This thread is privately moderated by dmrcflyr2, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 30, 2014, 12:30 PM
Cat Man
Thread OP
Discussion

Clean and store for the Enya 46-4C

I have owned this engine for about 3 years now. I am pretty sure that I bought it here but I cannot find the deal. Maybe I got it from RCU, either way it was a used engine in excellent shape when I bought it. It has been on my Tower Uproar 40 for the last 2 years and logged about 15 flights. It has been nearly a year since it was run last so I thought I would take it off the airplane, clean it up, and prep it for storage. I am not flying anymore so it needs a good prep before storage.

I took the front housing off to see the bearings and crankshaft. The bearings still felt good and the crank shaft easily tapped out with a rubber mallet without heat. The front gasket is gone, deteriorated. When this gets to run again I will pop the front housing off again and seal with Permatex Motoseal gasket maker. Until then, I'll leave it.

The head and valves look like new still. I cleaned the inside with standard rubbing alcohol followed by being blown out with the air compressor. A nice coating of Marvel Mystery oil for the insides and bearings. Final assembly and turn the prop over. No compression... No problem. Even though I did not disassemble the rockers from the center piece, nor did I remove the timing housing, the valves still needed a bit of adjustment. It had compression when I removed it from the plane, but in the process of disassembly the timing changed a bit. Maybe the screw holding the rockers in place was not properly torqued. Each arm was a bit tight according to the .05mm feeler gage and once set properly the engine has the compression back and feels new again.

What a sweet running engine it is too. I just so happen to have a spare carb, needle, and intake manifold for it. This should be in the inventory for quite some time. The only challenge of late to to find adequate planes for this size engine. The Tower Uproar is a perfect sport fun fly platform, but something more scale would be nice.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply