Super G, from HobbyKing - Page 5 - RC Groups
May 28, 2015, 04:10 PM
Looks and sounds great jock, but as you say there seems to be some vibration (off the main rotors ?), and do you think it's possible to loop and roll one of these?
to remove ads between posts
May 28, 2015, 05:24 PM
I Used To Have More Free Time!
Can you use the pre rotator motor to help shorten the landing? Or is it only for takeoff?
May 28, 2015, 06:56 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
Not actually even for take-off....just to help get the rotor up to speed. An Autogyro is not a helicopter and has no means to counteract torque, so, it needs to be shut off after reaching proper rotor speed...

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
May 28, 2015, 07:33 PM
Indoor Free Flight Modeler
Ran into my first issues. I spent last night getting the blades to equal weight as one was 49.7 grams and the lightest one was 46.9 grams plus the foam on the blades is not pushed in all the way so there is a gap on the top of the rotor blades. So I used tape to span the gap and to also add weight. So today I put my receiver in and mounted the rotor blades on so I could run them up for balance. I turned on the prerotor and it powered up and I started to hear clicking I powered it down then tracking the noise down I see the prerotor uses a spring shaft. Well it is all twisted hitting inside the fuselage. I started to disassemble and finally got the damn thing out. Here is photo showing how it looks. I am a little irritated right now.
May 28, 2015, 07:40 PM
crashing build's character.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don
Ran into my first issues. I spent last night getting the blades to equal weight as one was 49.7 grams and the lightest one was 46.9 grams plus the foam on the blades is not pushed in all the way so there is a gap on the top of the rotor blades. So I used tape to span the gap and to also add weight. So today I put my receiver in and mounted the rotor blades on so I could run them up for balance. I turned on the prerotor and it powered up and I started to hear clicking I powered it down then tracking the noise down I see the prerotor uses a spring shaft. Well it is all twisted hitting inside the fuselage. I started to disassemble and finally got the damn thing out. Here is photo showing how it looks. I am a little irritated right now.
I have had the same thing happened to my g2 autogyro and there is nothing you can do I ended up having to buy a new one and you can not buy just the shaft.and it pissed me off too I have not even got it in the air and it came unstrung!!!
May 28, 2015, 08:28 PM
call technical support
May 28, 2015, 08:30 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
HobbyKing has technical support????

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
May 28, 2015, 09:02 PM
Here is how I fixed it. I cut away the messed up portion. Then I sweat soldered what was left of the outer coil to the upper section. Then did the same for the lower section as that is the only way to get the set screws to grab the lower end of the spring shaft, it needs to be the larger diameter to fit into the collar. Now from what I see this "shaft" is made up of a multistrand cable down the middle then it is wound with wire in one direction then would over top of that with a wire in the opposite direction. The outer wrap and inner wrap are only held together by friction from the winding process. The set screws in the collars on the top and bottom basically only bite into the outer wrap. The outer wrap is wound in the direction that will open up the coils as it spins. So if for example you held the rotor head from spinning then started the prerotor motor, the rotation direction of the motor will try to open the coils up and make them loose on the rest of the shaft. If the direction of the wind was the opposite, then any differential twist when starting up would try to tighten the outer coils and squeeze down on the inner layers so the shaft layers stay together. My guess is that the set screws were not tightened down on the ends enough to squeeze the outer wrap tightly enough to the inner wrap so when it started up the outer wrap spun around the inner wrap and expanded and wrapped around itself much like a telephone cord that gets twisted in the opposite direction.

In any case it seems to be working just fine now after the repair. Some things I do want to mention, the prerotor motor ESC does have a soft start built into it so you can put on a switch not a slider or knob. I have it on my spring loaded trainer switch and that works out well. It is always off and just hold it to get it running the release. The four screws on each side of the rotor head (see photo) really need some CA glue squirted into them. They unscrew very easily and I am afraid they can vibrate out over time. The servos on the head are metal gear, I saw the metal output gear when I took the servo arms off to do the repair work.

The time spent getting the bladed to similar weights and balance point resulted in a pretty well balanced rotor assembly when I ran it up. I only needed a few pieces of packing tape on one blade to finish off the balancing. When running at full prerotor speed I barely feel anything. Might mess with it a little more as I ran out of daylight.

So right now I am feelign better. My rage has gone. Hulk smash no more
Last edited by The Don; May 28, 2015 at 09:26 PM.
May 28, 2015, 09:24 PM
xxx
Last edited by NCRealEstateGuy; May 29, 2015 at 05:53 AM.
May 28, 2015, 09:28 PM
My head in the clouds!
Nice fix Don! Does anyone have a direct comparison to the G-2? Is it worth the extra money? It sure looks cool!
May 28, 2015, 09:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRealEstateGuy
Don, do you know what caused your shaft to break?
I added more to my post above.
May 28, 2015, 09:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRealEstateGuy
Don, do you know what caused your shaft to break?
I noticed the shaft on my G2 does not like rapid power up, too much mass there to spin up quickly. So I added soft-start to that channel on the tx so it ramps up over 10s. Seems far easier on the equipment now.
May 29, 2015, 05:13 PM
Finished mine. I was happy to find out that all 3 rotors of mine weighed exactly 49.0 grams. My prop did need balanced though.
My horizontal stabilizer was the same as the YouTubers plane... it sat naturally on the fuse at a bias to the right side... the right side wanted to ride high. (right side looking from the rear.) I elected to 5 min - epoxy this into place and just held it level until it dried. It dried level.
The side fins up front could be a neater fit for $200; the gaps are too big for my liking. Other than that it looks good. Maiden tomorrow or Sunday.
May 29, 2015, 07:09 PM
maidened mine today. it went well. higher disc loading than the G2. keep your airspeed up
Last edited by teryn1; May 29, 2015 at 08:03 PM.
May 29, 2015, 08:55 PM
With my 4 cell, 3300 Zippy compact, I am having to add over 4 oz of lead. With my 4 s 4500s, the CG is about right. What gives? What are you guys flying with?
I think it only calls for a 2750.