This thread is privately moderated by guamflyer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Dec 08, 2014, 07:47 AM
guamflyer - Avid Sloper
Thread OP
Discussion

slope jets " the Jesty class"

flying all kinds of stuff seems to run full circle at some point I guess....been developing this size/class of slopers for some years now.. Maui was big winds and fast planes..they didnt have to land well cause sometimes there was only pieces left on the slope..and besides .., no one left Unscaffed... since returning to guam, the slopes are difrent but still flyable.. atleast I got seaclifs...I'm pretty much the only sloper on island ...more to say but I'll get back to that.....

All I know for certain is that I can not stop thinking about and building airplanes..Its all there is oftentimes to save and maintain sanity...

Please see comments....
Last edited by guamflyer; Nov 13, 2015 at 05:13 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 12, 2015, 09:07 AM
guamflyer - Avid Sloper
Thread OP

The S7055 airfoil

Slope soaring these days , seems even more urgent..lol..
but really, that foil on small slopers seems really neglected or bypassed when faster foils are avaliable..i understand that comepletely. but consider this.... it's too light for the heavy sloper, and you want to fly a jet..either you throw out something so light it hovers around....i only like doing that when thermal flying... or throw that heavy sloper in desperation to fly.." did that ".
I like flying jets alot. so i tried a couple foils in light lift... the S7055 kicked-ass... beat the S3021 , and I love the 3021.. but in good to blustery winds, the 3021 outperforms...naturally..
The Jesty Class Jet has evolved only in the use of different foils to suit the slope thats lightly winded... which most of us fly...
which brings me to the jets I fly these days..i've tried the different incidence settings and 1/2 degree positive seems too work all around and can push the 7055 into 15-20 winds with small amounts of additional ballast. mostly 1 ounce..the average weight of my slope jets is in the 10 -12 ounce wt. I also have 1/8 inch washout for super tight landing spots.. at 1/12 scale, one jet was 36 inch ws but got cut down to 27 inch..that one is really aerobatic..
the 7055 is flat bottomed but thinner than a typical clark y.. i got vids on youtube clearly showing performance features of the planes doing a variety of flying..
now again , I can easily throw out a 2-meter or three meter but jets just seem so cool.. I like all kinds of birds. after many years of slope soaring, fitting a plane /foil to particular slope gives better performance expectations... i also like to bring my planes home so landing is'nt a big problem with the 7055.....more to follow
Last edited by guamflyer; Nov 13, 2015 at 04:53 AM.
Nov 13, 2015, 05:08 AM
guamflyer - Avid Sloper
Thread OP

A thought on Slopes

I guess after flying many different slopes/airplanes , i've come to realize the Truth... I really do need an airplane tailor fit to the slope i fly, but mostly in relation to light/medium lift... Geez..in big winds it'll be the RG-15s/Quebecks/MH/PW and the list goes on..
The 7055 lifts well in light lift even with small wingspans. another characteristic , of many i found. Is the ability to gain altitude quickly then zoom around like I'm flying bigger lift.
That is just so cool. I got my heavy birds but the wind is'nt always blowin in the 30's and up.. mostly 10 - 18's..
If you're the guy who likes to fly hard and fast and needs the Slope Fix like Me.
you gots to check out the 7055.... for light lift ...............

SLOPE FAST - SOAR DEEP

guamflyer
Dec 07, 2015, 09:22 AM
guamflyer - Avid Sloper
Thread OP
I continue my research as always...something i've noticed with the incidence set at zero..when pulling a hard pylon type turn , the plane will pick up fast out of bottom turn ..in light lift.. I can climb and turn on a dime at the same time with 7055.. kinda interesting as I mostly experience that in Big Winds...hmmm
Dec 07, 2015, 09:34 AM
guamflyer - Avid Sloper
Thread OP

The Storm Petrel

should have this one flying by this weekend... S7055 - 36 in - 1 deg pos - 1/16 wo.. auw to be determined but most likely 10 oz..

