Dec 04, 2014, 05:50 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Build Log

F2A-3 Brewster Buffalo at 57.5" ws

I built a foam Buff from Fiddler's Green paper plans when I lived in Wyoming and was pleasantly surprised at how well it flew. It wound up to be my go to plane when the wind was blowing( and that would be ALL the time in Wyoming).
Then a couple of years ago I built another at 48" ws, just a quick semi-profile model and it flew great too for hundreds of flights. It now has a home with a good friend of mine and I decided I still need a Buffalo.
So I am building a 1:7.5 scale model and plan on much more scale and better detail on this one. I used the colorful pre-war scheme on the other two but have always wanted one in a wartime scheme. Well, as far as the US, there is only one scheme since they were pulled from the front lines after Midway and regulated to advanced trainer duties.
So I will be doing the Buff of Marine Capt. William Humberd, MF-15, of VMF-221. He shot down a B5N2 Kate and dove away from pursuing Zeros where he shot down a Zero during a head-on pass. He received the Navy Cross for his actions at Midway.
I'm fairly well along on the airframe and will start posting pics in the morning.
Trying to keep it light weight so that it can be hand launched ( if you have an assistant) but will make provisions for the bungee if needed.
Meanwhile, here are pics of the first two and the proposed color paint scheme of this one.

J
to remove ads between posts
Dec 04, 2014, 06:04 PM
Way to go John. I just subbed.
Dec 04, 2014, 06:09 PM
Dont forget the velcro straps
man, look at that young buck!!!

I love the new scheme!!! cant wait to see progress
Dec 04, 2014, 06:30 PM
I'm in!

al
Dec 04, 2014, 06:33 PM
They call me Lipo...
SUBBED !!!!

I'm with Nut.....look at the youngster holding the Buffalo in the red shirt !

Can't wait to see this one come together.....
Dec 04, 2014, 06:37 PM
Oh no, not again!
+1. Funny how the years sneak up on us, innit? Looking forward to the build. John. Gonna tackle those Gawd-awful retracts now that you have come to love them so much? :-)

Jeff
Dec 04, 2014, 06:48 PM
Pro Hoarder
Super cool John..cant wait to see this one..Will it be one of your positive Plug/Mold or other type of build? Inquiring minds want to know..
Scott
Latest blog entry: In flight
Dec 04, 2014, 08:30 PM
Retired and Lovin' it!
Looking right over your shoulder John.

Tony
Dec 04, 2014, 08:32 PM
Still Screamin'!
Nice John!
Dec 04, 2014, 10:19 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Thanks guys.
With all the trouble retracts are, there is no way I would tackle gear on this one.
Jerry Bates has a 1:5 scale Buff that I would like to build but I don't see any good commercial gear laying around for sale.:roll eyes:
So no gear.
And it will be one of my favorite type fuses. Solid foam, hollowed out, and then skinned with 1/16" balsa. Makes a very light and strong fuse. I have that done, pics tomorrow when I get back to the shop computer.
Also sheeted wing cores and everything glassed with epoxy and 3/4 oz cloth.
I used the scale airfoil too, I've had really good luck with scale airfoils before so why not. Used Wylam 3 views and I think they are the best I have seen.
Really would like to come in about 50oz or so but not sure I can balance it at that weight.
Trying my best to keep everything in the rear as light as possible.
As far as the youngster holding the Buffalo, I really can't tell that I have even aged and that was only taken about 10 years ago or so.......:roll eyes:

OK, another interesting fact about the Buffalo. This model is the -3. The -1 and -2 actually were pretty advanced and nimble fighters. Pappy Boyington really like the models before the -3. He said you could turn them around in a phone booth. That was before the -3 where they added more fuel, cockpit armor, self-sealing tanks, and add'l guns and ammo. Really slowed it down and especially in the climb.
Anyway, it's going to be a fun build and that's what it's all about.

J
Dec 04, 2014, 11:19 PM
John, I thought of you when I watched this with your amazing speed. Has incredible time lapse build sequences and kind of similar to your technique. Don't mean to get off topic but thought it was too interesting not to share. Good luck with the Brewster.

Tom

Build an F-104 Starfighter in 20 minutes:

http://www.modelairplanenews.com/blo...%20Snow%20Skis
Dec 05, 2014, 02:08 AM
Got new oil for the popcorn machine .... Ready... Take it away JM!!!!
Dec 05, 2014, 08:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossaer
I'm in!

al
Me too! I'd love to build one myself but I would not be able to keep up with John!
Dec 05, 2014, 08:35 AM
RC Fanatic
im in...
Dec 05, 2014, 08:51 AM
Subbed! I want to see this one go together too!

Joe

Quick Reply