This thread is privately moderated by burkefj, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Dec 23, 2014, 10:11 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Jupiter C

Here is another large rocket I designed/built using depron structure. I chose the Jupiter C that launched our first satellite. I'm using a 29mm stuffer tube with a 14" long by 3" diameter parachute bay as the spine. Only ply used is a thrust plate at the bottom, and one at the upper section to attach the recover device to. A couple of internal ones to center the 3" tube.

I found a funnel at a craft store and trimmed it to adapte the satellite to the second stage tub.

The transition at the top is a little oversized due to the 3" tube going down into it.

I built up the second stage can using depron stringers and sheet. The satellite is made from bt-20 tubing which is slightly oversized.

Target weight is 53 oz rtf with a G motor, right now it might be an ounce or two over due to the density of the 2mm sheeting I got being higher than the online spec.

The altimeter has an access hatch held closed with magnets.

Right now sheeting is done, I just need to build the fins, and add some details.

Diameter is 7" and height is 82.5" long. It should handle most 29mm H motors as well as any g motor.
Last edited by burkefj; Aug 11, 2015 at 05:14 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 27, 2014, 04:42 PM
Thread OP
More pictures, finished except for waiting for the recovery kevlar and chute to do final balancing and permanent attachment of the upper section. At 46.5 oz right now.

Frank
Dec 31, 2014, 07:13 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
VonBraun would be proud Sir!
Latest blog entry: RC 737 Max 7 Maiden flight!
Jun 16, 2015, 01:22 PM
Thread OP
Here is the maiden flight on an H-128, straight up, short tail slide and then ejection like a champaign cork

Scratch Built large scale Jupiter C rocket flying on an H-128 (1 min 25 sec)
Oct 28, 2015, 05:21 PM
Thread OP
Modifying the Jupiter C to Redstone Missile configuration.

Quick Reply