5 inch root chord...should be interesting...
Dec 08, 2015, 07:30 AM
guamflyer - Avid Sloper
Thread OP
build materials is of the common handy balsa stock..wings are sheeted with 1/32 sheet glued on with gorilla glue and put under weight..the cores are cut from L.E. to T.E. then the ailerons are cut out..there is carbon glued to sheeting ..that stiff thin dave brown carbon.. fuse is 1/8 balsa and the tails are like the 1/25 thickness.. i did sheet the L-39 with 1/16 cause it was handy..I'm a scratch builder so keeping stock balsa is a priority..lol..or sickness...lol..the canopies are custom for jets..got a couple of plugs i use..somewhat generic to suit most jets..servos are the hitec 55 or similar..any smaller and it doesn't throw fast enough..i use the 1S 700mah or 1S 1200 lipo..did a few DLG's and those 1S lipos work man.. on the storm petrel, I was able to stuff a 700 mah AAA 4 cell and the C.G. is about on the money..I'd like to do a build log sometime but flying/building takes all the time..and work..and life...

wing incidence 1/2 degree pos , most often ..1/16 to 1/8 washout-its light lift man the elev is set at zero
Dec 08, 2015, 07:47 AM
guamflyer - Avid Sloper
Thread OP
cut down wings
Dec 30, 2015, 09:50 AM
guamflyer - Avid Sloper
Thread OP
I flew the Storm Petrel the past two weekends and have since cut another 5 inch root cores.. the petrel flew so well that the jets got lonely..it cruzes at a good clip.. got to fly in 20-25 with zero ballast.. plane weighs about 12 oz...even with the 36 inch wing...I had little problem penetrating 20 winds.gosh it landed so well that i was still surprised...I've got to get a build log going with plans...just need to redraw plans with all parts ..i use alot of templates to build ,,so i can easily build another...
Jun 01, 2016, 08:02 AM
guamflyer - Avid Sloper
Thread OP

Storm Petrel

after nearly two weeks of searching..i have to call off the search...even if it was only me..lol...
dang plane went down and i did not see it hit turf,,after extensive search on top side..it must have went into the valley..
cut 14 cores..got 4 sheeted..will post shortly..lol... Ahdicted....
Jun 01, 2016, 08:06 AM
guamflyer - Avid Sloper
Thread OP
next builds are:

fresh ...cessna 526 jpats 30in
an old friend,,, bd5 30in
caldron c-460 ...cause its cool lookin 46"
36 inch rg-15 standard type v-tail sloper..another old friend
Aug 05, 2016, 09:05 AM
guamflyer - Avid Sloper
Thread OP
been sorta busy but wings sheeted and plans sorted out.. I did cut an RG 15 core at 50inch..still tryin to decide which way to go on that one..

A seasoned rc pilot but new to sloping has joined me on the slopes these days..its been 10 years since anyone has actually come to slope..it's just been me..LOL.. My friend got a couple of EPO birds "motorgliders" for that bit of safety..the hobby has come a long way.. I remember the time when you either sloped or hiked to recover planes. I still prefer pure sailplanes as the skillset required to stay aloft without a motor is always practiced. But motorgliders are cool when theres zero lift/wind.
My friend is addicted now..the fever has set in and theres no cure for him..lol..
it gets to a point where flight duration is more of a priority it seems..

15 minute flights aren't enough anymore . 30 min to an hour is more prefered.
Rodney picked up the 3 meter flyfly fox, pretty sailplane I must admit.His personal best is now 90 minutes..Thats what sloping is all about fer me.
I'm such a scratch builder that its hard to pull the trigger on a purchase as i could build one, but it would probally be a vintage bird anyways.
I built a Veron Prefect MK1 at 36 inch WS..came out at 3 oz, but theres too much wind for it that its rarely flown. It's the red one below
I'll post a pic for giggles.
being on an island ,much winds pass thru
Last edited by guamflyer; Aug 05, 2016 at 09:23 AM.
Aug 05, 2016, 09:22 AM
guamflyer - Avid Sloper
Thread OP
some pics..I've been taking a long look at the Cicogna flyingwing motorglider
Aug 05, 2016, 09:31 AM
guamflyer - Avid Sloper
Thread OP

Rohnsperber

I had built the stand off scale from plans 15 years ago in maui. It was all red but didn't thermal much..sloped well though. only had rudder and elevator on that build..I plan to go full house functions..original from plans was 99 inch.
Last edited by guamflyer; Aug 05, 2016 at 09:45 AM.
Aug 05, 2016, 09:42 AM
guamflyer - Avid Sloper
Thread OP
I have some rough terrain so a stand-off scale project would be ok take a beating..
also this is a Mike Hollison design..hope i spelled that right.

Quick Reply