Dec 19, 2014, 04:30 AM
Thread OP
New Product

NUCLEUS ZMR250 Integrated PDB Master Thread !!!!!

NUCLEUS ZMR250 Fully Integrated PDB Master Thread

If you have found a quadcopter and scanned the code on it which led you here .Please post to let us know you have found it so we can locate the owner or contact possible owner directly from list below
Missing Quadcopters: Owners Name /City

Fits: ZMR250 (cloneout), FPV250, RCX H250CF-3K

This master thread will be added to the PDB via scannable QR CODE and will hold all information , specs , PDF manual , diagrams and ordering links. I will keep this first post
updated with all new information and add the old updates to post 2&3 to keep a log of progress.

Reading the User manual before using your PDB is very important with this PDB due to its advanced features.
PDF USER MANUAL (Last update 3/21)WIll be continually updated.This manual may be posted in other locations on the internet.Always follow the manual here as its the most recently updated version) - Click image below

Nucleus PDB GITHUB - Click image

NUCLEUS PDB FACEBOOK GROUP PAGE (made by 747Pilot)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/NucleusPDB/

preORDER HERE link –https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...8#post30543197
Refer to this thread for order progress updates.

Sold at Team-legit.com - http://team-legit.com/product/nucleu...it-for-zmr250/

Team LEGIT Product video
Intoducing the The Nucleus Team Legit WadsofQuadz PDB 1 (7 min 20 sec)

Most recent update of pdb 2/10/15

Install videos
Installing/soldering the LC filter capacitor
How to solder your nucleus PDB capacitor (0 min 40 sec)

heres a video of soldering LEDs .
for those of you that requested dark boards if you do want to add the leds later make sure that you put them in the correct direction .The notch in the pic below is the ground side of the LED. PDB led polarity is marked with a plus so notch goes opposite of the +

soldering LEDS on NUCLEUS PDB (1 min 0 sec)

Opening up buzzer holes (needed for the first batch of 30ish boards sent out) Boards sent out after that have them predone)
opening up buzzer holes on a few of the first shipped Nucleus PDB's (1 min 1 sec)

Team-Legit build video
Nucleus PDB Build Video (33 min 2 sec)

If you guys have been following the zmr250 mini quad thread I have been posting my progress on this pdb as it progresses . At this point it is at its final stages of getting it ready for production

Updated2/10/15
NUCLEUS fully integrated ZMR250 PDB Features and Specs:
This first of its kind All-in-one design will give you the cleanest ,most wireless zmr250 build yet!
Comes assembled except for buzzer in case you dont want to use it or use a different one.

-1.6mm thick,2oz copper PCB with black mask and white silkscreen graphics.

- Enig ( Immersion Gold plated pins/pads and filled or tented vias.

-4 Sets of ESC power pads for each arm. ESC and motor signal pads top and bottom

-Main Battery pads on top and bottom of the board.Bottom to keep battery leads out of the way and protected. Ziptie holes with allow for secondary securing of the battery leads to help in hard crashes. 3S and 4S capable.

-Wide uninterrupted power and ground plane to give the the highest current handling possible. The more copper on the plane with no traces restricting it,means the more power you can run on it without it starving motors/escs and heating up..

-On board motor/esc connection to FC. No need to run any wires from your esc to you Flight controller. A signal pad is located next to each esc power pad . Motor 1 also has ESC BEC5v power pad to power the flight controller. Also one AUX BEC pad off motor4.

-Built in LC filter for FPV

-ON board (clean)filtered 5v 1A LM2940 regulator to power 5v FpV hardware with pads at each FPV component locations and FC if using non bec esc's

-Filtered 3S(12v) pads at front for camera,one for StpDWN reg and rear for VTX
Front(cam) mid(Polulu) and rear(VTX video pads

-(Compatible with POLULU regulator boards)Optional direct solder in pads/pin header to connect a POLULU step down or/and step up for 4s safe fpv operation. 4s pads for cam and rear for vtx

-Clean 5v powered Direct Solder/plug in compatible with MINIM OSD with all connections on board. MINIM setup for smooth operation with no text overlay issues. Pads on Pdb are igital side: 5v/gnd/rx/tx with additional rx and tx pads on board. Analog side:video in/video out/gnd

-Additional filtered AUX 5v output pins

-RSSI components built in (resistor,cap) to run RSSI from FRsky D4RII receivers into the minim osd. Pads for D4rII rssi and minim rssi on board.

-On board pads/pinheader to run optional WS2812b Programmable RGB LED
strips. Can be programmed by Cleanflight to display multiple features like orientation,Various warnings,flight modes,stick input direction,lost model flashing,arming etc. 4 pads total .1 dATA IN to connect lead to naze32(rxpin5) + 3pads for direct plug in 3 wire lead LED strip(pwr,gnd,Data)

-On board front and back Leds on bottom of board.white front ,red rear. Can be turned on and of by solderjump pads. Comes in the off state,jump to light. Plcc2 or 1206 smd leds can be used.

