Dec 09, 2014, 05:32 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Axial Yeti Kit - ESC, Motor, and Servo

Looking to purchase the Axial Yeti Kit when released. I would like to install Hobby Wing ESC and Motor, to keep cost down. What esc and motor is recommended? Also whats a affordable servo, that has good performance?

Thanks
to remove ads between posts
Dec 09, 2014, 06:25 PM
Hobbywing SC8 ESC. Designed for 8th scales, waterproof, programmable.

The motor however is a tough choice. A 550 can motor will barely fit with some trimming and that's what I would run, but KV choice is up to you. I vastly prefer to run a low KV system on 3 or even 4s in a heavy vehicle like the Yeti. Something around 2500kv for a high voltage setup.

However if you are stuck with just 2s, something around 3200kv would be ok. Just make sure you are geared appropriately.
Dec 09, 2014, 08:06 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Jimmy. Do you think a sensor-less would be ok, or should I go Sensored ?
Dec 10, 2014, 03:47 PM
That is really dependent on how you want to run it. If you are just bashing, sensorless is fine. That's what the stock motor is. However if you have any desire to crawl (even though it's not really a crawler) or use this as a trail truck, I would go sensored even though it it more difficult to waterproof.

Having it sensored greatly improves how smoothly the power can be applied at slow speeds. And even helps the feel coming out of medium speed corners in my experience.
Dec 10, 2014, 04:47 PM
Thread OP
I am considering sensored. Now I am looking at Tekin and the Pro Hd4. I think end of day that might be the better choice, since there's more support out there. What Kv do you recommend for the Yeti? I think 3s would be plenty, or can it handle more voltage then that?

I am thinking about going with this esc and motor on 3s

http://www.asiatees.com/display?bran...100998&c=brand
Last edited by ICEMAN092613; Dec 10, 2014 at 09:30 PM.
Dec 11, 2014, 02:51 PM
I have no experience with that Hobbywing combo you linked so I can't really comment on that. I have only run the SC8 esc. And as I said before I am biased to high voltage/low KV systems so that's what I would recommend. However many many more people run on just 2s and have plenty of fun. For the Yeti I would run somewhere around 2500kv on 3s sensored.

If you can't find a motor you like though, you can go up to about 3500kv and run on 2s. I would not go to a higher kv than that. You can't really go wrong with Tekin, but you will have to pay a lot up front for that quality. I also believe the lowest KV they have in a 550 can motor is 3700. That would be only for 2s running, I would NOT put 3s on that motor and even on 2s I think it would be a little ill suited for a heavy rig like the Yeti.
Dec 11, 2014, 04:36 PM
Thread OP
Thanks again for the info, much appreciated. Thing thats interesting they are running 3150KV on the RTR with 3s, I wonder why they didn't use the lower kv motor?
Dec 11, 2014, 08:24 PM
It's probably seen as a compromise motor. Enough to have decent speed on 2s that most people run, but no too much that it would overheat instantly when run on 3s.
Dec 11, 2014, 09:32 PM
Thread OP
Well after looking on Hobbywing, this looks like a good combo, the http://www.falconsekido.com/products/xrm4068sd Its the 2250 kv to, that should run nice on 3s, plus sensored to. Also what is a good servo , that wont break the bank for the yeti kit?
Dec 12, 2014, 04:39 PM
Sadly that is an 1/8th scale motor and it will not fit the Yeti without MAJOR modification. You need one that is 36mm in diameter and no more than 56mm long. The one you have linked is 40mm X 68mm. I'll do some digging for you and see if a low KV sensored brushless 550 motor exists still....I know I have seen them before but they have been rare.

As far as a cheap servo the Solar Servo D772 is good. Not great but good. It is NOT waterproof.
Dec 12, 2014, 04:56 PM
Thread OP
Thanks. There's a couple guys on youtube, RCnetwork and Squirrlod that are using Tekin Pro 4 hd, it measures 62.6 mm, comes in 3S - 3000kV / 2500kV / 1850kV. Maybe I go with Hobbywing sensored esc and Tekin pro 4 for the motor.
Dec 12, 2014, 05:16 PM
Ok...I found a Sensored 540 that is the correct size and KV for a good price.
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...or_2590KV.html

Before you go out and buy it though I want to caution you on a few things so this won't come back to bite me.
This motor is not rated for 3s. It might burn out under that voltage. However I have known a few people that have run them on 3s for 2 years and have not had a problem. This is a do at your own risk thing though. There are more expensive crawler motors that are rated for 3s use but they are almost 3 times the price. Basically this one is cheap enough that if it burns out under 3s you are not out that much $$ and I think its worth the trade off.

Sensored motors are hard to waterproof. This one is sensored, it is not waterproof from the factory...and even if you shoe goo the sensor port, water MIGHT get into the hall sensor and mess things up. If you need full on waterproof, sensorless is the only way to go. I don't crawl in a lot of water so this isn't a problem for me, but it might be a deal breaker for you.

Watch your temps Running this motor on 3s can overheat it depending on gearing. Get a temp gun and check the motor temps frequently on the first few runs. Gear down if it overheats. This shouldn't be a problem but if you are really hammering the throttle, it's something to watch out for.

Check out RCCrawler.com. There are plenty more options for motor and servo for the Yeti that I haven't brought up. The above combo is what I would run based on how I drive and my experience. It might not work for you and how you drive. These are only my opinions, not facts by any means. Ask others, see what they say and form your own conclusions.

But most importantly Have Fun!

Quick Reply