VAS Airblade CP Antenna

Left-hand circular polarized antenna

VAS Airblade CP Antenna

Fly with your friends on the same frequency band!

Alex at VAS isn't one to rest on his laurels; striving for a better antenna design is what keeps him going. And when I saw his post about a prototype antenna consisting of five biSquare antennas, I think we all knew it wouldn't be long until it hit the e-shelves. The Airblade is one of the more unique looking circular-polarized omni-directional antennas to be produced, consisting of sharply bent lobes that lack the curves associated with the iconic cloverleaf and skew planar wheel designs. More important is that it's a left-hand circular polarized (LHCP) antenna, meaning it doesn't accept RHCP signals very well. Alex states that if someone was flying on 1.3GHz at 500mW with a RHCP antenna, the LHCP antenna would only receive about 30mW of signal... a drastic reduction.

CLICK HERE for more info on the Airblade LHCP antenna from VAS

Alex states that this design minimizes ground reflections that commonly effect omni antennas. During the testing phase, he was able to put vehicles, trees, hills, ect between him and his test aircraft without losing signal.

Airblade LHCP antenna overview revised (3 min 21 sec)

Dec 08, 2014, 04:04 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
Like!
Dec 09, 2014, 05:45 PM
cuz real planes cost too much
so, the only way to "fly with your friends on the same freq band" is if they are using a RHCP antenna and you are using the only LHCP?
Dec 09, 2014, 06:00 PM
www.gunnphotoservices.com
Thread OP
Not necessarily. Let's say you're on 1280 and I'm on 1258. If we both have rhcp antennas we can both fly together but there is some interference between us, especially if one of us has a higher output vtx. The lhcp antenna reduces the interference a lot more.
Latest blog entry: www.gunnphotoservices.com
Dec 10, 2014, 12:18 PM
thx matt. that helps. ...
another question then: can we fly at the same freq (channel) if we are using opposite antennas?
Dec 10, 2014, 12:27 PM
www.gunnphotoservices.com
Thread OP
I don't have one so I cant say for sure but I would guess it wouldn't be a very stellar signal...
Ill contact Alex and see if he can respond in here.

Thanks,
Matt
Latest blog entry: www.gunnphotoservices.com
Dec 10, 2014, 01:52 PM
btw, i just watched alex's videos on the current FAA SUAS and model airplane controversy...excellent. VERY helpful in ascertaining an educated understanding and point of view.

Quick Reply