-On board piezo buzzer-pretty loud( not factory installed) up to user to solder on board.Buzzer can be mounted on top or bottom of pdb. Easy to solder pads that line up with NAZE32 and Flip32/Dragonfly32

- Slots for battery straps.

-All pads to FC are strategically located to line up with naze32 in 90degree right orientation. Dragonfly32/flip32 lined up as well in its standard orientation just needing to solder your 90degree motor pin header under board facing in.

-On board Vbat pads for FC directly in line with NAZE32,dragonfly32,flip32

-6.3mm isolation around all screw/standoff holes as well as no copper around arm mounting area to prevent any possible shortcircuts.

-Camera pads and front esc pads moved as far away as needed from camera mounting area so they dont come in contact with cam.

-QR code printed on board (smartphone scannable) bringing instant access this page with links to all info.

Nucleus PDB diagram and 3d rendering:

This thread is also for users to ask questions,get advise,talk about the pdb or your zmr250 built with it,etc.All updates will be done on this original post so it doesnt get lost in the pages .

Last edited by WadzofQuadz; Apr 01, 2015 at 01:37 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 19, 2014, 04:31 AM
Thread OP
Old update posts from the ZMR250 thread

Just wanted to get some feedback from you guys .I have been designing the next gen of pdb for our zmr's for a few weeks now since oc wasnt making more .I am trying to get everything as perfect as can be with as little to no noise introduced in the fpv system as possible and all a super clean almost wireless setup. Also with every feature possible .

Heres what i got so far .
LC filtered batt voltage as well as regulated filtered 5v for running 5v cams . This is a onboard reg and not coming from a noisy Bec . connection for filtered batt ,video,audio front and back. One extra regulated 5v aux pad onboard as well. Traces on board ran in best way possible so to not introduce noise from other traces. Audio can be used as a front to back aux if not using. The filtered 5v does not go to the back of the board so there is no confusion of accidentally hooking batt voltage to 5v or damaging the 5v on your vtx.

-All motor connections are built in to board with pin header right at the FC desugned as for best placement with the naze32 and drangonfly32. This means there are no wires that need to come from the escs to the fc,

-Vbat pads also placed for closest connection to fc

-Has OSD pins so a osd can be connected under the fc,

-LC filter ,video pads and esc pads placed where they get in the way of camera placement or fc pins. Power traces are calculated for enough current so that they wont get warm or burn.

LEDs are on the bottom of the board and are programmable through cleanflight to change for orientation,arm/disarm/flight modes etc. Also is the option of running them regularly in any color one wishes by changing a jumper.

-There will be pads for a buzzer but its a option only as buzzers on board introduce noise.

Holes are on board so if running spacers and ecs inside the wiring can be routed up through the board. All isolation around standoffs etc are big enough not to come in contact.

There are some other little things here and there but thats mainly the jist of it. If you guys see something that you think is a issue or would want added in let me know. i wanted to get some feedback here before i finalize my design so anything let me know now. this post is just for feedback/changes and not ordering so lets keep it about that. Thanks.

Heres some more updates guys
i made some changes on my Pdb design after getting some input from you guys .Those who have Pm'ed me with things you would like i thank as well. i noticed there are more of you then i thought who would like a 4s option so i added one. now you can set it up for standard 3s .
pads for the vtx are setup as filtered 3s pad/ gnd / video pad. These 3 pads are what you would use for 3s . I added additional pads labeled (4sout) and (x!) These pads used in conjunction with the 3s pads
allow you to plug in a Polulu step down,step up/down regulator for 4s operation . The filtered 3s Pad becomes the Vin for the polulu. This way you are not limited to 3s or 4s and they dont conflict with eachother.

The next change i did was with the leds. some people asked for "dark versions" ,some wanted Leds on board . I originally was gonna go with programmable rgb leds. Instead i set it up for all 3 options. There are
standard PLCC2 or 1206 LEDs on the bottom of the board.White in front,red in rear. These LEDs do not come on out of the box which gives it the dark board feature. there are SMD jump pads on board which
you just have to bridge solder across the pads to activate leds.This is done very easily by anyone. What gives it the third option of programmable leds is on board there is a pin header. First pin is a single lead
to pin 5 on the naze32 and that is for Dataout which controls the LED functions. The rest of the pins on the header is so you can directly plug in proggrammable LEd strips. This allows you to add programmable
leds where you would like on your build.

