Dec 23, 2014, 10:52 AM
Mini-Review

SYMA X5C-1 (Upgraded Version) RTF 2.4ghz 6-axis RC Quadcopter with 2MP Camera

Syma X5C-1 6 Axis Gyro 4 CH 2.4GHz Remote Control Quadcopter Review
360 Degree 3D Flip Aircraft with HD Camera USB Charging Cable

First I would like to thank www.GEARBEST.com for providing the sample for review of what I would consider a great bang for the buck!

GEARBEST.COM "Designed for gadget lovers by gadget lovers”

They have a great selection of gear and great prices to match!

http://www.gearbest.com/rc-quadcopters/pp_73260.html

Product Description
Main Features:
6-axis Gyro stabilization system makes the quadcopter more stable and flexible when flying. It has the characteristics of wind-resistant and can be flown indoors or outdoors.

Includes:
1 x Syma X5C RC Quad Copter
1 x 2.4G Remote Controller (does not include 1.5v AA batteries)
1 x USB charging cable
4 x Rotating blade
4 x Portection frames
2 x Landing skids
1 x Screwdriver
1 x 3.7V 500mAh LiPO battery
1 x User Manual

Since there are a few reviews of this specific quadcopter, I wanted to offer my review and provide information that hopefully will be helpful for those that are thinking about purchasing and definitely for those that already own this nice starter quad! I want to cover basics but I will not be spending much time documenting information that everyone already knows or has seen in all the other reviews, what I would like to cover are the cheap modifications or upgrades to make this already great starter quad even better! Stay tuned for more videos and modifications.

My Review of the SYMA X5C-1 Upgraded Version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaM7RIB1TQI

First, the basics:
The full weight with stock battery and without the included prop guards is just about 102g, add another 6g for the prop guards. That means this is a very light quad which will give you nice long flight times. Flying time for me was about 6-7 minutes and that was without using the camera and using the stock 500mAh battery. Using the camera will bring the flight times down as expected to roughly 4-5 minutes which gives you a decent amount of time to fly and film. With an upgraded battery, you will increase your performance and overall flight times which I will cover shortly.
The SYMA X5C-1 (Upgraded Version) brought a few differences to the original X5C model. While its undecided if there are any performance differences, in my opinion the flight characteristics and related are the same as the previous model. Some of the changes include modification to how the camera is utilized for still pictures and video. The X5C-1 comes with a 2MP camera attached to the underbelly, the camera is actually attached to the battery hatch which I cover in more detail in the video below.

Using The Camera:
Some people have stated that they thought their craft was defective as their camera wasn't working correctly but as the instructions stated, the method of taking pictures and video has changed for this upgraded model. Using the LEFT UP-DOWN trim on the included transmitter, still pictures are taken by pushing UP and you should see one red blink on the camera, and video is started by pushing DOWN and ended by pushing DOWN again. Once video is started, the red light will start to blink, when finished, the light will turn back to green and you have successfully saved your file. The original model utilized the buttons on the top of transmitter, not so with the newer model. I cover this and other things in the video review.

The camera shoots decent pictures and video and very easy to utilize during your flying sessions. The package comes with a micro SD card reader which I believe everyone knows how to use properly but here are some tips that may help some of the newer viewers and users. When plugging this reader into your PC for uploading your video and pictures, it is important to always eject the reader using the included function on your PC. If you don't eject and get the 'its safe to remove' indication first, you could corrupt the files on your SD card so always remember to 'eject' first then its okay to remove.

Time-Stamps for Camera Files:
This may or may not be an issue, I have experienced it before and felt I would address if you are having the same problem with the time-stamps. When viewing the directory on the micro-SD card, the time-stamps may indicate the same wrong date, for instance my video and pictures all indicated 10-1-2014 which was over a month off. The easiest method I have found to set the cameras date is to create a text file using notepad or something similar and name it TIME.TXT. Once you have created the text file, open and enter one line of context with the current time following year, month, day and time. The formula would look something like this: YYYY/MM/DD HOUR.MIN.SEC, an example for today at the time of this writing is 2014/11/27 11:00.00. Save the file with that context of your current date and time and you should be good to go and your pictures/video will now have the correct time-stamps.

