Nov 27, 2014, 09:44 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Parkzone Artizan or Focke-Wulf FW-190A

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for a little help on choosing my 2nd airplane. I started flying this summer with a small Blade quadcopter before moving on to a champ and an Apprentice. I feel pretty confident now and would like something sportier and quite a bit quicker. I really like the Parkzone range of planes and they fit the cost and size I am looking for. I've heard the Artizan is a good plane but I'm not sure I like the look of it, on the other hand I love the look of their Focke Wulf 190 RTF but I really don't know how this would handle compared to the Artizan.

Soo if anyone has either of these planes and could suggest which might be better to improve my skills and which might be just generally more fun, I would love to hear from them. Also if there are any specific flight attributes that might help me decide such as 'one is much faster or more aerobatic' etc that would be great to know too!

Also I understand there are dedicated threads for both of these planes but I'd really like to know how they stack up against each other and which would offer more as a second airplane.

Thanks,

Liam
Last edited by liam4; Nov 27, 2014 at 09:56 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 27, 2014, 11:32 AM
Actually, I had both (sold the FW190) and would not recommend either as a second plane. There are characteristics to each plane that makes it unsuitable for someone of your flying skill.

The FW190, while not particularly a fast plane, is pretty stable in the air, but not very aerobatic. The main reason I would not recommend it is because of the landing characteristics. The plane, like most warbirds, likes to land with a bit of speed and will tend to nose over if the landing isn't near perfect. Loops are a breeze to do, and rolls are a bit slow. Flying it is easy, it's the take offs and landings that will bite you on this one if you are still a newbie.

The ArtiZan, being a mid wing aerobat will most likely get away from you quickly. It is quite a bit faster than the FW-190 and way faster than the Apprentice. Even on low rates, rolls and spins are pretty axial and the plane is VERY aerobatic. To a beginner, the plane will feel really twitchy and sensitive. There is virtually no dihedral in the wings and it's not very stable in the hands of a newbie.

Since you are used to the Apprentice and it's trike style landing gear, may I suggest the Parkzone T-28 Trojan (not the micro) as your next plane. It flies very stable and predictable and landings will be easier because of the landing gear setup.
Nov 27, 2014, 11:41 AM
lgs
lgs
Larry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69

Since you are used to the Apprentice and it's trike style landing gear, may I suggest the Parkzone T-28 Trojan (not the micro) as your next plane. It flies very stable and predictable and landings will be easier because of the landing gear setup.
This is a realy good sugestion for your next plane. It was designed by the military as a trainer and the Pk version lives up to that tradition.

I see guys that fly much faster planes at the SDSF field everyday put their 1st or 2nd T-28 into the air just because they still love it!
Nov 27, 2014, 11:46 AM
IMO, the Artizan would work out very good.
I definitely wouldn't recommend the FW 190 at this point.

The Artizan is very easy to take off & land.
I have a lot of flights on mine & had it out again yesterday.
It will take off straight without any rudder input at all & unbelievably easy to land.
You can buy it with AS3X which would make it even easier to fly, but it doesn't need it.
If you use low throws at first, i don't see it being a problem for you at all.
It is capable of pretty much any aerobatic maneuver, so IMO, you will not get bored with it for a long time.
I have said this before: it is the best Sport/Aerobatic plane this size i have ever flown & i have flown a lot of planes over the last 3 years.
Nov 28, 2014, 11:03 AM
I just bought the artisan as my second plane yesterday, will reply again after I get it in the air, I'm coming from a few years of cp heli flying and a few months with a trainer plane, hope I'm not jumping the gun?
Nov 28, 2014, 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mehelicrasher
I just bought the artisan as my second plane yesterday, will reply again after I get it in the air, I'm coming from a few years of cp heli flying and a few months with a trainer plane, hope I'm not jumping the gun?

Great choice !
You're going to love it.
If you are comfortable with a 4 channel trainer plane, you won't have any problem flying the Artizan.
Looking forward to your flight report.
Nov 29, 2014, 05:00 AM
Thread OP
Thanks for all the great info and suggestions guys!!

