Dec 04, 2014, 03:18 PM
Thread OP
Mini-Review

WLtoys V393, aka the V262 brushless (under construction)

INTRODUCTION

Few months ago, WLtoys introduced his first brushless quadcopter, the V303 mainly based on a third party flying controler board. Here, WLtoys is announcing the so desired V262 version in brushless edition, i.e. the V393. This time, the design is coming more directly from the WLtoys's work. The V393 is even larger than the V262/V333/V666, occupying a 72cm square surface, so 20cm more larger than previous models.

Four different versions will be probably presented later

BOX CONTENT

+ 1 x WLtoys V393 (with a 3S 2700Ah LiPo ending with XT60 connector)
+ 1 x Transmitter, WLtoys Deluxe chassis (using 4xAA batteries not included)
+ 1 x Power adaptor
+ 1 x Lipo charger (working for 2S and 3S lipo)
+ 4 x Spare props (2 CW, 2 CCW)

Huge box even larger than the V666 box. With my V393, the instruction manual was not included but probably you will find it in the final release.

OVERVIEW

Ground clearance below the battery bay is approximatively equal to 85mm.

Probably a compact 2D gimbal for möbius could be installed. Maybe a small mod to extend rubber feet size would be a nice option.

With the battery installed, the total V393 is close to 862g, so much more heavier than a classic V262

Whitout the battery, weight drops to 676g

In the rear canopy part, a LED is indicating the different status of the quadcopter. Three différents colors can shown. For example, the gree color is indicating that everyting is normal

The canopy standalone is around 112g

Without the bodyguard, the V393 is showing its impressive 12mm carbon boons

Main body

The LiPo is installed in long battery bay

A metal tube is clipsing each motor's pod.

Each arm's extremity is jaling the ESC

Each carbon boon is now 12mm large (compared to 5mm for the V262), so extremely solid to absorbe major crashes.

Each foot is scaling is 20g

LiPo

Propellers

Some 9047 props are installed

Notice than there is enough space to install some 10 inches props especially if the bodyguard is removed

Motors

Motors are 950KV directly branded by WLtoys,

Prop locks are self-tighting, so no risk to loose a prop in mid-flight.

Motors are directly screwed on the plastic part of the motor mount, without any washer.

With 862g, I hope that cracks won't appear in the plastic

Shaft is 7mm large

ESC

No BEC are present in ESC so the FC board must be directly powered via a voltage regulator. No specific caracteristics can be guessed from these ESC at least their rating and the max peak/burst amperage supported.

Main lead wires (red and black). One of the two remaining smaller wires is probably the PMW "signal" wire

Flight controler board

We will find here the classic ingredient of the V262 series, a MCU mini54zan, a MPU invensense 6050c (3 axis + 3 axis stabilization) and a nRF24L01 compatible Beken 2423 RF chip. For the headless function, a L883 is added as compass. The protocol implemented is the "V2x2" one, so compatible with most of WLtoys's transmitters as well as in DeviationTX.
For each arms, two main lead wires (red and black or red and white) are going to each ESC as well as the signal (PWM) wire.

Notice, there is a SWD port as well as a serial port so it would be possible to install Bradwii (the multiwii version for mini54zan). In this case, the radio protocol can be changed to extend range (see https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2278850)

As for most FC boards from WLtoys, the "LG" compagny is behind the engeneering part.

A foam is isolating the MPU6050C and compass from motor's vibrations

Transmitter

The classic deluxe transmitter chassis is used. This one can be turned into mode 1,2,3,4 so a good point and is offering good precisions in controls. The left shoulder button is selectioning between 4 speed modes (40%,60%,80% and 100%) while the right should button is turning on/off the headless mode

4 x AA batteries are required

The calibration procedure is the same as for all V2x2 compatible quadcopters, i.e. in 100% mode, push both sticks in lower left position.

Here with the V393, a double security is present. First, you need to confirm the binding by pushing the throttle up then down (a beep is emitted) then you need to arm motors by pushing left stick to bottom left and right stick to bottom right. Motors will stop to spin if sticks are not actionated during 10s. Since, I didn't receive the instruction manual, I don't know if the V393 can perform some flipping. The other buttons on the front panel are associated with the camera for photo or video activations.

