Turnigy TGY-i10 and Flysky FS-i10 - Page 51 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jun 02, 2015, 04:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEBAY777
I spoke with frank over the phone. He says he has the latest firmware for his FS i10. We went through his radio painstakingly trying to set up high/low rates in the same manner that I did with my TGY i10. The FS will not allow dual rates the same way as the TGY. We had to use conditions to make it work.
Debay777,

You don't need the conditions menu to set up dual rates.

I don't have the radio here at work with me but will look at it when I get home since I have dual rates set up the normal way. No conditions needed.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 02, 2015, 07:36 PM
Goneflying
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Hobby
I sent your concerns over setting up dual rates to the factory. They are going to review and hopefully upgrade to make it easier.

I set the high rate, servo travel, when first setting up control surface servos. Then set a low rate using one of the two position switches.
and ask about a in-flight trim switch too paleeze
Jun 02, 2015, 10:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jutout
Debay777,

You don't need the conditions menu to set up dual rates.

I don't have the radio here at work with me but will look at it when I get home since I have dual rates set up the normal way. No conditions needed.

I was on the phone with Frank and was at a disadvantage because not only could I not see exactly what was happening and my TGY-i10 is so different that it was hard to correlate my actions to Franks.

From what Frank was telling me, once he went into the expo menu and chose aileron stk, he could only program rate ctrl to a switch and that if he tried to assign expo to a switch it only gave him the option to assign it to a knob. The only menu options are to assign a switch to turn rates on and off, rate ctrl and expo ctrl. The TGY has the option to assign them both in one tap to a single switch.

Being 1000 miles apart and not having the radio in hand to sniff around the menus myself makes it possible that I missed something. Now, if Diamond wants to put a flysky in my hands for me to tinker with I would gladly give it a go.
Jun 06, 2015, 04:30 AM
My 1st R/C had 2 valves !

A couple of months with the i10

I bought a TGY-i10 earlier this year because I was intrigued by the "Smart Phone, Icon driven" programming interface. (TGY not FlySky because of the trim switch locations). At the time only mode 1 sets were available in OZ so I had to do a mode change, during which I replaced the micro USB socket with a more substantial connector from my parts bin, and rebuilt the gimbals with longer sticks and heavier springs to suit my "Pinch Stick" flying style.

After a few months of flying 3 models with this system, I am quite comfortable with it ergonomically, and the programming interface is far more "intuitive" than the 9X series. The OpenTX type systems may be "more powerful?", but many people do not seem to be able to "get a handle" on it. Last year over a dozen 9X/9XRs came into our club with much fanfare, but now only 2 or 3 are in regular use, the rest have been shelved or sold, 2TFW, (Too Tough to "fuss" with).

So, am I 100% happy with my TYG-i10? Well no, nothing is ever perfect, like many others I miss a throttle stick activated timer, but I'm coping. All the mixers I want, and many more that I will never use are built in. I was using a linear mix to get elevator trim with flap, but then found that by also activating the butterfly mix with the flap control lever, I could add the elevator trim there, and also play around with slightly raising the ailerons for landing.

I had an "oops" moment when I set up my first model in the memory, an EDF Delta, could not find the elevon mixer, so set it up by cross-mixing aileron and elevator using linear mixers and much futzing around with + and - control percentages, worked OK, flew it for a week with that set up. Then while setting up another model the smartarse system popped up a flying wing when I missed ticking the elevator box. Duh, I was confusing controls and servos. Servos First, then Control.

The 1.07 firmware update fixed a few shortcomings, hopefully we will see more in the coming months. I have one question of a more technical nature about this system that I will put in a separate post.

Cheers, EGB.

Eric from OZ
Kraft Radio Recycler.
Jun 06, 2015, 05:45 AM
Definitely, I agree with each of your words.
It's true that T9XR or Taranis are more powerful but who can handle with all of their functionality. TGY-i10 is ideal for me, more powerful than standard T9X but not so complicated like Taranis or T9XR.
Jun 06, 2015, 01:31 PM
The open pilot software can be a bear to learn but once you get the logic behind the programming it all falls into place. It certainly leaves a very large amount of room learn and grow with the hobby whereas many radios in that price point aret even computerized or able to be programmed and will leave you lacking when it's time to step up your game. I too hope that the i10 continues to grow. Someone needs to hack it and open up the software. I would love to see openpilot exploited in this radio.
Jun 07, 2015, 04:26 PM

Telemetry protocol

As I initially posted a success in sending telemetry data to the receiver and showed a short demonstration, I was thinking about a release of the software, after I optimized it and make it a clean well programmed solution.

