This thread is privately moderated by bill_delong, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Dec 05, 2014, 11:58 AM
Did I make the A Main?
Thread OP
Mini-HowTo

How to make window masks

I recently bought some bodies from DeltaPlastikUSA and they didn't come with any window masks. While working on the first body, I figured that I'd share with you guys on how I like to make window masks which I actually find to work better for me than what most bodies ship with on the market. With blue masking tape I don't have problems with the masking stretching on me and it's less likely to shrivel up or stick back onto itself which are common issues I've experienced with the cheap quality window masks that typically ship with most brands of bodies:

How To Make Window Masks for R/C Cars (0 min 45 sec)

Check out more stuff on My Bookmarks page!
Last edited by bill_delong; Jan 25, 2019 at 04:20 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 06, 2015, 01:29 PM

Window Masks

Probably a stupid question, but you know what they say. Your window mask video is very good. I am confused a little. Are you doing the masks from the inside or out? It appears to be from the outside, but that doesn't make sense to me because of the reversing. What am I missing? And I apologize for being old and slow!!

Greg
MACHMAN
Feb 06, 2015, 03:17 PM
Did I make the A Main?
Thread OP
you want to trace the outline from the outside, then place them on the inside (opposite) window when applying, the front rear windows should be reversible, nothing special there when applying. Be careful not to cut the masks on the body, there is clear protective film that shouldn't be removed.
Feb 07, 2015, 12:09 AM

Window masks

Thanks Bill, Makes sense. I have used that masking tape before to cover inside of body area I don't want painted and had problems with it coming loose with paint on it. Am I doing something wrong? Will the edges want to peel off the windows?

Thanks,

Greg
Feb 07, 2015, 08:31 AM
Did I make the A Main?
Thread OP
I prefer 3M Blue better than any cheap window mask that comes with most cars. Maybe can try Frog tape?

I use dish soap and scrub the inside of the body clean just like I'm cleaning dishes, then I wear surgical gloves to prevent any oils from my skin to contaminate the surface. I get a perfect bond every time.

If you paint too thick then that can cause bleeds too... always spray 4-5 very thin coats of paint so it can't run on you. Use your backer coat in silver, white or black to make the final finish "pop"
Oct 24, 2017, 09:43 AM
Thank you for sharing!

Quick Reply