FIRST USAGE

After arming the motors, when you are slightly touching throttle you can feel immediatly a lot of power even with its 862g... The brushless motorization associated with 950KV+9047 props are bringing a lot of trust. The V393 is just great to fly.... hyper stable at 40 and 60% and really touchy and sporty from 80% and 100%. I really liked to fly with no problem. The LEDS are allowing night flying, they are very bright. The rear flashing LED is indicating the status of the V393. Green for normal up to red when LVC alarm is reached. The flying duration with the 2700mAh is also excellent, close to 10min. The headless function is working well in courselock mode so more adapted for long range flight and you can't see the exact orientation of the V393 (despite the rear LED) and engaging this headless mode in a panic moment. No doubt, the V393 can carry a gopro camera and I think the payload capacity is around 200-250g without sacrifying a lot of flying duration. So probably, a tiny 2D gimbal for möbius can be installed beneath. I didn't observed any dropout in a range of 50m and the range limit is announced to be 130m. I will investigate later this point because, if you plan to use the V393 as a FPV plateform, one need to extend this control range at least to 200-300m. Of course, the classic antenna mods can be applied (installing a RP-SMA connector + a higher gain antenna).

WLtoys V393 first outdoors test (Courtesy Banggood) (7 min 48 sec)

CONCLUSIONS

Well .... is the V393 a very good flyer ? .... for sure no problem for that... it's extremely powerful, stable and very fast over the 80% mode... and can carry any gopro as well as a light gimbal setup. Flying durations are also good. Thanks to the bodyguard, the V393 can absorbe most type of crashes (except the feet which probably be damaged in a direct contact). The main technical problem can be the range associated with the V2x2 protocol. Even if they improved the antenna location, the range is limited to 130m... which is a little bit short to enjoy fully FPV. At least 300m, would have been better. Probably it could be achieved but by modding the V393 (not out of the box). My second concern is associated with the position of the V393. The V393 is a large model but without any flight assistance features such as barometer or GPS (for RTH) and almost as expensive as a V303 or a CX-20 for example. It's hard to justify such price except if you are a WLtoys addict or want a large size model very robust to crashes.

UNBOXING

WLtoys V393, aka "V262 Brushless" Unboxing (Courtesy Banggood) (18 min 51 sec)

PROS

+ Very powerfull plateform thanks to 950FV and 9047 props
+ Sporty from 80% mode
+ More than 10min of flying duration
+ Simple design and clean design working out of the box
+ Headless mode (course lock)
+ Compatible with last WLtoys products: camera mount, HD camera and FPV kit
+ LVC LEDs alarm
+ "V2x2" protocol
+ Probably bradwii compatible

CONS

- No altitude hold on function (no barometer)
- No GPS and associated RTH function
- Expensive (partially due to the shipping fees associated with the large box)

This quadcopter have been courtesy provided by Banggood in order to make a fair and not biased review. I would like to thanks them for this attitude.
You can find it actually for 233 USD at
http://www.banggood.com/V262-Upgraded-WLtoys-V393-2_4G-6Axis-Brushless-RC-Qaudcopter-RTF-p-953495.html
Last edited by SeByDocKy; Dec 05, 2014 at 02:55 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 04, 2014, 03:19 PM
Thread OP
Reserved for photos, videos and mods
Dec 04, 2014, 08:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeByDocKy
My second concern is associated with the position of the V393. The V393 is a large model but without any flight assistance features such as barometer or GPS (for RTH) and almost as expensive as a V303 or a CX-20 for example. It's hard to justify such price except if you are a WLtoys addict or want a large size model very robust to crashes.
I am also thinking the same thing.
You read my mind.
In addition 72cm is a huge size for fpv especially if you want to enjoy some tricky maneuvers among trees.
190e + the money for a gopro - gimbal combo is a large amount of money to risk in a quad with so limited range and with no electonic failsafe features such as rth.
So its practical not so usefull (I m trying to say it kindly) for both applications fpving or filming.
And 850+ grams its way to much to fly for fun with confidence in a park without the fear of injuring someone...
I was hoping for something smarter from wltoys.
Something which can cover multiple needs in an affordable price range.
Instead of that they just made a very nice brushless quadcopter and they dressed it with a silly cover to make it similar aisthetically with the v262 which was undoubtedly a huge success for them.
Last edited by yiannis_1; Dec 04, 2014 at 09:04 PM.
Dec 04, 2014, 10:14 PM
I still can't think of any questions lol.

Yes it competes pricewise with other fpv platform's but lacks RTH and GPS. I think I'd still buy it but for more sport flying.

Pity about the yaw rate.....
Dec 05, 2014, 12:07 AM
Vids: YouTube.com/FyreSG
I did a short 4-minute unboxing video of the huge brushless quadcopter. I won't be surprised if the shipping cost takes up a large chunk of the total price!

Unboxing the *NEW* WLtoys V393 Brushless Quadcopter (3 min 54 sec)

When the weather gets better, I'll take it outside for a spin.
Dec 05, 2014, 12:19 AM
I think they will need to find a way to make postage cheaper and then I think this could be a good seller
Dec 05, 2014, 02:13 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod69
I still can't think of any questions lol.

