Jan 02, 2016, 12:55 PM
Just bought this bird. Vendor announced jst connector, I have plenty of these batteries. Turned out to be 2 mm bullit... Need to wait for a jst female connector and start soldering.

I am reading meanwhile your reviews with great interest. Might avoid some disaster at maiden.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 02, 2016, 12:59 PM
"Champ'ion Newb"
Off topic, but until I get the Scout together...

First flight in some time, with the CTLS. Audio from a doomed crash in Bakersfield, CA.

CTLS Wax 150 (3 min 31 sec)
Jan 02, 2016, 03:56 PM
The wing molding is one of the best I have come across (not counting the packing accident that put a slice in the top of the wing), however I always trammel the wings to check for built-in twists. It wasn't obvious by eye-balling, but the wing had a twist from wing tip to wing tip.
For those unfamiliar with trammeling; This is very simple. Get two nice straight sticks. Turn the plane upside down and relatively level. Center one stick on the bottom of the wing close to the fuselage. Place the other stick centered near the wing tip. Take a few steps back and squint down the length of the wing and see the two sticks one behind the other. If the wing is molded flat and true, both sticks will be parallel with each other. . . no twist in that half of the wing. Most planes like this would benefit by having a little twist that shows the wing front of the tip stick higher than the other stick. Since the plane is up-side-down, you are seeing what is called 'wash-out'. I veeery carefully use heat on the top and bottom of the wing to coax this twist into the foam without raising the bubbles. An extra pair of hands might help do the heating and twisting. Fix in mind the position of the two sticks relative to each other.
Rotate the plane and do the same trammel with the sticks on the other wing. Heat and twist so that you create the same twist by looking at the position of the sticks. Both wings now have the same wash-out twist.
Aerodynamically, the wash-out twist makes the wing stall start at the fuselage and progress to the tip which helps keep the wing level and prevent the snap roll.
That nice foam molding isn't as smooth along the leading edge. The roughness will aggravate the smooth airflow and start the stall sooner. Use a sanding block and fine sandpaper to remove the roughness so the air flow is smooth.
Excuse me now while I select the replacement RX. My Tactic TX is an older 4ch with hidden features that I easily forget where they are.
Last edited by Jim Petro; Jan 02, 2016 at 04:04 PM.
Jan 03, 2016, 01:52 PM
"Champ'ion Newb"
Hey Jim. Good tips. The finish on this plane is such top notch!! I am installing the Lemon 6CH DSMX with Stab now. Setting the stabilizer on Aileron, Rudder and Elevator all at around 35%. Going to mask everything for the nose cowl and spinner paint...
Jan 03, 2016, 05:55 PM
"Champ'ion Newb"
Detailing... Cowel, pants and wing...
Jan 03, 2016, 08:30 PM
I decided to order a JST adapter since getting the ESC out to cut/solder a new connector seemed like too daunting of a task.
I still don't see how I'm gonna cram the lipo and wires in that battery box.
The floats seem pretty heavy so I took them off and put the wheels/pants on, at least for the first few flights. Hopefully the snow stays away or it gets a smooth crust on it.
I'm anxious to fly it. Nice looking plane.
Jan 03, 2016, 09:17 PM
Walked away from all landings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian VT
I decided to order a JST adapter since getting the ESC out to cut/solder a new connector seemed like too daunting of a task.
I still don't see how I'm gonna cram the lipo and wires in that battery box.
The floats seem pretty heavy so I took them off and put the wheels/pants on, at least for the first few flights. Hopefully the snow stays away or it gets a smooth crust on it.
I'm anxious to fly it. Nice looking plane.
My flying buddy bought one of these Scouts as well, he also switched the battery connection of a JST. He just did the maiden with the floats on. The plane took off great, he was very pleased with the planes flying characteristics, but he was quite concerned to the amount of movement of the ailerons, rudder and elevator and adjusted his low rates to 50% for the maiden with lots of EXPO. It flew fine.

However, as the wind started to get quite gusty he thought he had better land it and just as he was about to touch down, the wind gusted and caught him in a cross wind a the plane dropped a good foot, right to the snow level and the plane flipped breaking a prop.

No other damage, but he will put on a prop adaptor and use a stronger more aggressive prop.

I too have a Scout, but have yet to maiden it, I was also concerned about the floats and am considering changing over to a set of Dubro Skis which would have a lot less drag that the floats..
Jan 03, 2016, 09:52 PM
"Champ'ion Newb"
I just looked at the battery connector... Geez... What is this thing ? What kind of adapter do I need to get to JST?

I am so tired of all of these One off connectors...
Jan 03, 2016, 10:32 PM
Micro deans
Jan 03, 2016, 11:12 PM
2016 The Year for Air Shows
Quote:
Originally Posted by thosmosis
I just looked at the battery connector... Geez... What is this thing ? What kind of adapter do I need to get to JST?

I am so tired of all of these One off connectors...
The stock battery comes with a connector that was strange to me. If you are looking for an adaptor, try searching for:
- mini Deans connector
- Mini T Plug
- Mini Deans T
- Micro Deans
- Deans Micro
"Great Planes" brand seems to offer a selection of connectors & products for the Micro deans.

Jan 04, 2016, 11:42 AM
"Champ'ion Newb"
Thanks Red. I ordered one last night from ebay.
Jan 04, 2016, 12:23 PM
Has anyone found, and measured, a c.o.g. that works well ? Both with floats and wheels/pants.
I'd hate to maiden it tail-heavy.
Jan 04, 2016, 12:56 PM
"Champ'ion Newb"
Quote:
Has anyone found, and measured, a c.o.g. that works well ? Both with floats and wheels/pants.
I'd hate to maiden it tail-heavy.
I just often ball park at 1/3 back from the wing cord...

With the floats weighing in at 50 grams, I think balancing will be required differently, with wheels and floats...
Jan 04, 2016, 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thosmosis
I just often ball park at 1/3 back from the wing cord...
That flew well for you on this plane? With floats or wheels?
Jan 04, 2016, 02:36 PM
"Champ'ion Newb"
Quote:
That flew well for you on this plane? With floats or wheels?
No. I have yet to maiden.

Quick Reply