wing are begging for some LEDs
May 18, 2004, 07:45 PM
Crash Test Dummy
Neal,

I'll check the shipping costs and get back to you.

Thanks, Thomas. This one flies better than the one you flew at the Red Barns!

Here's the idea for the Axi mount:
The "stick" is the motor mount stick on the model, the rest of the parts are 1/16" ply.
May 18, 2004, 07:48 PM
Crash Test Dummy
And here's how the balsa version is shaping up:
May 18, 2004, 09:09 PM
i'll take 1 as well, If your coming out to our electric flyin at the end of the month here in Chilliwack I can save myself some shipping and pick it up from you then Grant
May 18, 2004, 09:25 PM
Crash Test Dummy
Grant,

You bet, I'll have some kits with me in Chilliwack. I should be out there all day Saturday, and possibly Sunday afternoon.

These will be the foam version as shown at the top. I may be flying the prototype balsa version, too, but if I part with it the price will be a little higher.

Cheers,

Gary
May 18, 2004, 09:33 PM
Crash Test Dummy
OK, Colin,

I just saw the AXI stick mount by Climax. It looks very tough, is reasonably close to the stick line and doesn't depend on the radial mount.
What's not to like? It may be designed to fit the 3/8" square stick but you could always pack it to fit the smaller IPS stick.

Check it out here on the Smoothair site....
http://www.smoothair.ca/catalog/index.php?cPath=21

Go for it!

Gary
Last edited by cayuse; May 18, 2004 at 10:06 PM.
May 19, 2004, 12:35 AM
Leave me alone!
Having also flown the earlier version of the 3DZ, I can say it's a fantastic flyer and great fun. It's also amazingly stable in a hover. I got a kit from Gary that I've yet to build but hope to before Chilliwack.

Gary, what's changed from my version to the latest version?

Martin
May 19, 2004, 02:29 AM
Crash Test Dummy
Martin,

Thanks for chiming in! Your kit is the latest version. The one you and Thomas flew at the Red Barns was nose-heavy, and it had a thinner wing I had salvaged from an earlier project.

The one you and I have now has a much fatter wing. The wing tips are just as thick as the root section, but the wing is double-tapered. So there's less mass out at the tips which helps with rolling, and the blunt tip LE helps with tip-stalling. In fact, I've never tip-stalled this airplane!

I'm balancing mine at 3-3/4" back from the LE at the root (on a 9-1/2" chord) and it makes hovering look so easy!

Cheers,

Gary

Quick Reply