Nov 28, 2014, 12:36 AM
Thread OP
Contest

F5J Home Field World Cup

I am planning to set up an unofficial and informal postal home field competition for F5J pilots:

Fly the F5J task alone or with your friends, and send the results to global and national comparison. You can also download all your logged flights for your own analysis.

The webpage and the automated scoring system are now up and running for testing purposes:

http://fxj.fi/f5jcup

You can sign up with your real or nick name, but a working email must be used (it will not be shared). You should receive a link to your personal scoring card by email. Then you can start logging your real or imaginary flight data to the test database. Results should update automatically within a few minutes.

If the system seems to work and there seems to enough interest, I will clean the database in the end of the year, and we can start the real thing in January.

I would like to receive feedback and suggestions about all aspects of the idea: webpages, scoring system, language edits etc.

Let me know what you think!

Samu
to remove ads between posts
Nov 28, 2014, 03:44 AM
Hi,
Thanks for all your work to set up this , we compete in a couple of postal events already, it suits those of us who cannot always get to club events on a Sunday/Saturday.

Looks like fun,
Have now registered.
Only very minor point, never found a guess of start altitude works all that well.
I use my altimeter and now know how long my plane takes to reach 200 metres.
By counting up the motor run I can now judge reasonably well what height I am going to cut the motor.
However for this I will read off the altimeter after each flight.
Good luck with it all.
Ian
Nov 28, 2014, 05:05 AM
Thread OP
Thanks Ian, and many others who have sent a registration!

This real usage test already revealed that there is problem either with the google cloud or my script for the auto-responder. The system seems to take the registration and also calculates the results, but is not currently sending email correctly. I am going to do this manually until it gets fixed, so prepare to have some delay in the registration.

Guesswork for the start altitude is certainly very uncertain, but I am sure that after a few flights poeple get hooked to this, and buy a logger of some sort.

Samu
Nov 28, 2014, 09:54 AM
I'd rather be Flying
Sounds like fun
Nov 28, 2014, 10:03 AM
mostly gliders
Samu, thanks for this initiative, very good. I will definitely participate as often as I can.
If we are lucky, we meet on a real race also sometime.

/Ville
Nov 28, 2014, 10:48 AM
solastagia
Thanks for setting this up! Nice to have a F5J postal series.

Why is the landing being measured in cm and only out to 5m? The F5J rules just do points for one meter increments, and out to 10m. I have a landing tape suitable for F5J with 1m increments, but it doesn't have cm.

I'm not sure I like the scoring method that much, averaging in the 5 zero flights that are assigned every month. I would rather see everyone submit a set number of flights per month (3, 5?), maybe consecutively flown on one day. Being able to submit a large number of flights, averaged with 5 zeros, just adds one more huge variable to the overall results that clouds the scoring.

I think it would also be nice to divide the year up into quarters or thirds, and start a new round every 3 or 4 moths.

Kevin
Nov 28, 2014, 02:05 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Kevin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcaldwel
Why is the landing being measured in cm and only out to 5m? The F5J rules just do points for one meter increments, and out to 10m. I have a landing tape suitable for F5J with 1m increments, but it doesn't have cm.
The landing is measured until 50 meters (5000 cm). This is a mistake, a valid value should span to, say, 76 meters so that the flight can be scored zero if the landing happened more than 75 meters away. This could also be used to indicate a restart of the motor, if the pilot did not want to have a walk

It is true that that 1 m resolution would be enough for the input, because the score is calculated anyway based on that. I will change this.

Quote:
I'm not sure I like the scoring method that much, averaging in the 5 zero flights that are assigned every month. I would rather see everyone submit a set number of flights per month (3, 5?), maybe consecutively flown on one day. Being able to submit a large number of flights, averaged with 5 zeros, just adds one more huge variable to the overall results that clouds the scoring.
I see your point. I was trying to think of a solution that would reward both the quantity and quality of flying, and would also create some extra incentive for doing competition-like training, trying to squeeze every last bit out of each flight. The possibility to include unlimited flights should work that way. Those who are able to fly a lot, will have some advantage in comparison, but only up to a point.

I made a small illustration to show how it works. The plot shows the adjusted points as a function of the number of flights for three pilots with different point averages reflecting their flying skills and/or conditions. For simplicity I assumed that the pilots would fly their average every time, but adding quite a bit of random variation to flights does not change the overall behavior of the system. The horizontal line shows when the three pilots are even at 320 adjusted points (an example). The pilot with worst average can reach the best at 320 points by flying five times more. However, with that number of flights the pilot with the worst average is close to his/her achievable level, whereas the better ones can go past that level with only few more flights. The possibility to gather points by flying more would hopefully make us to kick our own butt and go flying and learning so that we can reach the top guys!
Nov 29, 2014, 07:16 AM
turn, turn, turn.
I am registered as well... Thanks for putting this on, I will do my best.

thanks to Rick for programming my logger.
Nov 29, 2014, 03:17 PM
I'd rather be Flying
Hi Samu, Does over flying the task (more than 600 seconds) result in a zero score for that flight?
When I click on the links (flights, CSV, national) on the score table I get a "you need permission" message.

Thanks, Dave
Last edited by davecee; Nov 29, 2014 at 03:23 PM.
Nov 30, 2014, 03:41 AM
I'd rather be Flying
My first two flights in this event.
Nov 30, 2014, 06:10 AM
turn, turn, turn.
nice flying Dave!... Like the climb out on that first flight.
Last edited by Kenny Sharp; Nov 30, 2014 at 07:36 AM.
Nov 30, 2014, 06:46 AM
MMR
MMR
Martian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Sharp
nice lying Dave!... Like the climb out on that first flight.
reudian slip?

Just kidding - really - just struck me how a small typo can change the meaning completely.

Martin
Nov 30, 2014, 07:36 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMR
reudian slip?

Just kidding - really - just struck me how a small typo can change the meaning completely.

Martin
Opps...flying!
Nov 30, 2014, 08:32 AM
I'd rather be Flying
Those were the first two logged flights on an old GP Spectra I've been flying. There was lift everywhere that day at the DESS field.
Nov 30, 2014, 08:38 AM
Service Engine Soon
Thanks Samu. Great idea! I was getting bored and looking for something to do this winter.
All signed up.

Quick Reply