This thread is privately moderated by Up&Away, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Dec 02, 2014, 11:17 AM
The original Flying Pigs Sqd.
Thread OP
Build Log

RCRCM eTyphoon

My first glass slipper! Well technically, my second. My first new glass slipper then.
My first one was a very nice second hand Jaro Muller F5J glider, which I dorked on the second flight, because I thought the guy who soldered the BESC and ESC knew what he was doing. And because I ignored the fact that during pre-flight I had to plug and un-plug the battery a few times for the ESC to give the proper signal.
Water under the bridge.

A while ago I tried to compete in a friendly slope soar event. During a quick pre-race flight I landed my Speedo hard in the sand, and the fuse broke in two places. That left me with a 8 year old WeaselPro to compete. Suffice to say my times were not very good. Consistent, but not very good. The seed was sown. I now wanted a “proper” full house sloper. (The Speedo mishap was partly due to the lack of landing speed control with a 4Ch Rx)

Gliders were compared, prices were compared. And in the end I decided that, for me, the current best available and best price, was the Typhoon of RCRCM.

Two hangar queens were sold, plus the “leftovers” of the Jaro Muller glider, and I had enough funds in my hands to put an order in.

Two weeks later:

Can’t complain about the way they packed and boxed her.

Suit included.

Tadaaaaaaah

The included goodies

Servo frames and covers

Elevator rods and control horns

Clevises and motor mount. (I think the threaded rods are doubling as pushrods for the ailerons and flaps. Seems a bit iffy, but we’ll see)

Wings wiring

Elevator and rudder hollow carbon pushrods

I don’t know how consistant they lob of the nose, but the inside diameter here is just under 33mm. The carbon inlay causes a slight “bump”.

Nice thick carbon matting under the wings’ servo hatch

View of the root. You can just make out a hint of carbon inside the spar box.

View towards the LE. One balsa spar, just visible inside the servo hatch

View towards the TE. Another balsa spar, just visible inside the servo hatch

Current throws of flaps and ailerons. These can be increased with a bit of sanding, if needed.

Where do I glue the control horns? I’m sure I’ll find a way, but your ideas would be appreciated

All very nice. Really. Now the bits I have my doubts about:

On the seam, the gell coat seems to be chipped.

Tail servos hatch is not a good fit (never mind, I’ll tape it shut. But Still…)

The hatch over the bellcranck fits fine, but the hole for the full flying elevator is closed. (no problem I’ll drill it out)

The bellcrank itself is full of epoxy/wax residue

There are some tentative openings for the tail servos, but there’s no opening for the pushrods (yet)

But I’ve kept the best for last. This belongs in the “It may be nothing, but…” department
Inside the fuse (at least in the part we can see, we don’t know how it is further back) in some areas, there is air trapped under the fiberglass.
i.e. There is no firm bond here, and could be problematic in the future

On the whole, a very nice glider, for that price. And I am looking forward fitting her out, and flying her.

Oh yes, and last but not least. The bags that come with the Typhoon; the wings and elevator bags are a great fit. But the fuse bag is clearly meant for the glider version.
It is a very tight fit as is, and when a spinner and folding prop are attached, the fuse will not fit in the bag.
I patiently opend up the bottom seem and made a long strip of three strips of duct tape. Two face up, and one face down. The face down strip covered half of each face up strip. This I pressed on to the (now opened) underside of the bag, in effect enlarging the bag. Simple...
Last edited by Up&Away; Aug 17, 2015 at 01:06 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 27, 2017, 12:29 AM
Wow just saw this now, that thing looks great. Would love to see a flight vid and more pics, this looks like pro glider compared to the ARF bird of time.
Jun 27, 2017, 01:42 AM
The original Flying Pigs Sqd.
Thread OP
The two don't compare. The BoT is a good hearted, well behaved, gentle thermaler, that can be completed with not-top-of-the-line equipment. The Typhoon is a slippery bitch that bites if you're not careful, and needs top notch equipment...
Jun 27, 2017, 01:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Up&Away
The two don't compare. The BoT is a good hearted, well behaved, gentle thermaler, that can be completed with not-top-of-the-line equipment. The Typhoon is a slippery bitch that bites if you're not careful, and needs top notch equipment...
Anything can be compared.
Last edited by Shack1; Jun 27, 2017 at 02:03 AM.

Quick Reply