Currently I do not have time to work on this task, and I decided the I release the software in it's current state, a quick and dirty implementation of a sleepless Saturday night.
Maybe it is hard to read at some points, or not very clever programmed, this is because there was interest in simply finding out if this could work. There was no cleanup and optimization done. The serial part is a mess to bee honest, but it should be a start for those out there interested in getting the basics of how it would work.

The program was originally written for an teensy 3.1 arduino "compatible" board. So pin definitions must be changed for an arduino version, along other things. But it should work on an arduino bord to!

Have fun, and let me know if you have made your own Telemetry board
Jun 07, 2015, 05:35 PM

Battery Mod

I also wanted to share my battery mod. I designed a battery case/tray and printed it on a 3d printer.
The tray takes two 18650 size liion rechargeable batteries. Currently each have a capacity of around 2600 mAh, they are connected in parallel an so the capacity sums up to 5200 mAh. This is enough to get the feeling you never need charging again
Jun 07, 2015, 11:43 PM
My 1st R/C had 2 valves !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lx386
I also wanted to share my battery mod. I designed a battery case/tray and printed it on a 3d printer.
The tray takes two 18650 size liion rechargeable batteries. Currently each have a capacity of around 2600 mAh, they are connected in parallel an so the capacity sums up to 5200 mAh. This is enough to get the feeling you never need charging again
Good job, thanks for sharing, that is definitely going on my "To Do" hack list.

EGB.
Jun 08, 2015, 02:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KraftyOne
micro USB socket with a more substantial connector from my parts bin, and rebuilt the gimbals with longer sticks and heavier springs to suit my "Pinch Stick" flying style..
How is the quality of the gimbals compared to e.g an XP9305 DX9 or similar?
Jun 08, 2015, 02:48 AM
Rusty

Micro Receivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa T
What is the lightest weight 3+ channel receiver that will work with this TX? I’ve been thinking of using this combo on the HK Nutball. I’d fly it in my back yard or maybe indoors. Thanks for any input.
This brick and
this receiver
Last edited by Rusty Nail; Jun 08, 2015 at 02:58 AM.
Jun 08, 2015, 07:49 AM
I have a 9xr and I thought it had nice gimbals. The i10 gimbals just float. In fact they probably feel too good. Lol. Seems folks have been modding the springs to give them a little more feedback. I love them. It's like silk
Jun 08, 2015, 01:44 PM
Some information and the stl file for the battery mod.

You have to cut out or mill out (this works better if you have access to a mill) the smaller sides of the original battery case (see pictures) right down to the hight of the backside case cover.
You then have to remove the bottom of the battery case and cut down a bit of the hight from the longer side walls. You have to cut about the hight of the thickness from the removed orginal battery box bottom. (here you can cut down a bit more if you like, about 0.2-0.4 mm (metric) or about 0.008 - 0.016 inch (imperial) ) It depends on the layer thickness of your 3D printed new battery compartment.
I cut down about 0.25 mm because I had a layer thickness of 0.15 mm.

I hope my description is accurate enough, if you have any question or find it a bit confusing, just ask.
Jun 08, 2015, 10:02 PM
i got my hands on the flysky model but I cant seem to update the firmware. can someone tell me how this is done?
Jun 09, 2015, 10:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEBAY777
i got my hands on the flysky model but I cant seem to update the firmware. can someone tell me how this is done?
I need to know the current Firmware version Letter Code in your radio. Go to the last screen and scroll down to "about".

Once I know that I can send you the link to the upgrade via "DropBox". The i10 manual is available on our website in "English" only where you can read how to upgrade.

You will also need an SD card to back up any settings you have made, if not the upgrade deletes all and resets.

PM me your email address along with your current version.

Jim