Dec 24, 2014, 10:33 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Mousse Can Pipe Muffler 32-36 size

Looking for specific information on the construction of a mousse (mouse) can muffler for 32 to 36 sized engines. I am planning a Webra 32 install in my Outlaw. If anyone has a setup I can replicate that would be very helpful.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 24, 2014, 12:55 PM
http://www.spadtothebone.net/SPAD/Mufflers/ For .25's. I would guess it would be similar to a .35. Maybe a bit bigger outlet tubing size. RPM's would be about the same, so lengths would be similar.
Dec 24, 2014, 05:06 PM
Thread OP
That is a good link aspeed...thanks! The pictures are very helpful. I finally noticed that he put the 1/4 exhaust stinger near the front of the can...was starting to wonder. I have read that 32 and smaller displacement engines can utilize a factory MACs header as it is long enough to hard mount inside the can. Larger sized engines need the coupling to facilitate the ability to float mount the heavier pipe and also to make header length adjustments. I am skeptical about welding the MACs header inside the can without knowing the optimal length, although I suppose I could run up the engine on a stand and hold the can with a pair of welding gloves to find the correct mounting length prior to welding.
Dec 24, 2014, 05:46 PM
I think the tubing would be cheaper overall than the Mac's header, being that the old muffler is used on the link's method. No welding is needed either, just silicon, and the pressure fitting for extra insurance.
Dec 24, 2014, 05:55 PM
Thread OP
This is my first attempt, an empty butane can...5.25" long by 1.5" in diameter. No seams in it...looks like a good candidate. I also have some 1/4" brass, as well as the valuable MACs header for the Webra. I read somewhere that can volume is not overly critical.
Dec 24, 2014, 06:01 PM
Thread OP
I have several of the headers for this size...if this doesnt work out for the Outlaw...I will put it in a 1/12 combat ship. Drilled the plastic out of the nozzle, cleaned it up and although not required...cleaned the paint off the exterior.
Dec 24, 2014, 06:08 PM
Thread OP
Really not much to this...cut a 1.25 length of 1/4" tubing for the stinger and used a step drill to open up the header end. I will JB Weld the stinger in tonight and leave the header end loose so I can make my adjustments. I have a factory Webra muffler, so the difference in tach numbers will be interesting. I just need a day to do some bench running.
Last edited by Discus54; Dec 24, 2014 at 06:14 PM.
Dec 24, 2014, 09:05 PM
Looks good.
Dec 24, 2014, 10:06 PM
I think you have a winner there. It looks OK to me too. I sort of gotten where I like to use the Old Spice Body Spray cans myself. The long thin cans work well as Mousse Can mufflers too.
Dec 26, 2014, 03:28 PM
Watch the length for RCCA events that have a restriction on it. I think 6" but it's been a while since I cared. But if you enter a combat event with a muffler that is too long they won't allow your plane.

But MAN can that little mousse can muffler make a motor scream.
Dec 26, 2014, 08:21 PM
Thread OP
Thanks fellows...good to know I'm on the right track. I went ahead and made some 1/4" reference marks on the header in preparation. Clearly there is a wide adjustment range and the total length varies from roughly 12" down to about 8" in total length. I suppose I would be cutting off atleast a couple of inches to get under 6" for combat applications. My Webra 32 is new, so I will be spending this weekend with the factory muffler running it in...started by getting one run on it today. Any noise reduction over the factory muffler will be a bonus...as the 32 seems noisy for it's size. I am using a Enya #3 plug, 9x6 APC prop, and FAI fuel.
Dec 26, 2014, 10:00 PM
Wow, I can't believe you got a reply from the famous historical Mr Clean himself. I wouldn't worry about the 6" length if you don't go in the sanctioned combat matches. I also think the flow has to move the length of the can and back to get the length needed for a wave. Experiments.......
Dec 26, 2014, 10:14 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspeed
Wow, I can't believe you got a reply from the famous historical Mr Clean himself. I wouldn't worry about the 6" length if you don't go in the sanctioned combat matches. I also think the flow has to move the length of the can and back to get the length needed for a wave. Experiments.......
I had to put on my shades to reply...hehe. Yes, I am after performance so I my initial thought was to slide the can until I find optimal R's then I figured I might cut the header 1/4" at a time and see what that yields. If I cut off too much...no worries, I will save it for my next combat bird...I have another spent butane can looking for a job.
Dec 26, 2014, 10:31 PM
Thread OP
earlwb...are the Rony internals decent? I am considering one for an OS120AX powered Fusion that has a factory muffler but am hesitant because the factory muffler has an okay 3D power curve. I will probably save for something else, but curious to know what sort of a curve it has.
Last edited by Discus54; Dec 27, 2014 at 01:28 AM.
Jan 01, 2015, 09:00 PM
Thread OP
Wishing everyone a healthy, prosperous, and fulfilling New Year! I used the factory muffler for break in and the Webra 32 took about 40 ounces before it was to my liking. Additionally, after looking at the engine application on the Outlaw, I decided to float mount the muffler. With that in mind, I cut off 1.75" of the 6" MACs header and JB Welded it into the can with 1.25" extending outward to secure the teflon coupler. The remaining 5.25" of total header length remains for adjustment. Additionally I drilled and tapped a pressure nipple on the header which coincided best with my application on the Outlaw and drilled a 1/16" drain hole in the can. I had a Irvine mini pipe for a 25 size engine and figured I would see what it would produce although the stinger is small and looks restrictive.
Last edited by Discus54; Jan 01, 2015 at 10:41 PM.

Quick Reply