LeVier Cosmic Wind - RC Groups
Dec 07, 2014, 01:59 PM
FICKLE FLYER
Discussion

LeVier Cosmic Wind

I'm getting ready to start a Cosmic wind build so I thought I would post up some drawings I have, and hope others will post what they have.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 15, 2014, 02:55 PM
I got some interesting photos of Ballerina, as it appeared in British registry some years back. PM if interested. Would be cool to get them posted here.

Paul Plecan did a CL scale model and plan for Air Trail's, IIRC. This design was later kitted by Berkeley. John Underwood felt Plecan's effort was quite accurate, supplying me with a copy for further scale drawing work!! I believe Plecan probably based his model on the last drawing you posted, above.

Good looking aircraft! And... I like that particular drawing (attached files: Cosmic Wind)
Sep 18, 2016, 01:32 PM
Cosmic Wind "Ballerina" in Great Britain. Don't know where A/C is now. I've got a date somewhere, but...? photo via M. Salo

Cosmic Wind "Little Toni", 1956 Whiteman Airpark, Pacoima, CA.
photo via J. Underwood.

Goodyear races held at San Jose's Reid Hill View Airport, 1950-51(?).
Found a negative I believe showing my older brother sitting on N20C's wheel and tire. Now, just have to find somebody to make a print!

IIRC, there is a third Cosmic wind, that had a shoulder mounted wing.
Sep 18, 2016, 02:48 PM
Cosmic Wind "Ballerina" is still in UK, rebuilt after its 1966 crash, and frequently appears at air shows, there. I think the next one is:
http://www.shuttleworth.org/events/raceday/

Google finds many recent photos. Here's a few: http://www.airport-data.com/photogra...d:48116:1.html
Last edited by perttime; Sep 18, 2016 at 02:54 PM.
Sep 19, 2016, 01:13 AM
Don't forget one of these planes (N36C) was converted to mid-wind configuration in the '50s.
Sep 19, 2016, 02:55 PM
Thanks for link, pertime!
Can't get over how much the ship looks like a model, in the color shots. I particularly like the way the light shows the point to point skinning. Drawings typically show compound curves where none exist. To be sure there are compound curves in the cowl, wheel pants and and fillets, but the basic fuselage is rather simple compilation of simple shapes.

Thanks too, Steve_P
I've been to Planes of Fame several times and never noticed that midwing Cosmic wind display. Is it real or a mock up? BTW- "my/our" (Dawn Patrol Aviation) Gee Bee R-1 mock up is just out of frame to rt of Deperudussin on floats, behind the Shoestring display.http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ed=0CDgQ9QEwAg
Last edited by packardpursuit; Sep 19, 2016 at 03:09 PM.
Sep 19, 2016, 11:55 PM
The information I have is that N36C was originally raced by Herman "Fish" Salmon as #4 Minnow (N22C) in 1948, and it was a real Cosmic Wind. A discussion of its history is at: http://www.aafo.com/hangartalk/showt...smic-Wind-N22C
Aug 25, 2017, 02:24 AM
Hi Chaps,
Here is my Cosmic Wind "Ballerina" , built to quarter scale in 1982...............I still have the model in a flyable, but scruffy, condition today.
It has survived many house moves over the years.
Aug 25, 2017, 08:04 AM
Is that your model in the taxi shot? I seldom swoon over photo captions that claim it look just like the real thing, but that "looks pretty convincing" to me...... Hey....

Boy, you can sure see/appreciate the hard edges of the contour changes at front and rear of cockpit, in that photo
Last edited by packardpursuit; Aug 25, 2017 at 08:10 AM.
Yesterday, 11:49 AM
Got to wondering about Cosmic Wind airfoils and noticed the various drawings are at odds with photos of tip airfoil. Anyone got the 'gen' on that?