Yes it competes pricewise with other fpv platform's but lacks RTH and GPS. I think I'd still buy it but for more sport flying.

Pity about the yaw rate.....
Well the yaw is not catastrophic at all, just not very fast .... in high speed, you can perform large turns. Personally, I was positively surprized by its flight caracteristics...

But concerning the absence of GPS and all moderns features included now in the same level of price... what I can say..... (but need of course to be confirmed... so take my words in "high incertitude" mode), there is a serial port ..... so if you install bradwii, you can add probably a GPS on this serial port and recompile bradwii with RTH features. I would like to find a second serial port somewhere too
Dec 06, 2014, 10:21 PM

My initial impressions

I recorded some onboard videos with my Mobius as I tested my V393 in terms of is different rates, stability, yaw and top speed.

Testing the *NEW* WLtoys V393 Brushless Quadcopter with Mobius onboard (9 min 24 sec)

I need to find a way to make the "head" of my V393 more prominent. As I did high speed circuits, I often became disoriented because I couldn't tell which way it was facing. From far, the black protection foam bumper thing made V393 appear as a "black ring" that has no front or back. The ring blocked the colored props. It was too bright for me to observe the colored lights underneath each motor. The only way I could tell its orientation was by observing its landing gear. That was tough!

I was slightly disappointed by its top speed. At full throttle and pitching forward 45 degrees, my V393 did not go as fast as my CX-20. I suppose the speed limitation was caused by the large protection foam.

I shall remove it the protection foam next to see if it improves orientation and top speed.

I also need to find a way to mount my Mobius with vibration isolating balls to get rid of the jello. Prior to the test flight, I balanced the props on a prop balancer.

All in all, V393 is a nice, fun, stable quadrotor.
Dec 08, 2014, 01:08 PM
Thanks for review
SeByDocKy & FyreSG

I follow both
Dec 16, 2014, 06:38 PM
Still not sure if to get one of these . I really like the v262. Once I took the foam off and replaced with a hoten x canopy my v262 can move pretty fast for a brushed motor quad and defiantly fun to throw about . Probably my favorite quad . So maybe I would like one of these . Surely more powerful and faster but at nearly 3 times the price is it really worth it ! !
Dec 16, 2014, 06:45 PM
I'm not sure of the alternatives but I believe building something similar from individual components should cost less than a V393.

As a non-beginner, I will not think it is worth the money to get the V393. If you factor in the price of individual components, you will realize the thing should only cost a fraction of its selling price; you'll be paying significant $$$ to ship the huge foam thing, which you may not need.

If you just want something big, fly right out-of-the box, and don't mind the cost, then yes, V393 will be a good choice.
Dec 22, 2014, 09:45 AM
To bad its not offered as kit with all goodies minus ring. Take arms off and smaller box. This would apeal to some who assembly is no problem. Foam ring is excess anyway.
Jan 31, 2015, 03:29 AM
After reading the horrors of v303's I elected to get this one... I LOVE IT As to range, I was observed above 700 feet, and got pictures to prove it. One site I frequent posted 500 meters range. Thought I'd loose the '4-hole cock-ring' right away but yanno, the quad goes so far/high that the additional silhouette is welcomed.
Jan 31, 2015, 03:47 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTopofTheWorld
After reading the horrors of v303's I elected to get this one... I LOVE IT As to range, I was observed above 700 feet, and got pictures to prove it. One site I frequent posted 500 meters range. Thought I'd loose the '4-hole cock-ring' right away but yanno, the quad goes so far/high that the additional silhouette is welcomed.
Great news ... Please feel free to post here any videos, mods, etc
Feb 05, 2015, 01:05 AM
Should Know Better But Doesn't
Quote:
Originally Posted by FyreSG
I'm not sure of the alternatives but I believe building something similar from individual components should cost less than a V393.
DEFINITELY!

This looks like overpriced junk, IMHO.

Typical cheap WLToys quality (what's with the badly soldered battery lead? I've had that fray on the V212, short out, and ruin the Rx board) with a suspect radio implementation (too many drop-out stories with other WLToys machines), a woefully pathetic range, and no additional "useful" features (GPS, etc) that people expect nowadays.

Also i'm not too sure about mounting the ESCs right where the motors are...cooling would be a bit compromised, especially if you're pushing the machine around.

CX-20 is still a better option for those who want an RTF (or beginners starting off on their first "big" quad).

But you could still put together a 450-sized machine for cheaper...even HK do an SK450 that's ARTF (just needs battery) for around $180USD.

I've been put off WLToys since my V636 (erratic flying behaviour) - they need to step up their game methinks otherwise they'll be left in the dust.

But, good review as always, Seb!

Quick Reply