Flight Experience and Orientation:
This quad is generally designed for the new flyer in mind but its also fun to fly and take video for experienced fliers as well. If you are not experienced, install the included prop guards and you will save your props during crashes. If you are experienced, keep the prop guards off and enjoy the weight savings of about 6g! Less weight equals more flight time

For beginners and experienced pilots, this is an outstanding quad and great bang for the buck! I could easily fly 50 meters maybe more. I know there are videos and threads discussinf the TX upgrades to get even more distance and I will cover those discussions in future videos. With the ability to perform flips the overall performance is pretty decent. As you see in my and other videos, the LED lights are bright and don’t appear to use much battery but I will also cover some alternate lighting methods in future videos. One thing that may be a little daunting to new fliers is visibility during the day time as the LEDs are bright but may not be enough to understand the current orientation of the quad. I saw a tip mentioned that was a great idea which simply involved placing a strip of neon colored tape on the front and rear arms to help with orientation. You can get most any colors from local crafts store but after watching the videos, it definitely helps and is one of the cheapest modifications to perform so far. Even placing something like bright neon red stripes on the bottom of the front arms would help tremendously since the frame is white and hard to see in the day against the clouds and sky. I will post some more videos of flight and modifications but weather in MD lately hasn't been conducive to flying so worst case I will get some videos inside a local gym with frame modifications.

The quad comes with standard 7x20mm coreless motors, they are easily replaceable and very easy to modify to more powerful motors when the need comes for speed. The next video series I will go through removing and replacing the stock motors with performance motors from Micro Motor Warehouse. Benedikt has perfect replacements for the stock motors which will give you much more power on demand. I will cover that and prop replacements giving more power and overall thrust. I think the stock motors are great and provide the performance you would expect. Its extremely stable if not one of the most stable beginner quads

Flight Times and Replacement Battery:
My flight times were averaging 6-7 minutes and that was without using the included prop guards and using the stock 500mah lipo. When using the video options, the flight times averaged 4-5 minutes tops. Another tip that some have covered and I cover in my video is replacing the stock 500mah lipo with a 750mah lipo. The Nano-Tech 750mah 1S lipo Model NE-BA931 (from Hobbyking) is a perfect fit for this quad. This lipo with a discharge rate of 35C will give you more performance and longer flight times. My average with this specific lipo was around 8 minutes without prop guards and no camera usage, with camera usage I experienced an average of around 7 minutes! With the 35C discharge rate, you will get the added boost of power and longer flight times. The NE-BA931 weighs about 18.5g, just 4g heavier than stock so definitely worth the upgrade in my opinion. The caviet is that the lipo lead will be reversed and you will need to reverse the voltage on the pins but never fear, I covered the process in my video!

Do not forget to change the battery leads if you use this lipo as you WILL damage your main board and essentially kill your SYMA-X5C-1. Although the quad comes with an included USB charger for your battery, I recommend to use a decent quality hobby grade charger to increase the live of your batteries. I will cover more modifications and tips in future videos and please let me know if you have any specific ideas or modifications you want me to test and discuss. There are already a few great threads on the SYMA X5C-1 (and X5C) with some great reviews, I would like to keep this thread dedicated to 'hard core' modifications we can complete and hopefully cover some topics not discussed anywhere else.

Thanks for looking!

Edit 3/18/15:
Good news from Gearbest, they now off BNF versions great for spare quads and parts etc:
http://www.gearbest.com/m-goods-id-160426.htm?islan=1

Also available in BNF with camera for a couple bucks more:
http://www.gearbest.com/rc-quadcopters/pp_159526.html
Last edited by Waterbound; Mar 07, 2016 at 10:41 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 23, 2014, 10:53 AM
I'll keep this post updated with modification parts, motors, batteries and related for the SYMA X5C-1 (upgraded version and X5C)

Possible battery upgrades (REMEMBER TO REVERSE POLARITY-watch my review above for tutorial):

I personally use the Nano-tech 750mah version without the extra JST battery lead (HK US Warehouse)
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ehouse%5F.html

This is the Nano-tech with the extra battery lead. It will fit but tightly:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...warehous_.html

http://www.myrcmart.com/rcx-lipolyme...0s-p-6654.html

Same part number as Nano-tech NE-BA931 from HK but listed as 680mah:
http://www.helipal.com/ne411931001a-...7v-680mah.html
Last edited by Waterbound; Dec 27, 2014 at 01:11 PM.
Dec 23, 2014, 10:53 AM
Here is a great TX mod to increase your overall coverage from MelihK:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0#post31348766

and another great video tutorial on range mod for TX:
The Definitive Syma X5C-1 HD Quadcopter Drone Range Mod - Step by Step - Works For Any RC (20 min 15 sec)
Last edited by Waterbound; Jul 24, 2015 at 10:04 AM.
Dec 23, 2014, 08:17 PM
Suspended Account
Thanks for your review, Scott.
Could you list some pictures of this quadcopter?
Dec 24, 2014, 02:13 AM
Nice and complete review. Nice swapping nanotech's polarity tutorial. Maybe you can insert some photos to illustrate this review ? as well to insert the youtube preview ?
Dec 24, 2014, 02:52 AM
Nice review for nice quad. ^^

