Nov 26, 2014, 12:46 PM
Discussion

F5J? ALES? What's the difference?

Please excuse my ignorance, but what are the differences, if any, between F5J and ALES? Thanks in advance.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 26, 2014, 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by romanl
Please excuse my ignorance, but what are the differences, if any, between F5J and ALES? Thanks in advance.
In the simplest terms, in ALES competition everybody launches to the same altitude (usually 150 or 200M).
In F5J competition, each pilot decides how high to launch.
Points are subtracted for launch height, so a pilot who completes the duration time with a lower launch scores higher than a pilot who competes the duration time with a higher launch.

There are other minor differences, but launch height is the main one.

Good luck,
Lenny
Nov 26, 2014, 02:58 PM
Red Merle ALES VII SJ
F5J flight time is reduced by 1/2 point per meter of launch to 200m, then 3 points per meter.

F5J adds the landing score to the flight score prior to normalization whereas ALES normalizes the flight score than adds the landing bonus.

Curtis
Nov 26, 2014, 04:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by romanl
skill Roman

Philip
Nov 26, 2014, 09:16 PM
Thanks for the replies; I think I get it now.
Nov 27, 2014, 08:36 AM
hey there Roman

we're flying F5J at Mesa Bowl on Saturday, starts at 9am

Philip
Nov 28, 2014, 09:33 PM
So noted, Philip, but I have another commitment. Perhaps another time.
Nov 29, 2014, 04:31 AM
From a "european" point of vieuw some remarks towards the differences described here between ALES and F5J.
Reading some comments here, F5J is described as the experts class were special skills are required to take part. You only stand a chance to compete in F5J when you manage to find thermals below 100ft........
Ofcourse the big difference between ALES and F5J is the fact that the altitude at which you start your gliding fase is taken into account for your score and indeed this altitude is very often the decider in fly-offs but first of all you have to get into these fly-offs. In most competitions, during normals rounds it is very usual that the starting altitude, on average, is somewere between 100 and 150 meters but this all depends on the weather conditions. I flew some perfect rounds last season (1000 points) with a starting altitude of 180 meters and that was in a national competititon, not a club contest. . So all off that is possible and should keep nobody away from having a go at F5J.
F5J is a great class asking for good thermal skills, but as a true glider pilot that is what attracts me. The competition is not decided on engine power or your landing skills but on making the best of the air available. And when reading the air well and being able (and have the guts) to stop that motor up front early, well thats just an extra kick
Nov 29, 2014, 07:00 AM
Marc PUJOL Paris,Fr
F5j means "take the lift 10 seconds after motor switched-off at a lowest altitude than the others, fly 10 min and land gently on the spot (less than 1m). Of course do it every time...
Nov 29, 2014, 07:10 AM
turn, turn, turn.
F5J rewards the guys with the weakest motor combo...it gives them time to see where others cut off, so they can cut off lower.
Nov 29, 2014, 07:16 AM
No Kenny, the weaker motor combos can't range as far nor as quickly. Could easily miss a low thermal by being late to the right spot, and have to hook up higher incurring a bigger launch height penalty.

My philosophy is to have the highest power setup I can while maintaining correct CG and keeping overall weight as close to the TD version of the same plane. Both my e-Maxa and e-Supra are no more than 3 oz heavier all up than their TD brothers.

JT
Nov 29, 2014, 07:17 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtlsf5
No Kenny, the weaker motor combos can't range as far nor as quickly. Could easily miss a low thermal by being late to the right spot, and have to hook up higher incurring a bigger launch height penalty.

My philosophy is to have the highest power setup I can while maintaining correct CG and keeping overall weight as close to the TD version of the same plane. Both my e-Maxa and e-Supra are no more than 3 oz heavier all up than their TD brothers.

JT
K...thanks!
Nov 29, 2014, 08:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtlsf5
JT
100% correct
Nov 29, 2014, 12:34 PM
E sailplane thermal hack
Sounds much more interesting than ALES,,hope it eventually catches on here, even though I'd probably suck at it ;-)

Ps edit : I heard somewhere that in F5J that if you go OVER 10 min,, it's a zero flight, is that true?? :-O

Quick Reply