Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Dec 22, 2014, 04:01 PM
Thread OP
Mini-Review

Cheerson CX-30S & CX-30W

INTRODUCTION

Few months ago, Cheerson delivered the CX-30 quadcopter, a micro-size model shrinking the phantom canopy. Without being a bad quadcopter, this CX-30 was not very original, just a good and stable flyer among some other. Cheerson just announced the CX-30W
and the CX-30S, two "FPV" quadcopters based on the same CX-30 chassis. The two versions differ how they broadcast the live video. The CX-30W uses the WiFi technology (so more a digital solution) while the CX-30S uses a 2.4G analog modulation/demodulation system.

BOX CONTENT

For the CX-30S

+ 1 x Cheerson CX-30S (with a 1S 700mAh LiPo with micro-LOSI connector )
+ 1 x Transmitter (using 4xAA batteries not included)
+ 1 x 4'3 LCD screen whithout speaker (using 4xAAA batteries not included)
+ 1 x USB charger cable (using micro-LOSI connector)
+ 4 x Spare props (2 CW, 2 CCW)
+ 1 x 2GB microSD card
+ 4 x Props guard
+ 1 x Instruction manuel (English)

For the CX-30W

+ 1 x Cheerson CX-30S (with a 1S 700mAh LiPo with micro-LOSI connector )
+ 1 x Transmitter (using 4xAA batteries not included)
+ 1 x USB charger cable (using micro-LOSI connector)
+ 4 x Spare props (2 CW, 2 CCW)
+ 4 x Props guard
+ 1 x Instruction manuel (English)

OVERVIEW

The cheerson CX-30S and W are sharing the same chassis than the CX-30. Here a direct comparaison with the original CX-30, the CX-30S and the Yi Zhan X4, all are micro-size quadcopters

To handle the extra weight associated with the camera module, now some 8.5mmx20mm motors are used instead of the 7mmx20mm for the original version

The bottom part have two hook to attach the camera module

A total of 73g without prop guard

LiPo

A 700 mAh LiPo is delivered for both model

You can obtain a solid 5min of flying duration with this model. Around 45-50min to charge

Disassembling

8 screws have to be removed to access to the CX-30 interior

The good news, the FC board is using the same chips than the original CX-30, so basically a invensense 6050c and a beken2423 as RF chip.
The protocol is the same, the so-called "Skywlkr" already implemented in deviationTX for example

The top canopy part

Motors

Motors are 8.5mmx20mm so the largest coreless motor you can find.

With this motor, the CX-30 can carry without noticable problem the extra camera weight.

Props

Props are the same than for the CX-30, very similar to the hubsan X4 model

Transmitter

No LCD display, so trimming have to be done with associated beeps (a longer indicates you reach the central value). 4 top buttons are present. In fact, the 2 lefts one are useless for the CX-30W and CX-30S. For the CX-30W, you can record videos/take photo by pressing buttons on the phone's screen while for the CX-30S, you have to press the K2 button. The top right button select the speed mode (3 modes are offered) and activate flipping respectively. The gyroscope calibration precedure is activated by pushing both stick in lower-right position

I advice to enlarge one of the hole located front to pass through the antenna. It will favorize range distance in the horizontal plan of course in defavor of the vertical plan

CX-30S

The four buttons on the monitor permit to enter in menu/sub-menu, turn on/off recording and decrease/increase brightness respectively

The monitor is a 4'3 model displaying a 320x240 format without any sun shade.

Notice the presense of a micro-SD card slot in the bottom part. You can use this slot to replay recorded videos from the CX-30S inboard camera. You can't unfortunatly, record the live video via this micro-SD card slot.

Inside the monitor, you can see the foiled 2.4G antenna and the 2.4G VRX chip

Unfortunatly, I was not able (yet) to identify the AV output pin... (in order to use real goggles glasses for example)

CX-30W

Camera module

For both model, the camera lens orientation can be modified within +/30 deg. The FOV is not bad, around 80 deg IMHO.

