Feb 17, 2015, 03:03 AM
The Aero Scout
Guys, I have a couple of questions I'm hoping someone can chime in on;

1 - Is it possible to mount the FC to the underside of the top plate? Can you get 90 degree pins to make it so that the FC is thinner? I'm hoping to be able to fit a larger battery (1800-2200) on the bottom plate but pushed forward of the FC.

2 - The arms on this unit can come off, has anyone created arms with a 'twist' for forward sloping motors?

Cheers.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 17, 2015, 03:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpurdue View Post
Run a couple of small zip ties thru the cushions of the mount. Leave them loose tho. That should keep you from loosing it in a crash. And then one bigger zip tie around the camera and top plate of the mount. I got mine from Massive.

http://www.massiverc.com/PrestaShop/...era-mount.html
I had a look and Massive have not had any in stock for a while. any place else we can get them camera mounts?
Feb 17, 2015, 03:10 AM
when changing the rx to your own gear is it straight forward in the swap & does the stock radio gear have any strange mixing that has to be carried over to the new radio gear?
Feb 17, 2015, 03:35 AM
If it flys it can die!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonWallis View Post
Guys, I have a couple of questions I'm hoping someone can chime in on;

1 - Is it possible to mount the FC to the underside of the top plate? Can you get 90 degree pins to make it so that the FC is thinner? I'm hoping to be able to fit a larger battery (1800-2200) on the bottom plate but pushed forward of the FC.

2 - The arms on this unit can come off, has anyone created arms with a 'twist' for forward sloping motors?

Cheers.
They make a version with the pins on the side. The unit needs to be in the center to have the best readings. You could mount it to the top plate but not upside down. Nobody makes "twisted" arms but there are about 20 pics and links in this thread as well as multiple threads on 10* motor mounts. Massive RC sells them as well as a few others. The thread was even directly under this thread when you posted. Here is the link: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...2313853&page=2
If you want a larger battery just mount it on the top. Saves all kinds of problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkey View Post
I had a look and Massive have not had any in stock for a while. any place else we can get them camera mounts?
Yeah I had seen that too. Helipal sells them as well and they been so good to me and the price is good so I will just order from them. Besides, i hve a Spektrum neck strap and need a Storm one.
Quote:
when changing the rx to your own gear is it straight forward in the swap & does the stock radio gear have any strange mixing that has to be carried over to the new radio gear?
There is no special mixing in the radio.
Feb 17, 2015, 03:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by and444 View Post
I lost confidence in the Devo transmitter after I lost the tip of the antenna on the receiver.
Can't blame the TX in this case, you are running on one antenna, the exposed 'tip' is the antenna, the rest of the wire plays no part in receiving your signal.
Feb 17, 2015, 04:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaserSVT View Post
They make a version with the pins on the side. The unit needs to be in the center to have the best readings. You could mount it to the top plate but not upside down. Nobody makes "twisted" arms but there are about 20 pics and links in this thread as well as multiple threads on 10* motor mounts. Massive RC sells them as well as a few others. The thread was even directly under this thread when you posted. Here is the link: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...2313853&page=2
If you want a larger battery just mount it on the top. Saves all kinds of problems.

Yeah I had seen that too. Helipal sells them as well and they been so good to me and the price is good so I will just order from them. Besides, i hve a Spektrum neck strap and need a Storm one.

There is no special mixing in the radio.
Thanks LaserSVT I will have a look a Helipal's web site
Feb 17, 2015, 04:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telrin View Post
Can't blame the TX in this case, you are running on one antenna, the exposed 'tip' is the antenna, the rest of the wire plays no part in receiving your signal.
Very true, however some people here have had reliability issues and glitches with the stock radio gear in any case, in my case, even after unwrapping the antennas from the carbon arms and going V-shaped.

So just in case you are still set on getting another radio, and444, I'm super happy with my FrSky Taranis. Range is great, price is a fraction of the big-brand radios and it has built-in telemetry so you can have the transmitter read out the receiver signal strength to you while you fly, i.e. you will know the signal is getting weak before you fall out of the sky. Best investment for FPV I've made, hands down. Rx is same size as stock and no special mixing happens in the Tx, so no problem swapping it out.
Feb 17, 2015, 04:09 AM
When setting up the 3 position switch on my own gear does open pilot sort all that out, apart from me assigning what switch to use.
Feb 17, 2015, 04:12 AM
Quote:
When setting up the 3 position switch on my own gear does open pilot sort all that out, apart from me assigning what switch to use.
Yes, go through the Transmitter setup wizard in OpenPilot GCS and it will ask you to wiggle your flight mode switch eventually to calibrate it all
Feb 17, 2015, 04:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by helihoshi View Post
Yes, go through the Transmitter setup wizard in OpenPilot GCS and it will ask you to wiggle your flight mode switch eventually to calibrate it all
Thanks for the help helihoshi
Feb 17, 2015, 04:48 AM
Hey guys. I just ordered the new frame: http://www.helipal.com/storm-racing-...tning-250.html

I will record a youtube review, anything you want to know about it?
This is my channel btw: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPe...G_kaAhVkxT9t7Q

Juan
Feb 17, 2015, 09:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjonline View Post
What rechargable batteries are you guys using in the Devo 7? I got some regular ole regargable AAs and they didnt work. I tried some NiCad for solar and lost control mid-flight. What works? Thanks
Eneloops by Panasonic work great! A single charge lasts weeks.
Feb 17, 2015, 09:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by and444 View Post
I lost confidence in the Devo transmitter after I lost the tip of the antenna on the receiver. With every little hiccup of the drone (that happen when it is like 200 yards away or so) I worry that it is going to fall from the sky. Helipal told me the hiccups are simply wind. I am thinking about getting a new receiver or maybe a combo. Do you, guys, have any advice on an affordable transmitter /receiver combo with a good range? Is it difficult to switch out?
Can you just use some wire strippers to expose some wire on the tip that got chopped off?
Feb 17, 2015, 09:27 AM
KU JayHawk '87
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkThug View Post
Can you just use some wire strippers to expose some wire on the tip that got chopped off?
It is coax, not just insulated wire. This video might explain better and, if you want to try to repair it, it offers some pretty good suggestions.

2 4 GHZ antenna repair (7 min 43 sec)
Feb 17, 2015, 10:11 AM
Anyone else eyeballing this? Looks like an awesome option for a PDB on this bird.https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2342983

Quick Reply