I made camera angle mod.: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...4#post30130502
Video after camera mod:
Goztepe - Istanbul, Turkey / Aerial Photography / Video (02) (2 min 41 sec)

There are few more videos in my channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/CDGenc
Last edited by IstanbulAerial; Mar 01, 2015 at 05:16 PM.
Dec 24, 2014, 03:06 AM
You can't see me! ☣☢☠ϟ nwo

Syma X5-C=1 Mod (Up & Down graded version) NWO CCPolice & Frankenquad

Howdy pardners! Here's some pictures, enjoy! Have a flyin' day & a Merry New Year 2015! YeeHaw! <3 CC
Dec 27, 2014, 01:39 AM
Suspended Account
Here is the video of this quadcopter from Alishanmao
Syma X5C Quadcopter with Camera (10 min 53 sec)
Dec 27, 2014, 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeByDocKy
Nice and complete review. Nice swapping nanotech's polarity tutorial. Maybe you can insert some photos to illustrate this review ? as well to insert the youtube preview ?
Thanks Seby! Hopefully helpful for those curious on flipping the polarity. I tried to imbed the YouTube video but it only let me imbed the url, I have to figure out what is different as I have imbedded videos all the time previously with no issues
Latest blog entry: Hubsan H107D Custom FPV Setup
Dec 27, 2014, 12:12 PM
Thanks for providing the pictures Cowboy, nice job on the custom paint as well!
Dec 27, 2014, 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IstanbulAerial
Nice rewiev for nice quad. ^^
Thanks for looking! I'm glad you enjoyed the review!
Dec 27, 2014, 11:07 PM
Has there been any feedback on this quad with regard to durability of the motors?

I was tossing up between the X5C-1 and the JJRC H8C.
SeBy did a great review of the H8C here
After reading the first few pages, I was ready to buy the H8C.
Then the reports started to flood in regarding motor failures.

Although the H8C appears to have a better camera, I don't feel like replacing a motor every 3 or 4 flights. So I am now leaning toward the X5C-1.

BTW, several experienced testers have found that the X5C-1 has vastly inproved handling when compared to the X5C.
Dec 28, 2014, 12:20 PM
I would say the X5C-1 upgraded version is basically the same as the original model with the noted exceptions in the TX (camera and function buttons), other than that the box is 3/4 the size to save on shipping. I don't own the original but I have seen it and flown and to me they are identical with performance and flight characteristics. Syma makes some great products, usually a very low failure rate with motors and various components so I would say the motors would last a good amount of time with typical care. The most important thing to remember is to immediately drop throttle 100% upon crashes to prevent the props from turning when they are locked due to being upside down or jammed against grass or ground. When the throttle is applied in those situations, the esc or FET can be burned out quickly. A lot of guys figure this out the hard way but always lower throttle 100% on crashes to prevent anything from burning out.

The other thing that has helped me is working in the motors when they are new. Applying throttle from low to high, slowly over a battery or two will work the motors in and help with longevity. Some guys don't agree and some do, the last thing it will do is any harm to your motors so no issue there and nothing to loose but IMO it has kept my motors alive for many flights on all my micros. Unless a motor is poorly made from the beginning, there is no reason they will die quickly when using some common sense. Don't over heat the motors, meaning let the motors cool down between runs before throwing another battery into them and don't overload them meaning don't weigh your quads down with a lot of unnecessary weight if they can't handle it or meant for it. Sorry for the ramble but syma makes decent products, they have been doing it for a while so I don't think you will have any issues as long as you use common sense and taking care of them
Dec 28, 2014, 08:16 PM
Suspended Account
Hey Scott, you can add your video of syma x5c-1 in this thread, it'll be much more helpful.
Dec 28, 2014, 10:59 PM

Syma X5c camera problems

Hi I think the quadcopter is great, durable and fun to fly. The only issue I have is the video files sometimes will not work when I look at them on my PC. Any solutions to this? Should I stop the video before turning the copter off?

Quick Reply