Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Dec 17, 2014, 08:48 AM
Happy Flying
Discussion

Fly Model Thunderbird Build

Here is a build of a Fly Model 30cc Thunderbird. Right now Fly Model is having a sale on all the newest line of aircraft so I thought I would pick one up and show you what you get for your money. I currently own Fly Model products and stand behind their quality. Fly Model prices get you in the "Big Ones" without breaking the bank. With the ongoing sale you can't go wrong. Pick one up at www.rcjetsworld.com Tell them Marshall sent ya.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0#post30221210
to remove ads between posts
Dec 17, 2014, 12:12 PM
Addiction Defined
I built and sold the 50cc version of this exact plane. For the price it's fine. It's the plane you don't worry about trying new stuff with. If you purchase the advertised price you get metal landing gear, wing tube . it will not come with a spinner. If you pay the extra for carbon fiber upgrades the price comes in around the same as the goldwing models. Now having several Goldwing planes I'll say that they are much better built. The Fly models good base price, good 3D trainer. You won't feel the pressure of crashing a $650.00 airframe
Dec 17, 2014, 01:17 PM
Happy Flying

fly model

True that the older versions have aluminum tubes. The newest versions come with carbon. You still need a spinner but for the cost you can't go wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx_ata2d
I built and sold the 50cc version of this exact plane. For the price it's fine. It's the plane you don't worry about trying new stuff with. If you purchase the advertised price you get metal landing gear, wing tube . it will not come with a spinner. If you pay the extra for carbon fiber upgrades the price comes in around the same as the goldwing models. Now having several Goldwing planes I'll say that they are much better built. The Fly models good base price, good 3D trainer. You won't feel the pressure of crashing a $650.00 airframe
Dec 17, 2014, 02:04 PM

Pilot? What Pilot? You call that a Pilot???

They can keep their 'pilot' as all it does it add to the cost (and not much at that)
Dec 17, 2014, 03:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailskid2
They can keep their 'pilot' as all it does it add to the cost (and not much at that)
Ha, I agree. I dont know why they even bother sending that. For my 50cc Slick, I got like a 1.5" WWII pilot.
Dec 17, 2014, 03:34 PM
Happy Flying

glue

for gluing on the horizontal stabilizer I applied epoxy to both top and bottom sides of the fuselage then I slid the stabilizer into the hole and wipe the excess glue with epoxy. I then came back and with my finger used epoxy on all the seams and then cleaned with alcohol. I hope this helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by arik434
Ha, I agree. I dont know why they even bother sending that. For my 50cc Slick, I got like a 1.5" WWII pilot.
Dec 17, 2014, 07:27 PM
Sponsored by my Wife

covering

I would like to verify what brand of covering is used on these models
Dec 17, 2014, 08:02 PM
Happy Flying
Not sure what the brand is but I can tell you that it is a low temp film. Not Oracover or Ultracote.
Dec 17, 2014, 08:15 PM
Sponsored by my Wife

covering

probably hard to match if repairs were needed
Dec 18, 2014, 01:43 AM
rcjetsworld
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEanes
probably hard to match if repairs were needed
We carry the covering of different colors for repair. It is $15 per roll (2x6.4m) including shipping. Just contact me at www.rcjetsworld.com or send message here to order.
Dec 18, 2014, 02:04 PM
Glad to see the rep is here to answer our questions! Thanks for taking the time.

Jerry
Dec 19, 2014, 03:09 AM
I have 3 of there models. I am vary happy with all of them. When I bought the pitts m12 it got messed up in shipping. I sent an email and they took care of the problem rite away. I've only been doing this for 2 years but I think these are vary nice models espically for the price. Good luck with flying!!!!
Apr 29, 2015, 05:42 PM
Old thread, but where did you guys balance you Raven at? The balance point on the build CD seems pretty far forward at 4 1/8" from the leading edge... Thanks
Apr 29, 2015, 06:17 PM
Happy Flying
[QUOTE=joeycoates;31485953]Old thread, but where did you guys balance you Raven at? The balance point on the build CD seems pretty far forward at 4 1/8" from the leading edge... Thanks[/QUOT

I would start out where the cd tells you then adjust to your flying style. As for me I started with 4 1/2" back from the leading edge dry weight. I flew it in a 45 degree up line and rolled it inverted. With hands off the plane should curve back toward earth very slowly. If it continues the angle or climbs then you are tail heavy. If it rapidly falls off the up line then your too nose heavy.
Again everyone is different. Always better to be on the nose heavy side vs tail heavy.
Last edited by mdtang; Apr 29, 2015 at 06:55 PM.
Apr 29, 2015, 11:05 PM
[QUOTE=mdtang;31486229]
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeycoates
Old thread, but where did you guys balance you Raven at? The balance point on the build CD seems pretty far forward at 4 1/8" from the leading edge... Thanks[/QUOT

I would start out where the cd tells you then adjust to your flying style. As for me I started with 4 1/2" back from the leading edge dry weight. I flew it in a 45 degree up line and rolled it inverted. With hands off the plane should curve back toward earth very slowly. If it continues the angle or climbs then you are tail heavy. If it rapidly falls off the up line then your too nose heavy.
Again everyone is different. Always better to be on the nose heavy side vs tail heavy.
Thank you sir, I am sitting at about 5" back right now but I have plenty of room to move the batteries forward so it should not be an issue.

As a side note do you by chance know what your dry weight was for the airplane? I am at 11.5 lbs but that includes a smoke system. If I feel that it flys heavy I will remove it and save about 6oz, but I would like to try it with the smoke as that is always fun.