Dec 14, 2014, 07:06 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Use Gorilla tape to remove what's leftover after pealing off iron-on covering.

I can't believe how well this worked.

So I decided to remove the heat shrink covering off my Utter Chaos 40 and was able to peal clear sheets of the shrinkable mylar off leaving most of the yellow color stuck to the fuse.

In the past I used lacquer thinner and acetone to remove what is leftover but it stains the balsa the color that your trying to remove. I also tried a soy based paint remover I purchased from Rockler Wood Working for another project and it worked ok but is very messy and also can stain the balsa not to mention the possibility of warping the wood when washing off with water.

Any way I got thinking that the color or heat activated glue used to be stuck to the mylar so maybe I could use tape to lift off the color.

So I tried several different tapes I had laying around like masking tape and clear box tape. The box tape actually did work ok after I used my heat shrink iron set at about 200 degrees.

Seeing that I was making some progress I decided to go to Home Depot to get some duct tape to try. While there I saw that the makers of Gorilla Glue now where selling Gorilla tape and ask the paint department guy if he had a roll opened behind the counter and if he did could I get a 4 in strip of it to test out. He indeed had an opened roll and gave me a strip.

I took it home and tried it on my Chaos and immediately went back and bought a roll.See pics below of the results.

It easily removed the bulk of the leftover color glue or whatever is leftover. Although it didn't remove all of the color, plenty of bare wood was exposed for any new covering or coating to adhere too.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 14, 2014, 08:38 AM
You convinced me. I've used the packing tape with the same results as you, but this seems to take it to the next level. Good tip.
Edwin
Dec 14, 2014, 05:08 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Edwin.

The minute I saw the results from the gorilla tape I just had to post about it.

Happy to share it.

Bryan
Dec 14, 2014, 08:22 PM
Play that funky music right
Did you use heat with the gorilla tape?

Ken
Dec 14, 2014, 08:37 PM
Thread OP
Ken,

Not at first. No heat was applied when I was applying it and taking pictures above. I just rubbed it down with my fingers. I later applied the Gorilla tape to an area where the G-tape left the color glue and tried heating it with my covering iron but it worked about as good as applying the box tape and heating it. Maybe I should have let the G-tape cool off before pealing it off. Maybe it would have worked better if I let it cool down. Will have to experiment when I get back to removing the rest of the color glue.

It seemed to me that the G-tapes surface would melt if I left the iron on it too long so I didn't go any hotter than 200 degrees. The box tape on the other hand seemed to be able to tolerate the heat from the iron better.

Bryan
Dec 14, 2014, 08:40 PM
Play that funky music right
Thanks Bryan. I'll wait for your update.

Ken
Dec 15, 2014, 06:07 PM
Space Coast USA
Super tip...thanks

I'm 99% confident that letting the tape cool after heating will work better than "hot" tape.
Last edited by hoppy; Dec 15, 2014 at 09:35 PM.
Dec 15, 2014, 06:18 PM
Thanks for sharing this GREAT idea!

Quick Reply