Aug 14, 2018, 08:36 AM
Gator's here to see you:)
Glad you guys are enjoying your Decathlon. Sadly, mine is gone but as fate would have it I have a brand new wing, still in its original packaging, that I'd part with. Always good to have a spare for these beautiful birds. Check it out.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...shipping-conus
to remove ads between posts
Aug 14, 2018, 03:14 PM
I guess my rudder philosophy is a little different. I have limited flights on mine, but I have found this plane is very subject to adverse yaw. I have my rudder throws at the recommended travel and I find this plane needs some rudder in turns, it really drags it butt in the turns without rudder. I’ll play with it more and see if I find some adverse behaviors with larger rudder deflections.
Last edited by roversgonemad; Aug 14, 2018 at 06:17 PM.
Aug 14, 2018, 03:45 PM
I recently reacquired my GP/EP (two piece wing, non MK2) that I sold a couple years back. Absolutely loved flying it and was a bonehead move selling it.

I mostly flew it using rudder and some opposite aileron to make her turn nice. It felt and looked horrible just using ailerons in the turns. This airframe very much benefits from rudder use.
Aug 21, 2018, 04:01 PM
I just picked one of the Mk1 planes. Does anyone happen to have a set of the strut mounting hardware they could part with? Need both fuse end and wing end. Thank you
Sep 03, 2018, 05:44 PM
Maiden flight this weekend for my MKII. Using same set-up as my Dolphin. Suppo 4120/620kv with 12x8e prop and 6s, 3000mAh battery. Plenty of power for every maneuver I desire.

Flys nice. Taxi, take-off, and climb are smooth. Rolls are nice and inside/outside loops look good. Little forward pressure on the stick when inverted to maintain level flight...just as I like. Carries some speed on landing, but the roll-out is straight with good ground handling. Looks nice on the ground and in the air.

Build was simple, though I had to get creative with making a battery tray. I'm happy with how it turned out.
Sep 03, 2018, 07:29 PM
More flights with the Evolution 60NX. I have switched to the 12x6 prop and it's a good combo. Surprisingly, stalls are really pretty gentle. From the twitchy rudder reports, I was figuring on a wicked snap but it just drops a wing goes into a slow spin; recovery is easy with a touch of nose down and opposite rudder. I have found that it does a pretty good knife edge. I think the big fat fuselage really helps. There's definitely some coupling, and it pulls pretty hard to the canopy side, but a little down elevator counters that nicely. All in all, pretty pleased with this plane. I might even buy a new cowling, to get rid of the all the holes left over from the Magnum .61 install.
Oct 23, 2018, 06:57 AM
I'm being given a used one of these as a gift, only needing a motor (electric) and ESC. Not yet sure if it's a mk1 or mk2. It has a 2 piece plug in wing with aluminium spars. Either way I'm very happy to say the least.
Last edited by Phoenix239; Oct 23, 2018 at 07:27 AM.
Oct 23, 2018, 12:36 PM
Removable windscreen? If no, it’s a Mk2.

I enjoy my Decathon. It definitely needed the power of the .60 to wake it up. I can’t imagine flying it on a .46, at least not at any elevation above sea level.
Oct 26, 2018, 12:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roversgonemad
Removable windscreen? If no, it’s a Mk2.
Having had a good look at the model I don't think it's either as a; no removable windscreen and b; no removable door on the starboard side either. I think mine is a much earlier model designed for IC only, although a mount for an electric motor has been retro fitted to the firewall. The only access for battery changes is via removing the wings which is something of a pain. Also, the cowl has been quite poorly cut to accommodate an IC engine and will need replacing or lots of work to repair. Some of the other workmanship by the previous owner is dubious too and it's going to take some time and patience to correct many little niggly things before the model is anywhere near ready for flight.

Still, it was free and includes 4 servos so can't really complain too much I suppose.
Oct 26, 2018, 12:35 PM
It might not be Phoenix decathlon. Seems Seagull had one too.
Oct 26, 2018, 01:02 PM
Well, I was given the manual for the model just after my previous post and it's definitely a Phoenix Decathlon. The manual only shows provision for an IC motor and other details such as RX battery/switch, etc. The model also uses dowel pushrods for the tail surfaces. As I said before, it needs some TLC to be fully flight ready and at the moment I have so many other projects that the Decathlon may have to wait a while towards the bottom of a long list.
Oct 26, 2018, 01:09 PM
Sounds like a spectacular beater plane!! Completely over power it and have a ball!!
Oct 26, 2018, 01:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roversgonemad
Sounds like a spectacular beater plane!! Completely over power it and have a ball!!
Nice idea but not really my style. I'll get round to sorting it out one day.

Thanks for your comments by the way.
May 19, 2019, 05:58 AM
Build, Fly, Crash, repeat
Those of you that have the mk2 version, just how hard is it to get the battery in? Pics plz!

Also despite all the negative stuff I have heard/read about this model, it's such a beautiful bird at a good price I'm still willing to give it a shot, BUT, what motor, esc, props, and lipos have you guys found to work better with this plane? Anything that you guys have done that helps flight characteristics that's necessary? Looking at the mk2 version since its what's available on TH. And looking to make it electric
Last edited by big_poppa4904; May 19, 2019 at 06:18 AM.
May 21, 2019, 10:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_poppa4904
Those of you that have the mk2 version, just how hard is it to get the battery in? Pics plz!

Also despite all the negative stuff I have heard/read about this model, it's such a beautiful bird at a good price I'm still willing to give it a shot, BUT, what motor, esc, props, and lipos have you guys found to work better with this plane? Anything that you guys have done that helps flight characteristics that's necessary? Looking at the mk2 version since its what's available on TH. And looking to make it electric
Hello,

Please see my post above. Only item to add is that I'm using an 80 amp Hobbywing Skywalker ESC.

Installing battery is not hard. I did not install the hinges for the side door, so I can remove it completely for easier access to the battery. I used four small servo control horns to make door "clamps / latches" to keep the side door in place during flight. They work well and now I don't need tools to remove the side door.

I tried magnets at first, but I lost the door in flight. I had to make a new door from plastic sheeting (white and clear). I think it looks OK.

I'll take a few pictures this evening and post them for you.

Quick Reply