Another feature that was added is pads to connect a osd directly to the board. it is based on the e-osd . The e-osd has batt1 pins,batt2 pins and video pins . All of these connect to the pdb for full functionality.
Batt1 will connect to filtered 3s .Batt two is filtered 5v.

lastly i cleaned up and optimized the traces even more to get as much copper as possible on the power and ground planes.Its amazing how clean the trace runs are with the amount of features on this pdb. Every trace is also big enough
to handle any amount of current that would be running through them, Also isolation around all holes are big enough not to come near any of the standoffs or screws.

since there is a 5volt regulator (filtered) on board there is no need to take 5v from a noisy esc or need for a 5v pad around the vtx pads.You no longer need to use the 5v cam out on your VTX. That means theres no wat
to accidentally connect your camout5v on your vtx to battery voltage thus frying it like iv read some have done before. other features include main batt pads on top and bottom. I put them on the bottom incase you want to run
your batt inside the frame and not have the wires in the way.

All in all with the motor signal wires and everything being built into the board you can acheive a super clean almost wireless setup. No servo leads have to be running across the board all the way to the fc anymore.That
alone significantly cleans up the overall look of the build and has some weight savings to go with that. The position of the pins around the fc ( motor pins,bec,buzzer,prog leds and vbat are in locations optimized for both
the naze 32,dragonfly32 and kk2.1. All three get positioned/connected a little differently. The naze32 gets orientated where the usb faces the left side of the pdb so all pins on the pdb line up with the related pins on the fc
The dragonfly32 is orientated in it standard orientation. I set it up so you have your 90 degree motor pins mounted on the bottom of the fc so the leads can plug in straight under the fc and buzzer/vbat are on the right side. .The
KK2.1 gets mounted in its standard orientation as well. All of the make for the shortest servo lead runs.You really only need a cable 1.5-2" long.

Other little things i designed for is not having any pins come in contact with the lc filter components , front esc pads dont come in contact with fpv cam and cam connection pads arnt sitting under the cam either.
The ESC pads were turned 90 degrees so now esc's mounted on the arms can have the wire going in a straight run to the pads not turned. That makes it a little cleaner looking and a little easier to solder. There will be holes
for the wires to run to the top side of pdb as well for those who run spacers and the escs inside the frame.

Everything on the pdb is clearly labled in the silkscreen to make it easy to know where and how everything gets connected. Error proof!I tried to think of everything with this Pdb and i think it will fit everyones
build style.
The last thing i need to do is add the pads for a buzzer. I will include it on the pdb if i can.I am still trying to source a good active Piezo buzzer that is small and also cheap so it doesnt increase the cost too
much and is also loud enough. If anyone has any ideas of where i can find one that would be great. I have been searching. They are either passive buzzers or too big or magnetic or not loud enough or too expensive, its proving hard
to find one thats just right. When i find one i will add it to the Pdb.

Heres some pics and diagrams

Diagram of functions

Bottom

with component rendering.

Ok guys ,Heres a pretty much final update on my PDB before i get ready to send it out for manufacturing. I made a couple more changes/additions . whats new from my previous post on page639 is i got the buzzer location and pads done. Also added some ziptie holes for securing the battery leads. Lastly i rmoved all the copper from under the arm mounts. Also logos and silkscreen finished. Logos not shown in pic. What i would like to also do is add a QR label to the silkscreen so you can scan it with your smart phone and it brings up a PDF manual with links also to the PDB thread and vendors product page. Im not having good luck with getting it on there yet but ill keep trying.

Let me know what you think or anything i should add or change. Not much more that really can be added .It has everythinglol.

You should hear news in the next week or two of where it will be sold and preorder information . Hoping to have them ready to ship by early jan the latest . Christmas time would be nice.

12/19/14 update
Nucleus PDB diagram and 3d rendering:

Last edited by WadzofQuadz; Dec 28, 2014 at 10:22 PM.
Dec 19, 2014, 04:44 AM
Thread OP
Board is almost ready to go out for production. I just received a Kvminimosd in the mail today to see if i can implement it for direct plug in to the pdb like i said i would. Its looking a bit difficult so far.

What pins do you want on the pdb if it were direct plug in. I can see maybe putting in a female pin header just for stuff like the 5v ,gnd ,vid in ,vid out and maybe main battery . That would plug the minim directly into the board but you would have to install your pin headers a little different on the minim. Some pins would be on bottom of minim and other pins on top that wouldnt plug into pdb but you could connect servo leads to.

Whats your thoughts on implementing it?

As of now it may not be direct plug in but all pins needed from the PDB are already broken out on board so all you would need to do is solder or plug leads into the pdb to go to the minim and gives more options of where you want to mount it.
Dec 19, 2014, 04:56 AM
Dude, is there any info about an estimated price?

Cheerz,
B

#########

sbscrbd...
Dec 19, 2014, 04:59 AM
Team Crash
Looks great!
Dec 19, 2014, 05:03 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulesz
Dude, is there any info about an estimated price?

