Dec 19, 2014, 05:57 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Sig Riser 100 build

I started building the wings last night, and have learned a valuable lesson already, (my first build), Read the instructions before starting! I was reading and building and reading and discovered I got ahead of the instructions! It was not a complete loss, but learned a valuable lesson! This is my first ever and I am like a kid with a new toy, the hobby shop I am getting supplies from, is amazed that anyone would build a kit plane and not choose an ARF. He said, but you'll be flying today!
I expect I will learn a few more lessons before I am done, and looking forward to my next build already!
to remove ads between posts
Dec 19, 2014, 06:12 AM
PBR Sailplane
You'll find the Riser 100 to be an outstanding preformer, to date I've built atleast 7 of them, refining the plane to suit my needs and flying style along the way. You will definately want spoilers, it will make landing much easier and predictable. Putting a micro servo in each wing is by far the easiest way, I used the string method on the first few 100's, once set up they work fine, just takes a bit to get both the same. Put your receiver battery as far forward as you can and I put the servo's right behind the battery up front. helps when balancing.
If you have any questions, just ask, there are plenty of guys here with tons of experence to help you be sucessfull with this project.

Good Luck
Chris
Dec 19, 2014, 10:39 AM
Nogills2
You are in front of me with your build, i am looking at mine its under the christmas tree.
I will just have to wait a week.This will be my first kit build, i've done a few depron scratch builds but can't wait to get started.
How far have you got with the wings?

Regards Dean
Dec 19, 2014, 07:23 PM
fa2
fa2
Add turbulator spars (2) between the le and the spar - I've flown both ways - turbulator spars float out the light lift better
Dec 19, 2014, 07:25 PM
fa2
fa2
1/8" square balsa or spruce will do fine - also, that nose is awefully long - I shortened it a bit for better turning
Dec 19, 2014, 07:32 PM
Thread OP
I have the fuse partly done, and one section of the right wing. I am taking my time and busy during the holidays. I am really looking forward to get this in the air. I am planning to install an electric motor, mostly because I live in flatland! Although I watched a video on youtube of someone flying at the beach, I would be paranoid I would lose it in the water! video was titled riser 100 flying like a pelican, or something like that.
Dec 19, 2014, 07:34 PM
Thread OP
SIG RISER 2 METER PLAYING PELICAN.wmv (5 min 35 sec)
here is the link
Dec 19, 2014, 07:51 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by fa2
Add turbulator spars (2) between the le and the spar - I've flown both ways - turbulator spars float out the light lift better
I have an idea of what you mean, would love to see a pic or a sketch, so I am sure!
Dec 19, 2014, 08:05 PM
It's gonna be YUGE!!!
Nogills, good for you! I've built 2 or 3 Riser 100's. They are pretty good fliers, especially considering the price point for the kit. Follow the directions, go slowly and carefully, and don't hesitate to ask questions!

@ fa2, with all due respect, I'd advise against shortening the nose. yes, it is a bit long and funny looking, but the R 100 is a bit on the tail heavy side, you'll need weight as far forward as you can possibly get it. I found a 1.5 square hardwood block at Hobby Lobby for about a buck, much heavier than balsa, and durable! Then i drilled a hole right down the middle (but not all the way through) and put in a couple of .44 slugs..... that's getting the weight forward!

Oh, and one bit of advice to nogills, build the rudder straight, do not build it with the aerodynamic counterbalance forward of the hinge line. It simply is not necessary, is easier to build, and some argue gives better performance.
Dec 19, 2014, 10:33 PM

riser

Just finished mine, turned out pretty good, I put a motor in it (Emax BL2810/12).
Even with a 2200 Ma battery it's still tail heavy. I cut 2 inches from the nose thinking I would need it with weight of the motor and battery, but was a mistake, should have left it long. It ended up still tail heavy. Had to put nine oz more in the nose.
You will need 1/4 inch tri-stock on both sides of the elevator top and bottom, the way the vertical stabilizer mounts there isn't much keeping it in place. It turned out 4 lb on the money completely finished. Yes on the spoilers!!
phil
Dec 19, 2014, 10:55 PM

Riser

nice video NOGILLS2
What motor and battery do you intend to install?
phil
Dec 19, 2014, 11:00 PM
Thread OP
Not sure at all, found it searching youtube for build info. Love the video though!
Dec 19, 2014, 11:03 PM

riser

I read the motor on the RadianPro works good. With stock prop. Its pretty cheap too.
phil
Dec 19, 2014, 11:04 PM
Thread OP
To give you an idea, I have been looking for a sailplane for 3 or 4 months, decided on the SIG Riser, because of the reviews of ease to build for noobs, also ease of learning to fly. I did buy a quadcopter to learn how to use controls. It is a miniature will sit in the palm of my hand. It is a blast to fly and can fly indoors.
Dec 19, 2014, 11:12 PM

sig

too cold to fly here until around April. What is your location?
phil

Quick Reply