Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Nov 29, 2014, 11:03 AM
Thread OP
Video

ESS-One Engine Sound System Review

My first review video. Hope you like!
ESS-One Engine Sound System Unboxing and Quick Review (13 min 38 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Dec 17, 2014, 04:01 AM
what goes up, must come down..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theibault
My first review video. Hope you like!
http://youtu.be/SaiXI3Qtjxo
Nice review
Awesome sound module

Now you've had the sound module for a few weeks, could you give your honest opinion for this unit?
I'm very tempted to buy one but I've seen a few variations that have lost their appeal fairly quickly, would love to know what your current thoughts are, please?

Cheers!
Dec 19, 2014, 01:30 PM
Thread OP
My findings are that it's a fun little unit. Does it increase performance? LOL, no. It sounds pretty good and will fit most SC and scalers as well as some on road and drifters. The sounds are ok. Some of the engine sounds that you can download sound great and others sound like they were ripped from Gran Tourismo. I am enjoying it and if you are like me and like sound units (love my Tamiya sound units!) than it's certainly woth the $99. It does add to my excitement level when I run my cars with it. I would not hesitate to recommend it, just remember, it's for fun.
Dec 22, 2014, 06:46 PM
what goes up, must come down..
Thanks for your reply :-)
I've never bothered with a sound module, they all seemed to "electronically artificial", and the last Tamiya anything I owned was an Audi Quattro rc rally car, ironic the rc car was only 2wd but was a bunch of fun... back in the '80s lol
Seems this is about as close to scale-ish for a sound module, plug n play, and modifiable sounds... so... I bought one
Thanks again
Dec 23, 2014, 08:49 PM
Thread OP
Nice! I hope you enjoy it.
Mar 20, 2015, 11:58 AM
Nice Review BTW!

My opinion, is the price is a 'little' steep, considering you have to pay between $1 and $2 for some of the additional sound files. ABSURD IMHO!

Only 1 set of sounds can be installed at a time. There is no onboard memory or SD card to store numerous car sound files. WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?

It's unfortunately NOT mac compatible, which is a bummer IMHO (I don't like to use bootcamp to run windows).

The software could definitely be improved upon with clear english instructions throughout and not a mixture of both.

And last but not least, the volume could be a little louder to overcome the gear noise. (although probably plenty loud enough for slow crawlers etc.)

While the ESS-ONE is not a bad product by any means, IMHO it's a 'little' overpriced for what you get.

The new Gorilla Box (still to be released) is slated to have 3 x the output volume for around the same price, PLUS all sound files upgrades and changes are FREE.
http://www.gorillaboxrc.com/# .... "sounds like a better deal!" ... that's if you could make it fit, as it is a little bigger (due to larger speaker and amplifier) than the ESS-ONE.

Another car sound module option out there for the more budget conscious, is the one offered by Banggood. http://www.banggood.com/buy/RC-car-engine-sound.html
While it does lack some features like (no sound for reverse), it does come with 10 different preloaded and immediately accessible engine sounds (without the need of a PC) , braking sounds, start up and idle and comes with dual speakers and pretty loud at 90db and LESS than 1/2 the price of the ESS-ONE. The quality of the sounds is admittedly, not as good as the ESS-ONE, but then again it's 1/3 or the price.
Cheapest RC Car Engine Sound module (4 min 19 sec)

Tamiya and Traxxas also have sound modules, as well as a few other manufactureres.

As newer and better sound modules hit the market the ESS-ONE will soon become a less enticing novelty.
Last edited by stryker2; Apr 09, 2015 at 07:30 AM.
Mar 20, 2015, 06:55 PM
I watched the Bangood video with some hope but not one of the sounds interested me. I want the sound of the top fuel dragster that goes well with a monster truck, since that's what they sound like. I think it would go well with one of the monster truck builds I have planned, One is a stock clodbuster, and the other a custom grave digger based on a Redcat Ground Pounder with custom body, painted frame and clodbuster tires (still need a jolly roger flag!).
Mar 20, 2015, 10:52 PM
Thread OP
The Gorilla Box sounds promising. After I did the review video, the creator contacted me and gave me some details. Would love to get my hands on an early unit to test and review. I'm still really enjoying the ESS-ONE . I should have it in a video (running) sometime soon.
Mar 31, 2015, 10:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theibault
The Gorilla Box sounds promising. After I did the review video, the creator contacted me and gave me some details. Would love to get my hands on an early unit to test and review. I'm still really enjoying the ESS-ONE . I should have it in a video (running) sometime soon.
So would I
Apr 05, 2015, 09:48 AM
I tried pre ordering the Gorillabox yesterday however the websites tabs, do NOT work, so couldn't place my order OR contact them. - "Their loss!"

As I know and seen the performance of the ESS-ONE personally and know what to expect, I decided to order one yesterday from Asiatees, as they had 10% off as an Easter special, since I couldn't order the Gorillabox anyway.

Now I have to find a cheap old windows computer or tablet to run the software.
Not sure if the software will run on the old XP operating system. (I can pick up an old laptop with XP for $50)
I really don't want to spend another dime on a windows platform if I can help it! ... especially to run only ONE piece of windows only based software and I DON'T want to purchase a windows operating system to run windows off my intel mac.

For me, this is the biggest downfall of the ESS-ONE, not been mac compatible.
Last edited by stryker2; Apr 05, 2015 at 10:01 AM.
Apr 16, 2015, 04:06 PM
Make the best of all you have
Here is a little video of my RC4WD Defender D90 with an ESS-Pro sound system

and a Visaton EX 45 S (Exciter, Transducer) - perfect combination.

RC4WD Landrover Defender with Sense Hobby ESS Pro V8 Sound RC Crawler Scaler (4 min 47 sec)

Rolf

Quick Reply