Apr 19, 2016, 08:48 AM
And now the excuses for the delay ... the winch has been a source of massive irritation, I don't know if I got a bad one, but it is going back to the shop tomorrow, still in the boat and with the radio. It will be worth taking a few minutes to demonstrate the problem and test another for the same symptoms. As it is now, it cannot sail . Keel 2 has it's "make up" on and the float test is encouraging.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 20, 2016, 06:05 AM
My honour has been saved, the winch I got was a lemon and fortunately behaved as atrociously during the demonstration, as it did at home. We tested a new there and it was quiet and completely non twitchy. So ... the first sail could now even happen on the weekend ... if it does not hose with rain as the predicion sees it currently.
Apr 22, 2016, 11:23 AM
Winch problems can make anyone grumpy
Apr 24, 2016, 04:59 AM

Eureka

Well the winch problems continued ... the problem being that when switching on, the winch would sometimes stay in it's position and sometimes move into an over extended postion, ie. well past close hauled and sometimes do damage. The lemon winch did this too. I started a systematic problem search, by giving the winch the benefit of the doubt and looking elsewhere. Instead of a Lipo (without voltage limiter) I tried 4 NiMh cells, no change.
Swapped the receiver for a smaller newer one, no change. A foot note here is that I am not a motor person, not in boats and not in my gliders either. Having said that, I started thinking about the radio, which is new and was bought for my sons Micro Magic. The winch gets programmed onto the gas channel. The motor in a model is governed by the ESC in the model, which also prevents the motor going "online" if the throttle is open in any way. I tested switching on with the sail close hauled to its limit (throttle closed) ... no more problem after repeated tests. So it would appear the radio has a safety feature built into it. If the throttle was even slightly open the winch went into overextend automatically (throttle closed)
I delved into the manual and then into the "bilge" of the radio and see there, a 1 got changed to a zero and that was that. All that irritation, the repairs and many sense of humour failures for a 60 second programming change .... moral of the story ... when all else fails, read the book of words!
So! there is nothing standing in the way of the first sail .... except that it has been snowing outside!
The Winch is now super, loads of travel, precise and seriously strong.
May 10, 2016, 12:29 PM
Today was the day ... finally a bit of wind, no rain and time. The Rubin got unceremoniously plonked into the water and shoved out into about 8 knots of onshore breeze into short steep little waves. Sheeted in and off it went pointing high and sailing straight without any steering necessary, when the breeze picked up the boat started to gently head up into wind. Squeezed the main trim a cm or two and it stops immediately, after a few minutes I was sailing upwind without rudder and playing a cm or three with the main sheet. I have read and heard that the Rubin is a bit of a Diva, it is very sensitive to trim and I saw just how well it reacts to small changes. That main trim servo is so very cool. The Graupner winch behaved impeccably and I am very happy with my keel. The standard setup does not allow for the rig to be raked back at all, because of the weather helm makes sailing difficult. With the keel being slightly further back on mine the rig is slightly raked and I was impressed with how nicely the boat went up wind. After about 25 minutes and before I could take pictures, a little piece on the masthead holding the backstay broke and I nursed it back to the jetty downwind without that soft bendy mast falling down. A little repair and it will be out again for a video shoot.
All in all ... I am well pleased with the result and think I might celebrate with a darn good G&T.

Regards from Zurich

Daniel
May 16, 2016, 10:28 AM
Yesterday was another 25 minutes session on the water, reason for the short outing was increasing breeze and water in the hull... so hands full and no time to film or take pictures.
Went out in about 10 to 12 knots and 30 to 50 cm waves, lots of tension on the backstay and Cunningham to flatten the main, opened up the leech with the kicker (not too much or it flogs). The jib got the same treatment, tight luff and open in the top. The mast is still slightly raked back. Boat in the water and out. I suspected I might get water in the boat, because I pulled the old seal off that was around the deck opening and have not replace it yet. Added to that the previous owner made the opening through the deck for the mast way too big and that in the end was the biggest culprit in letting water. The boat behaved very well, I did not have any weather helm, not even in the gusts as the wind started picking up. The main trim servo was all I needed upwind and the boat looked gorgeous heeled over and banging through monsterous waves (relative to its size) Even as the wind picked up to about 15 knots I could still hold and control it well under full sail. Downwind it surfed and got really twitchy at the speeds it was doing, I need to play with the throws on the rudder. As the wind got up I stuffed the bow a few times going downwind and that is where I suddenly had half a litre of water in the boat.
To do: Seal the hatch and mast, make a bung screw in the stern to let water out, increase the mast rake slightly ( a tiny bit of weather helm is good) and get a video made
To the other Rubin builders, I would recommend the main trim servo, the boat reacts brilliantly to it. The keel mod is not a must, it suits the way I sail and conditions in which I like to sail. If you sail in mostly light winds the original position is fine, but the weight must go back. The easiest could be to hang the bulb further back on the keel and play with battery positions. I am now hoping to find a few more Rubin sailors to sail with and compare notes.

regards from Zürich
Daniel
May 16, 2016, 01:29 PM

Rubin

Congratulations, Daniel! It's been interesting reading........ Good luck finding someone to compare notes with.
May 18, 2016, 12:14 AM
Thanks Doug

I suspect you are the only other participant in this thread ... and I haven't even thought about foils on the Rubin yet
May 18, 2016, 08:24 AM
Boomer1
So what am I, chopped liver? Who started this discussion anyway.
Just kidding. Your contribution is exactly what I'd hoped would develop. Good stuff. Be nice if a few others would share their thoughts on these classic yachts.
Boomer
Apr 18, 2017, 09:22 PM
Whats going on with your Rubin Boomer?
Apr 21, 2017, 02:19 AM

Two Rubin fleet

I have two Rubin's but have not done anything with them. Thought a One Ton group of models would be a cool thing. Just haven't started yet....

D