CX-30S

The camera lens can be unscrewed in order to install a wide-lens version. Probably the 808 #16 lens D should be compatible

CX-30W

Cheerson CX-30W video snapshot 1 (0 min 15 sec)

FIRST USAGE

Cheerson CX-30S first outdoors FPV test (Courtesy Banggood) (2 min 41 sec)

CONCLUSIONS

I clearly prefered the S model versus the W one. The video link for the S model is much better with a very low latency and a relatively good range (> 50m without problem). The video link of the W version is just very bad. The asociated latency don't allow to fly FPV in normal conditions. More the lag is increasing drastically with distance. For both model, the control range is limited out of the box due to the 2.4G video emission. So out of the box, they are more adapted for indoors FPV with rooms having a nominal volume. In order to gain some extra-range in the horizontal plan, I advice to install antennas vertically and even in this configuration, the range is not fantastic due to interferences. In another hand, the CX-30S offers very stable videos out of the box without specific prop balancing. That's a good point. More, I think the display should be unmounted from the radio and be integrated into DIY goggles. With this solution, the video reception will be even improved (since the 2.4G radio parts will be further each others). A wide-lens would definitively offer more confortable FPV flights.

UNBOXING

Cheerson CX-30W and CX-30S unboxing and quick testing (Courtesy Banggood) (22 min 51 sec)

CX-30S

PROS

+ Smooth, stable flyer
+ Solid 2.4G video link with low latency and good range (> 50m)
+ Complete RTF FPV quadcopter
+ 8.5mmx20mm motors
+ LVC LEDs alarm (around 5mm of flight with camera off)
+ Prop guard included
+ Night flying capacity
+ DeviationTX compatible

CONS

- Limited control range out of the box (around 30m, 40m with the antenna mod) (when the quad looses control, the CX-30S is falling like a stone)
- No AV output from the monitor
- VGA recording
- Frame rate drop while recording is turned on (around 12 fps)
- No sun shade

CX-30W

PROS

+ Smooth, stable flyer
+ 8.5mmx20mm motors
+ LVC LEDs alarm (around 5mm of flight with camera off)
+ Prop guard included
+ Night flying capacity
+ DeviationTX compatible

CONS

- Very Limited video range
- High level of latency, at least with the android dedicaced app, usable for FPV
- VGA recording

This quadcopter have been courtesy provided by Banggood in order to make a fair and not biased review. I would like to thanks them for this attitude.

You can find the CX-30S actually for 90 USD at
http://www.banggood.com/Cheerson-CX-30S-FPV-2_4G-4CH-6-Axis-RC-Quadcopter-With-Monitor-p-956609.html

and the CX-30W for 68 USD at
http://www.banggood.com/Cheerson-CX-30W-WIFI-Controlled-RC-Quadcopter-With-Transmitter-RTF-p-954670.html
Last edited by SeByDocKy; Jan 02, 2015 at 04:38 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 22, 2014, 04:13 PM
Thread OP
Reserved for photos, videos and mods
Dec 22, 2014, 05:36 PM
Nice review as always.
How is the quality of the video feed (of the CX-30S) if you would compare it to a 5.8Ghz system?
Apart from that the range is pretty short of course, how about the object penetration when flying around trees or buildings?
And how about static?
Last edited by trase; Dec 22, 2014 at 06:36 PM.
Dec 23, 2014, 01:32 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by trase
Nice review as always.
How is the quality of the video feed (of the CX-30S) if you would compare it to a 5.8Ghz system?
Apart from that the range is pretty short of course, how about the object penetration when flying around trees or buildings?
And how about static?
Well I was positively pleased with the video link. I was not able to measure the output power but I guess it's a 100mW 2.4G VTX. The quality is good... of course with this basic monitor, you can display max resolution of the transmitted video but it's already not bad at all for such price. I had less static than the 5.8G around trees for sure ... I was able for example to cross to full floors of my block with the connexion alive. I can't do that with a 200mW 5.8G VTX even with CL antennas
Dec 23, 2014, 06:14 AM
Great review, as always well presented with good video.

