This thread is privately moderated by mike_kelly, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Dec 27, 2014, 12:17 PM
Wisconsin
Thread OP
Discussion

Boscam TS321 RC302 Channel dip switch settings mystery

I have been troubleshooting why my 2.4ghz video transmitter and receiver were acting so wierdly. I got video on different channels than are illustrated in the documentation. I searched the internet and found many other people who are confused, but some people seem to do fine with the same documentation.

I finally figured out my problem and it is because I am a "half-empty" guy rather than a "half-full" guy. This is one of those interesting situations where two people can look at the same thing and see two entirely different things. An RC inkblot test.

The whole array of Boscam video transmitters and receivers use dip switches to change the channels for transmission or reception.

These little switches are used to tell the transmitter or receiver on what frequency to transmit or receive, and both your transmitter and receiver need to match frequencies (same as channels) or no video will be displayed.

The Boscam units come with diagrams or tables showing the switch positions and which channels or frequencies they represent. Using these diagrams seems to work for some people and not for others.

(Please note that the above picture is for example only, even though it was used by a vendor selling the 2.4gz Boscam TS321 it is actually a 5.8ghz transmitter. This sloppy practice adds to the confusion.)

In the diagrams/tables, the trouble lies in whether you see the little blocks on the switches ( the white part sticking up on each individual switch in the third picture down from the top) as being represented by the black squares or the white squares in the table. I always see the white switches as being the white squares on the tables but that is not the way the engineer sees them who designed the units. He or she sees the black squares as representing the part of the switch that sticks up.

If the dip switch pictured above (in the third picture down) is on our transmitter example, then the channel it is set to, is channel 6 in the above table on the left.

Another example, in the picture right above (with the table to the left and the transmitter to the right) all of the switches are toggled toward the numbers on the switch yet that combination does not represent ch1 in the table. There is no table entry that matches the way the switches are set.

If you assume the white squares represent the switch position, you get entirely different channels selected. Thus the problem...

Also, the transmitters and receivers have, unfortunately, different switch settings to represent the same channels so don't assume that both the transmitter and receiver are set the same for the same channel.

PS> I should note that I am not saying every Boscam product has switch notations like mine. But I am saying that mine are not the way I would have expected and if yours does not make sense try looking at it from the opposite perspective.
Last edited by mike_kelly; Jan 13, 2015 at 11:40 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 27, 2014, 12:34 PM
Waste Nothing
Mike :

I had some similar problems when setting up my Walkera quad . Reading the set-up table may be as easy as the interpretation of the symbols . In your case , the WHITE part is the switch that is sticking out , BLACK is the shadow . Use the WHITE for the settings . IE for CHAN 7 , set the switches as ON - OFF - ON - OFF .

Also note that picking up the camera signal on an adjacent frequency may happen as the actual channels are squished so close together to maintain the necessary bandwidth of the A/V signal . Hope this helps .
Latest blog entry: Filament Fridge ?
Dec 27, 2014, 01:13 PM
Wisconsin
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickC_RCAV8R
Mike :

I had some similar problems when setting up my Walkera quad . Reading the set-up table may be as easy as the interpretation of the symbols . In your case , the WHITE part is the switch that is sticking out , BLACK is the shadow . Use the WHITE for the settings . IE for CHAN 7 , set the switches as ON - OFF - ON - OFF .

Also note that picking up the camera signal on an adjacent frequency may happen as the actual channels are squished so close together to maintain the necessary bandwidth of the A/V signal . Hope this helps .
Well Rick that is exactly the problem here. The White sticking out is represented by the Black in the table not the white. The opposite you are expecting! I went through painstakingly and checked each switch setting both ways and on this TX/RX pair the White "tops" are represented by the black squares on the diagrams not the white squares. That is why it is so confusing. If you see it "your" way (which was also my way), you will get a video transmission on the receiver side, but the channels don't work out correctly. If you see it "White tops" represented by black squares all the channels start to line up correctly.

Ricks comment on adjacent frequencies is an important one. You may get a video signal that is not very good quality and what you might be doing is setting your receiver to a channel that is near but not actually correct. You will find the correct matching frequency is much better quality receiption than a close but not correctly matching frequency.
Last edited by mike_kelly; Dec 27, 2014 at 04:25 PM.
Sep 24, 2015, 12:27 PM
RC Hobby Enthusiast
The good dip switch positions for this Video TX and the compatible video RX :

VtX
http://ilovetoflyfpv.com/resources/v...requencies.pdf

VrX

http://ilovetoflyfpv.com/resources/v...requencies.pdf
Oct 26, 2018, 06:50 AM
They may have used different dip switch modules or mounted them upside-down on the PCB, so the numbering can be backwards.
Ilovetoflyfpv's ledgend mentioned in the previous post didn't address this, so I made my own, outlining the location of the dipswitch on the pcb for clarity.
Last edited by Aviato; Oct 26, 2018 at 01:10 PM.
Mar 21, 2019, 10:18 AM
An old thread but I have to contribute,
Be prepared for some Chinese creativity
Both vtxs on 2510MHz
Mar 21, 2019, 10:26 AM
RC Hobby Enthusiast
Boscam, the old good time <3

Quick Reply