New FPV pilot looking for tips - RC Groups
Dec 28, 2014, 04:06 PM
Discussion

New FPV pilot looking for tips

I just started flying quads or any RC aircraft about a month ago, mainly inspired by Charpu and Juz from Lumenier and of course the Blackout crew. I wanted to share a couple videos and see what the RCGroups community thought of my progress.

This video was after about a week of flying. I did not know about the concept of PIDs or the Naze32 (which cleared up most of my issues) and so on, I apologize for the shaky footage. The quad is the XHover mxp230 frame with the cc3d on 3s. The fact that I could do rolls and flips was mind blowing to me.

little beast (2 min 7 sec)

This second video is about 4 weeks of flying, I shot it yesterday during Christmas break. I think I have the tuning process down a little bit.

Rollin' on Christmas break (1 min 41 sec)

I am aiming to be a sponsored pilot so I live and breath this stuff. I am happy to be a part of this community and look forward to hearing what you think and watching your videos as well. Also, feel free to subscribe to my channel. I am going by the name "Skitzo FPV" =)

Cheers,
Jon
to remove ads between posts
Dec 28, 2014, 04:26 PM
Blackout crew
IMO are helping to Kill RC...
They fly over house , in privet people yards anything they want it seems is ok with them..
IMO, because of people flying like they do,, all of us here in the USA could have RC outlawed !!
DanT
PS: Your flying looks good and out in the open not in peoples privet yards Good..!!
Last edited by DanT; Dec 28, 2014 at 04:37 PM.
Dec 28, 2014, 05:00 PM
You might like these?
DanT
FOREST RUN (2 min 46 sec)

CLOSE IN MEET (3 min 18 sec)

FAST FPV FOR GABLEC (3 min 6 sec)
Dec 29, 2014, 08:06 AM
400' ..... NOT
Quote:
Originally Posted by skitzo_fpv
I just started flying quads or any RC aircraft about a month ago, mainly inspired by Charpu and Juz from Lumenier and of course the Blackout crew.

This video was after about a week of flying. I did not know about the concept of PIDs or the Naze32

I am aiming to be a sponsored pilot so I live and breath this stuff. I am happy to be a part of this community and look forward to hearing what you think

Cheers,
Jon
You can do more damage to RC from lacking hnowledge if from what you claim in your first post is true. Posting videos can also get you a visit from the FAA for breaking the new 'guidelines' (regulations). Sorry to be a downer.
Latest blog entry: 1280mhz vs 1090mhz
Dec 29, 2014, 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Y
You can do more damage to RC from lacking hnowledge if from what you claim in your first post is true. Posting videos can also get you a visit from the FAA for breaking the new 'guidelines' (regulations). Sorry to be a downer.
I didn't say that I didn't do any research before flying. I highly doubt the FAA is going to visit my rural farm. They need to figure out how they are planning on regulating that. Do I own the air above my land? 90% of the time I fly, I am below trees, I am not a danger to commercial pilots (which seems to be what all of the fuss is about lately).
Dec 29, 2014, 06:18 PM
Nice flying! If aircraft are as low as you're flying they have much bigger problems to deal with.
Dec 29, 2014, 09:32 PM
fly by night
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanT
Blackout crew
IMO are helping to Kill RC...
They fly over house , in privet people yards anything they want it seems is ok with them..
IMO, because of people flying like they do,, all of us here in the USA could have RC outlawed !!
DanT
PS: Your flying looks good and out in the open not in peoples privet yards Good..!!
I think you mean the Team Black Sheep guys, not the Blackout miniquad flyers (never heard of a 'Blackout Crew')? The miniquads are really good - they have brought back flying low and close to FPV, when in the past folks were flying high and many kms away. The smaller the aircraft, the better and safer, less noisy and less intrusive it is. Some of these are just fine for in backyards and parks, but ideal in rural areas.

The real trouble are the newbies who go fly near airports, over crowds of people, into fireworks and around skyscrapers! These are usually 350-550 size quads.

Skitzo your video and flying is excellent!
Last edited by BCSaltchucker; Dec 29, 2014 at 09:39 PM.
Dec 29, 2014, 10:38 PM
I'm pretty sure the OP wasn't asking anyone for their opinion on the FPV groups he likes... He was asking for opinions on his flying; sheesh! I hate these negative @$$ holes spewing their garbage on noob posts. You're doing great man keep it up!! At least least your not trying to conquer Mt Everest on your first flight. Again, nice flying!
Aug 18, 2015, 11:18 AM
Holy sht. I dug up this post from google somehow. Fast forward 8 months (to now), the op is considered by some to be the best pilot around. This is really funny, in a cool way. Here is the guy's original "hey, I'm new and want to be sponsored some day" dream post. Guess what, he's on the top AND sponsored, only a very short time later. Mind blowing.
Feb 15, 2016, 03:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedStriker
Holy sht. I dug up this post from google somehow. Fast forward 8 months (to now), the op is considered by some to be the best pilot around. This is really funny, in a cool way. Here is the guy's original "hey, I'm new and want to be sponsored some day" dream post. Guess what, he's on the top AND sponsored, only a very short time later. Mind blowing.
\

Ha.. I've just come across this post myself and thought if was some windup.. He sure has put in a hell of a lot of stick time.. Even got his own motors now..

Bloody amazing!!
Feb 16, 2016, 10:16 AM
Why would anyone ever sponsor a drone pilot? That is the silliest thing I've ever heard. There are thousands of talented pilots, and drones aren't even 1% of what NASCAR or other racing events are. The second drone racing starts offering serious cash prizes, some organization will develop $50,000 quadcopters and blow all of this hobby stuff out of the water.
Feb 16, 2016, 12:01 PM
Well, not until they get as many people watching as NASCAR does. Even Battle Bots seems kinda marginal on the viewership.
Feb 16, 2016, 03:56 PM
least in "drone" racing there will be more crashes.
Feb 16, 2016, 05:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nergall
Well, not until they get as many people watching as NASCAR does. Even Battle Bots seems kinda marginal on the viewership.
And that is what I am saying. There is no sense in sponsoring someone unless it makes you money. Ex pepsi sponsors a NASCAR car so they get additional advertising from millions of people. If you sponsor a drone pilot, first off there is no room on the drone to put sizeable logos, and nobody in the hobby actually cares about who is flying what etc etc, and quad racing itself isn't even very widespread yet. It's like sponsoring an 8 year old while he plays basketball at the YMCA.

When he says sponsor, I hope all he means is his hotel + flight is paid for when he goes to events. It would be incredibly silly if he made any real money from it.
Feb 16, 2016, 08:22 PM
There are various levels of sponsorship for sure - usually starting with some free or discounted parts.

Also, there is this:
http://thedroneracingleague.com/

Quick Reply