Quadcopter seemed very noisy( compaired to standard cx30) in your indoor flight video. As if the motors were really working hard to lift the extra weight. But as you said it has larger motors. Does it seem as agile as cx30 , did the motors get very hot? Or are the new motors just louder?
Dec 23, 2014, 06:24 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon68
Great review, as always well presented with good video.

Quadcopter seemed very noisy( compaired to standard cx30) in your indoor flight video. As if the motors were really working hard to lift the extra weight. But as you said it has larger motors. Does it seem as agile as cx30 , did the motors get very hot? Or are the new motors just louder?
Yes... it's Noisy it's true ... I would say that motors are adapted to carry this extra weight (73g AWG w/o prop guard) but the canopy is introducing some resonances. Motors are warm after usage not so hot so it's a good sign.

EDIT I added a new photo #1 for the total weight of the CX-20S
Dec 23, 2014, 06:52 AM
Thread OP
Well even with the antenna mod, the range improvement is around 5-10m... so not so great...
and when the recording is turned on... the frame rate drops to 12fps... so it's even the "S" model is not a fantastic model too
Dec 23, 2014, 09:02 AM
Ok thank you for the information.
Cross two floors, was that indoors with walls inbetween?
Can the camera module/screen be used separately, that is, could you use it to mount on another rc aircraft or car?
Dec 23, 2014, 04:16 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by trase
Ok thank you for the information.
Cross two floors, was that indoors with walls inbetween?
Can the camera module/screen be used separately, that is, could you use it to mount on another rc aircraft or car?
1) yes

2) yes ... you need to provide a 1S LiPo ...
Jan 01, 2015, 09:36 AM
Good Job SEEBY

And good year

Good fly
Jan 01, 2015, 09:37 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONCLEFLY
Good Job SEEBY

And good year

Good fly
Thanks

Happy new year to you too
Jan 23, 2015, 07:24 AM
Hello. Excellent review! You write:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeByDocKy
+ 8.5mmx20mm motors
I couldn't find motors for cx30w, but found the motor for hubsan x4 with camera, which have a diameter of 8.5x20mm. Do you think the motors from Habana suitable for cx30w? Hubsan as far as I know weighs about 50g, 20 grams less than cx30w.
What do you think, motors from hubsan sufficiently powerful for cx30w?
Mar 04, 2015, 05:03 PM

WIFI Protocol

I have a CX-30W, and I would like to control it using a computer, for example a raspberrypi.

I know it uses a linux operation system, it would be nice if someone knows the u/p to access the system.

I've already sniffed the packets between the smartphone and the drone, in order to know how could I simulate the commands sent, but without success.

Already tried contact the chinese vendor of the product, but he doesn't respond.

Can anyone help me?

Many thanks,
Mar 10, 2015, 05:26 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxdroid
I have a CX-30W, and I would like to control it using a computer, for example a raspberrypi.

I know it uses a linux operation system, it would be nice if someone knows the u/p to access the system.

I've already sniffed the packets between the smartphone and the drone, in order to know how could I simulate the commands sent, but without success.

Already tried contact the chinese vendor of the product, but he doesn't respond.

Can anyone help me?

Many thanks,
CX-30W is only work with Iphone and Ipad,do not support Android.
this quadcopters Controlled by iphone,ipad,mobile phone or transmitter control (Phone connect WIFI, clink “APP STORE ”to search “ CX-WIFIUFO”, and download the software then can easily use)
There is a video to teach you.
Cheerson CX-30W 6-Axis Gyro Mini WiFi RC Quadcopter with Camera Control by iPhone (5 min 2 sec)
Mar 10, 2015, 05:32 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella Lu
CX-30W is only work with Iphone and Ipad,do not support Android.
this quadcopters Controlled by iphone,ipad,mobile phone or transmitter control (Phone connect WIFI, clink “APP STORE ”to search “ CX-WIFIUFO”, and download the software then can easily use)
There is a video to teach you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OiVT89BmKg

I am currectly controlling the CX-30W with my android phone ....

Quick Reply