SVSS Toy Fly Dec 6 - RC Groups
Nov 29, 2014, 10:35 PM
Team Hello Kitty
Discussion

SVSS Toy Fly Dec 6

Well it's that time again, time for the SVSS holiday season kickoff Annual Toy Fly which this year will be held on Saturday December 6th 10am at the Davis field. Come to the field with an unwrapped children's toy which will be given to the Marine Toys for Tots Foundation branch in Yolo County (link).

Usually this annual club event is hosted by club member Bruce Moore but he has to work so in Bruce's absence I'll be filling his Toy Fly shoes. After we pose for a club picture with all the toys we will then--weather permitting--either have a morning fun fly or an all-up last-down if enough want to do it. More toy details below.

The kind of toys to bring

Our Toys for Tots (TfT) representative is Steve Stout a retired Marine gentleman who took the time to explain what kind of toys they could use. There is no minimum dollar requirement for a donated toy but SVSS in the past has suggested a $20 minimum. I say bring what you can afford. The TfT program is meant for kids 3 to 16. Usually they get lots of toys for 8-12 year olds but often they run a bit short for the toddlers and teens. So it would be great if some of you can bring multiple smaller gifts or stocking stuffers for the toddlers and a few iPads for the teens (just kidding).

Food and goodies will be served

I'll bring hot coffee and hot chocolate. Bill Curry will provide piping hot pizza for lunch. Awesome, thanks Bill! The rest of you please feel free to bring pastries, holiday cookies, or whatever.

Hope to see everyone there.

Chris B.

P.S. If you want to donate a toy but you can't make this event please email or PM me and I'll arrange a pickup.
Last edited by SoaringDude; Dec 01, 2014 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Bill doing pizza
to remove ads between posts
Dec 06, 2014, 09:50 PM
Team Hello Kitty

2014 Toy Fly a Big Success

Another successful Toy Fly is in the books. While the picture only shows about 1/3 of those who stopped by to drop off a present, it does show the virtual wall of toys our club donated to Yolo County Toys for Tots this year (and yes, just like last year JT is flying his plane while posing for the pic--what a multitasking dude). This year we donated many more toys than last time which means we will be enabling even more families to have a wonderful Christmas this year. We had so many more presents this time that it took a bit of shoe-horning to get them all to fit into Steve Stout's vehicle (Steve is our TfT representative).

The day started with a bit of mist-like drizzle but by mid AM it had burned off and was apparent that the day was going to be good for flying. What we didn't realize as we started setting up the winch is that in fact it would turn into a GREAT day for flying: classical post-front conditions with scattered clouds at 2500 feet marking huge thermal zones. Temps were in the mid 60's with calm to light breezes. Many of us stayed and flew well into the afternoon. Honestly it felt for all the world like a mid Spring day.

Thanks to Bruce Moore for continuing to be our club's guiding Toy Fly light, Bill Curry for volunteering to handle our pizza order (it was awesome), new club member Chase for volunteering to pick it up and bring it back piping hot, and Aric Wilmunder for drinks and other lunch paraphenalia. Thanks also to Lou Fox for a nice assortment of three different coffee cakes, and to Neil and Joan Nolte for a box of tasty chocolate chip/M&M cookies.

See ya at the next Toy Fly in 2015.

Chris B.
Last edited by SoaringDude; Dec 08, 2014 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Neil & Joan brought the cookies!
Dec 07, 2014, 12:37 PM
E sailplane thermal hack
Had a GREAT time Chris. I'll be back for next year for sure