Chucksolo & Lgs, I really like the look of the T-28 and had considered it originally but I think I was just a bit afraid that I might out grow it as quick as I did the Apprentice and be hankering for something quicker and more aerobatic within a few months.

Is the Artizan much more of a handful than the T-28?

Mehelicraher, can't wait to hear how you get on! Good luck with your maiden :-p
Nov 29, 2014, 11:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by liam4
Thanks for all the great info and suggestions guys!!

Chucksolo & Lgs, I really like the look of the T-28 and had considered it originally but I think I was just a bit afraid that I might out grow it as quick as I did the Apprentice and be hankering for something quicker and more aerobatic within a few months.

Is the Artizan much more of a handful than the T-28?

Mehelicraher, can't wait to hear how you get on! Good luck with your maiden :-p
I have never owned a T-28, but i have flown a couple (micro & the bigger one)
For me, they would get boring fairly soon.
Of course you can put on a bigger motor & make the T-28 faster, but for me, faster alone wouldn't keep me flying it.
If you can do anything the Apprentice is capable of & you're bored with it now, you won't have any problem flying the Artizan.

Note: All you guys that love your T-28's don't need to dispute what i said here (just my opinion from my experiences)
Nov 29, 2014, 03:21 PM
The fact of my T28 hanging on the wall unflown for this whole past year is testament to what you said clive. It had its place in my learning curve but i have moved on.
Nov 29, 2014, 03:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangie5169
The fact of my T28 hanging on the wall unflown for this whole past year is testament to what you said clive. It had its place in my learning curve but i have moved on.
I know one guy that has probably had at least 6 or more Parkzone T-28's.
He learned to fly a couple of trainer planes & then went with the T-28.
He has bought & wrecked many other planes over the last couple years & then goes back to the T-28.
He has destroyed the T-28's also, but at least they have lasted longer than the other planes he has tried.
He's one of those that just hasn't been able to improve his flying skills enough to enjoy more aerobatic or harder to fly planes.
Obviously, for him, the T-28 is a great plane & being a trike, he has no problem with take offs.
If i didn't want more challenges with more aerobatic planes, i would probably have a T-28 also (one step above a 4 channel trainer plane).
Last edited by Clive66; Nov 29, 2014 at 03:43 PM.
Dec 02, 2014, 07:16 AM
Thread OP
Ok I've decided to go with the Artizan!

I'm wondering if its worth paying the extra for the BNF to get AS3X?
Dec 02, 2014, 11:05 AM
If you will be flying in wind often, the AS3X may be nice to have, if not then i wouldn't spend the extra money.

I have flown mine in medium winds with no problem & mine doesn't have AS3X.
Dec 02, 2014, 01:33 PM
Thread OP
Cool, thanks Clive! My flying club is quite windy so prob worth the extra money
Dec 07, 2014, 04:29 PM
Finally had nice enough weather to maiden artizan, man do I love this plane, still learning to land smooth, had to land in fairly tall grass today due to wind gust, but plane is very forgiving in nose overs which happened on all 3 flights(no damage though) This is my second plane coming from a delta ray.
Last edited by mehelicrasher; Dec 07, 2014 at 04:30 PM. Reason: spelling
Dec 07, 2014, 06:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mehelicrasher
Finally had nice enough weather to maiden artizan, man do I love this plane, still learning to land smooth, had to land in fairly tall grass today due to wind gust, but plane is very forgiving in nose overs which happened on all 3 flights(no damage though) This is my second plane coming from a delta ray.
Good to hear about your first flights with the Artizan (I was sure you would like it)
It takes off & lands better than any sport/aerobatic plane i have ever flown & even better than a lot of 4 channel trainer planes.
I have to be careful not to get too spoiled with it, because i fly a lot of other planes that don't even come close to being as easy to take off & land as the Artizan.
This is funny (I just got a Delta Ray to have fun with it in a park where i go to fly some)
Pulled the gear off, upped the throws & i have a ball flying it low & close around the park (looks & sounds cool)

Quick Reply