Dec 01, 2014, 03:43 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

micro FPV build successful - now considering 3D

Thanks for having all these interesting discussions, I learned a lot reading these forums.

So I just wanted to document my experience starting out in FPV, and maybe get comments or advice on my planned 3D FPV build (see below). I don't have much experience with model aviation, and a little with RC cars - but do have a lot of knowledge of software, hardware, radios and other tech stuff.

For my very first FPV quad I started small, with a Walkera Ladybird V2, adding the following:
* 280 mAh HeliRC 45C battery
* Polulu 12V step-up regulator (tiny!)
* Lumenier CP-520 Pico camera (3 grams)
* Skyzone TS5823 5.8G 200mW vtx
* articulated SMA antenna with some of the plastic removed

I also got a 7" Lumenier LCD FPV Monitor w/ diversity RX and DVR, which by the way seems like a great deal for an all-in-one ground station.

This setup sort of worked ... however the antenna was too top-heavy, the vtx took too much power, and the whole setup weighed too much. It was somewhat unstable with very short flight times (about 2 minutes). So I swapped out the Skyzone for an AltitudeRC Nano 25mW w/ wire antenna. The video signal isn't quite as solid, but it works and looks pretty good, and I can fly for over 3 minutes and remain stable. I got lots of spare parts, and I've needed them- but it's pretty tough, parts are cheap and I'm getting much better at flying it. It would probably fly better with a 1 gram camera, but the wide viewing angle on this one is great. Success!?

But now ... on to my real goal all along, which is to build a 3D immersive FPV drone with head-tracking gimbal. Initially I know I'm not going to be doing racing or fancy flying, I just want to be able to manually fly around open areas, or traverse a pre-programmed GPS route while looking around -- or letting someone else wear the goggles while I fly VLOS/autopilot. Hoping to get 10 minute or more flight times. I'd appreciate any feedback or comments on my proposed build:

* Lumenier QAV400 w/ carbon fiber landing gear
* Lumenier 30A ESCs + FX2216-9 motors
* Pixhawk w/ GPS
* EMR "3D Cam FPV"
* Fatshark pan/tilt/roll servo gimbal (3D camera is designed to fit this one)
* ImmersionRC 5.8Ghz 600mW vtx (later: upgrade to dual feed)
* Other: MinimOSD 1.1 , IBCrazy BluBeam whip, Graupner E-Props ...

And on the ground, 5.8Ghz receiver -> Transporter3D -> Oculus Rift DK1, with the Oculus head tracking output sent on 3 channels by PPM.

The EMR 3D camera can output field-sequential 3D using a single transmitter, which is what I'm planning to do at first. The quality will improve when I upgrade to dual transmitters (one for each eye); I guess I'd do one on 900Mhz and one on 1.2Ghz for best results. But also I'm curious if anyone has experience running dual 5.8Ghz transmitters on different channels for separate cameras, if I don't need to get through trees etc? Will there be too much interference between two 5.8G vtx's even if I pick channels as far away as possible?

Can I use the BEC in one of the ESCs to power the servos on the gimbal, or should I have a separate step-down circuit for that?

Any other comments?
to remove ads between posts
Dec 01, 2014, 10:39 PM
Live FPV or Die
I use two 900mhz Tx on differents channels for 3D, I got minor interference sometime, but overall it work well.
It make no diffrence if the two tx are mount on the same plane, or if you are two pilot using 5.8ghz on differents channels with differents planes. Kept some distance between both on your plane
But if someone pass behind you with his tx power on and your plane is far away, you could see the picture of his plane in your goggle.
I use the BEC of the receiver to power the two gimbal servo. Just to be sure that your BEC is at least 2A. On FPV plane, we do not move a lot the servos, so adding two others will not cause problem
Oct 20, 2019, 05:49 PM
i use 2 1.2ghz tx son my drone, get 8min fly time with 2200

Quick Reply