This thread is privately moderated by rdwoebke, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Dec 08, 2014, 08:50 PM
the kitty litter of rcgroups
Thread OP
Mini-HowTo

Supergee wing mount pylons

Some pictures of my wing mount
Latest blog entry: Supergee wing mount pylons
to remove ads between posts
Nov 13, 2016, 01:19 PM
How do the wings actually bolt into the pylons
Nov 13, 2016, 01:33 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ321
How do the wings actually bolt into the pylons
You create threads inside the pylons for the bolts to thread into by taking metal screws, waxing them,mixing up thickened epoxy, then inserting epoxy and screws into the pylons and then after epoxy cures them backing out the metal screws.

Ryan
Oct 19, 2020, 12:53 PM
399' and holding
Ryan - bringing back an old thread - Do the vertical pylons go all the way through the boom? What size carbon tube did you use for the pylons? It also looks like you reinforced the boom prior to installing the pylon. Is that just a couple of wraps of carbon?
I have 2 Snipe wings that I am thinking of using for F5K that use the same mounting method. Just trying to get my design sorted.
Oct 19, 2020, 01:25 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by plane_tech
Ryan - bringing back an old thread
It is a real blast from the past. Glad somebody has found this useful.

Quote:
Do the vertical pylons go all the way through the boom?

They do. You use a jig and a drill press to drill the holes. A jig like this:

https://www.harborfreight.com/self-c...jig-92046.html

Note if you are using a tapered boom you will want to shim one end of the jig or the pylons will be on a slant of the angle that is the taper of the boom. That might not be a bad thing, just something to keep in mind.

The vertical pylons are glued at the bottom hole and the top hole. If you want a little extra surface area you could have the pylons stick out the bottom of the boom just a little bit. What I had done was let them stick out a little, glue them in, and then try to sand them flush with the bottom of the boom.

Quote:
What size carbon tube did you use for the pylons?.
I think the pylon tube is 3/16th inch carbon tube. Be careful with that because some of the carbon uni directional tubes can crack or split for this application.

Quote:
It also looks like you reinforced the boom prior to installing the pylon. Is that just a couple of wraps of carbon?
You need to reinforce the boom where you drill the holes else that will be a weak point. I used carbon sleeves. Works really well.

https://store.acpsales.com/products/...raided-sleeves

I guess you could just do a few wraps of carbon uni too.

Best of luck on your F5J project!

Ryan
Oct 20, 2020, 12:26 AM
399' and holding
Thanks Ryan. Very helpful. One of several winter build plans....

Quick Reply