Dec 07, 2014, 02:40 PM
Hello George,

My name is Peet and mrBlobby and I know each other from Dutch Pylon racing. I have been racing E2K now for 4 years and it's lot's of fun. Currently I am experimenting with heli ESCs to use the governor mode to even out the obvious speed differences between different quality lipos and moto. Using a fixed max RPM and prop combi seems like a good solution. Thanks to mrBlobby lending me his socket programmer I managed to flash the ESC with the firmware you provided: thank you very much for the effort you put into this! I hooked it up to a controller power supply with amps limited to 1A. I hear sound when it's powered up, when I open the throttle I hear three consecutive times the same sound, but the motor isn't running. Amps meter on the power supplyshows 0 amps during the entire procedure.

Maybe it's good to post some pictures of the esc here:

Hope to hear from you soon, and again: thanks for putting effort into this.
By the way: our standard will be 10 pole motors, we already decided for that, so if you could modify it for 10 pole motors, that would be terrific.

Regards,
Peet
to remove ads between posts
Dec 07, 2014, 03:52 PM
Peet,

It won't be able to run a motor on just 1Amp. If the beeps sound correct it should be ok. Try a (smallish) 2S lipo if you have it for a first test-run.

When the controller is governing all the time, I would recommend adding a few extra capacitors. Should you not be inclined to do so, at least log the temperature of the caps during the first flights. Anything over 70C-isch would concern me.

Regards,
Gerben
Dec 08, 2014, 12:33 AM
Thread OP
Hi Peet, can you please check the markings on the power fets? They are hard to read from the picture. Are they all the same?
Dec 08, 2014, 02:46 AM
Hi Peet,
Great to hear from you. I am just back from Switzerland so well timed.
We are more than half way there. Software downloaded OK and connections correct.
There is a problem with the throttle.
The sequence is:
Apply power - hear a "song", you do, halfway there, software downloaded OK.
Fully CLOSE the throttle , hear the "arming" tone, three beeps. Only then is the controller ready to start the motor. This is a safety feature. You are hearing the three beeps when you open the throttle, fully open? This suggests that the throttle is what the ESC thinks is reversed. I have to reverse the throttle in my Futaba transmitter, a well known problem common to many ESCs. Three beeps, motor connections OK, output phases OK, three quarters the way there.

The three beeps are one on each phase indicating that all three phases are working. A common fault is a broken connection on one phase, don't launch. But it usually happens in flight due to vibration.

The operating range for this ESC is 1200us to 1800us. Previously my software required 1100us to arm, was nicer to test in the field but did cause throttle throw problems with some transmitters. Gerben, I am trying this for you because I think your "not full power and heating" problems were ESCs with the trim pulled back to arm then not getting full power, maybe running at 90% real throttle.

Peet, Gerben has a point, 1A is good initially to test the electronics but not enough to run the motor. If it beeps you should be seeing some current but very transitory and less than one amp. Can you raise the current limit to 5A?

I have figured out the problem with the throttle response of this software and seemingly that of the CC. I will post another version today I hope with an explanation.
Dec 08, 2014, 03:13 AM
There is another explanation for three beeps. Lost Pulse. But only after the motor has already started, and it is three beeps, a short pause, then three more beeps, continuously until the throttle is closed.
Not the case here I do not think.
Dec 08, 2014, 03:46 AM
Peet, if the motor turns OK but in the wrong direction, do not change the wiring, I can reverse it in software in the next version. Just test a bit the wrong way.
Dec 08, 2014, 06:30 AM
Cheers George
Dec 08, 2014, 06:31 AM
Thread OP
Hi George,

Glad to hear we are very close to getting a running motor!

Are you willing to share the source code with us once we have it running?
Dec 08, 2014, 12:36 PM
Hi George,
I have given it another go, but I don't get the motor running. Set the power supply to 12V/5A now. Also made absolutely sure that the throttle setting is correct: tested with the same components, but using a plush 80A esc and I get the motor running. Now I swap the plush esc for the YEP 80A. Again the same thing as in the previous test: I hear a sound when it's powered on and then nothing happens. When I push the throttle to the max I hear three times a sound (no 'beeps' though), and after that nothing happens. All through the test the amp meter stays at 0 A. I recorded the sounds generated during the test and uploaded it to dropbox and send you a private message with the link so you can hear what I hear when I power it up.
Hope this helps.

Regards,
Peet
Last edited by ragbak; Dec 08, 2014 at 12:41 PM. Reason: small mistake
Dec 08, 2014, 01:15 PM
Hi Peet,
Here is today's hex. It should work much better, explanations later.
Try it anyway. It may give the same problem but will be easier for me to check.
When you push the throttle forward and get the three beeps, what happens when you pull the throttle back? Anything? Careful, the motor might start.

I have not managed to hear the Dropbox yet.

Does the YEP 80 have a LED? That should give a long flash when powered up, then three short flashes when the throttle is in the closed position.

Try with the new hex. It should be OK.

Gerben, do you fancy helping by loading the latest into one of your YEP 150s?

After dinner I will do it on the one you sent me. Then I can send you the soft you used on the YGE in Austria to replace it.
Dec 08, 2014, 01:58 PM
Hi George,

I flashed with the latest hex file you provided. No change in behaviour. At power up I hear some sound and the LED on the esc is lit during the sound, then it goes off. When opening the throttle to the max I hear 3 consecutive sounds, each causes a LED flash. But nothing happens after that, not even when I close and open throttle again after that.
Listen to the sound file I uploaded, maybe that helps. The behaviour is exactly the same as with the previous firmware.

Regards,
Peet
Dec 08, 2014, 02:34 PM
Hi Peet,
Heard the sound. Really seems to me that the ESC thinks your throttle is inverted. Could you invert the throw. With simple transmitters it is a switch on the back, otherwise a menu.

The first thing we must do is to get to a situation when on power up you get the song followed by the three short beeps, light flashes.
If on inverting the throw nothing happens try moving the trim back to see if you can get the three beeps.

This new hex is for 10-pole motor, 15000 rpm.
Last edited by George Shering; Dec 08, 2014 at 02:40 PM.
Dec 08, 2014, 03:03 PM
Hi George,

Hmm, I tested the throttle setting thoroughly now. Inverted it and back again. Modified travel adjustment from 50%, to 75%, to 100%, to 125% and 150% and it all gives the same behaviour. I don't get three beeps at power up. Also played with the idle trim: nothing...
Also tested with a different RC transmitter and receiver (Spektrum), same behaviour.
Dec 08, 2014, 03:04 PM
I just downloaded the software to one of Gerben's YEP 150s. Works identically, just as I expected.
I can't think the YEP 80 is any different.
This is using a standard servo tester as input.
A servo tester is a very useful device for such tests.
Last edited by George Shering; Dec 08, 2014 at 03:14 PM.
Dec 08, 2014, 03:05 PM
Hi George,
Got the same thing as Peet. The initial melodie.
Controller only does the three arming tones at a high-pulse setting. I tried it with a servo-tester I also use for the HK200 controllers. The 150A controller only arms when close to what's full throttle for the HK200A. The motor does not run (I tried a 3s lipo and a little Mega inrunner).

Regards,
Gerben

Quick Reply