Cheerz,
B

#########

sbscrbd...
no worries about price . it will be the same or cheaper then any other zmr pdb
Dec 19, 2014, 05:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WadzofQuadz
NOOICE thanks for the info.
Dec 19, 2014, 05:06 AM
Quote:
Board is almost ready to go out for production. I just received a Kvminimosd in the mail today to see if i can implement it for direct plug in to the pdb like i said i would. Its looking a bit difficult so far.

What pins do you want on the pdb if it were direct plug in. I can see maybe putting in a female pin header just for stuff like the 5v ,gnd ,vid in ,vid out and maybe main battery . That would plug the minim directly into the board but you would have to install your pin headers a little different on the minim. Some pins would be on bottom of minim and other pins on top that wouldnt plug into pdb but you could connect servo leads to.

As of now it may not be direct plug in but all pins needed from the PDB are already broken out on board so all you would need to do is solder or plug leads into the pdb to go to the minim and gives more options of where you want to mount it.
For the Minim, only 5V needs! so at the analogue side I connect the VID in / out + GND and the other side: 5V, GND, TX, RX.
Dec 19, 2014, 05:26 AM
Full-Blown RC Junkie
BAD-

SUB'D!
Last edited by Snowboard_Nut; Dec 19, 2014 at 05:45 AM.
Dec 19, 2014, 05:43 AM
Full-Blown RC Junkie
Quote:

YES! MinimOSD! Dude, there are a ton more people using MinimOSD than EzOSD, maybe not in your direct area, but overall no doubt. You'll be famous world-wide for this On the KV Team Mod Minim the essentials are +5, GND, TX, RX on the digital side, and on the analog side video "in" and "out" obviously, but for those who really have experience with this OSD they will tell you that a secondary ground (in addition to the one present on the digital side I just mentioned) is very much needed on the analog side as well to run directly to the FPV cam's negative connection. ANY ground deviation at all from the CCD's analog processing chip to the Minim's ground reference will result in flickering overlay text. Now some may say "Oh wait, a ground loop...!" NO! Not a ground loop, a secondary ground path in this case. No high current will fight for this ground return so no ground loop to be concerned about with this wiring scheme. It's 4:40am here, but as I try to focus on the pretty CAD drawings, do the VBatt and Buzz pins not line up exactly with the Naze's pads? Insomnia double-vision is kickin' my

EDIT: Oh wait, looks like there are no buzzer pads, so I'm guessing this is assuming a lot of people will want a wired lead on their buzzer for the ones running an onboard mag.... Sounds good to me....

Quote:
I'll take 10 of 'em! Got a tracking number for me yet?
Last edited by Snowboard_Nut; Dec 19, 2014 at 06:09 AM.
Dec 19, 2014, 05:47 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
For the Minim, only 5V needs! so at the analogue side I connect the VID in / out + GND and the other side: 5V, GND, TX, RX.
On the minim the cam vid and vtx vid must be split correct ? So basically the vid in and vid out on the minim has no continuity between pads?didnt get a chance to sit down with it yet.

Edit : nvm just checked it and yes they are not linked so what i did shown on the pdb is put a solder jumper. Sj not connected if using minim .
The e-osd is in parallel , minim in series basically
Last edited by WadzofQuadz; Dec 19, 2014 at 05:53 AM.
Dec 19, 2014, 05:54 AM
Full-Blown RC Junkie
Quote:
So basically the vid in and vid out on the minim has no continuity between pads?
Correct, no continuity. The overlay injection happens using a typical Bit Blasting technique, rather than Bridging/Piggy Backing the analog signal. Bit Blasting has to flow the proper direction through the analog chip.
Dec 19, 2014, 05:59 AM
Full-Blown RC Junkie
Quote:
It's important to mention that the ground on the "analogue" side must run directly to the FPV cam for a very balanced ground deviation between Minim and FPV Cam. The other ground next to the +5v can tie in at the 5v regulator or wherever.
Dec 19, 2014, 06:04 AM
Full-Blown RC Junkie
Quote:
The e-osd is in parallel , minim in series basically
Once again proving the superior tech level of the Minim using bit blasting instead of mere bridging/piggybacking like some others out there .... But hey, it's not like I'm supporting the Minim or anything eh?
Dec 19, 2014, 06:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboard_Nut
It's important to mention that the ground on the "analogue" side must run directly to the FPV cam for a very balanced ground deviation between Minim and FPV Cam. The other ground next to the +5v can tie in at the 5v regulator or wherever.
Dude, in my case the Surveillance FPV cam: 5V and GND to UBEC and the video in to the OSD...or should I connect the cam GND to the OSD gnd? I'm confused and cannot double check at the moment, my Gordian knot is on the way...

Quick Reply